Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing - rough price

Options
  • 28-03-2006 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

I posted recently about a leak in my front garden, it now looks like the lead piping in place might have to be replaced from the front garden inwards.

At the moment the pipe runs up the front garden and into the house (not exactly sure where it enters the house). I think I'd need to dig a trench following the pipe (I can do this part) and then potentially drill a small tunnel/hole under the driveway and then enter the house alongside where the gas pipe enters (thus minimising the damage/hassle of fitting this pipe).
    Once the pipe follows the gas main it can easily re-connect to the original pipework which is accessible under the stairs.

Question is, what would all this cost roughly?

I can dig the trench and expose the pipe but drilling under the driveway or cutting a channel into the concrete I can't do. I can even buy the replacement piping (assuming it's not hugely expensive but I think it's just plastic).

Rough estimates of legths involved:

Garden length: About 20ft
    Driveway width: Roughly 6ft.

Any rough ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

I posted recently about a leak in my front garden, it now looks like the lead piping in place might have to be replaced from the front garden inwards

Any particular reason why? It is possible to get a special compression fitting that can be used on lead pipe to heavy gauge plastic. Just replace the bad section of pipe, it will save a lot of digging.
    I think I'd need to dig a trench following the pipe

If you get the pipe exposed in the garden and take the easiest route to the pipe in the house, you dont have to follow the existing pipe (not unless their is another taping off it). If you do go this route, try and keep the pipe 12" or more below the ground otherwise it may freeze on cold winters night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭chabsey

flocker wrote:
    Any particular reason why? It is possible to get a special compression fitting that can be used on lead pipe to heavy gauge plastic. Just replace the bad section of pipe, it will save a lot of digging.

Well, I've been told it's better to replace the lead piping entirely. However, I may end up using that compression fitting you mention, as it would save time and money.

Just out of curiousity, any ideas of the cost of doing what I detailed in the original post?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

what would all this cost roughly

Until some one see's the job you wont get a price, even then they will probably do it on time and material.

If you do get a price it will be loaded in the tradesman favour. Better to get someone to look at whats involved. They might be able to offer some alternatives.

Advertisement