Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Kilcoole..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

There is a MAN planned for NMK/Kilcoole and from what I have heard a lot of the fibre has already been laid. The benefit of this for residents of Kilcoole is that it may attract Smart to the area as they have been using some of the MAN's to backhaul.

Another option would off course be a WISP - but there is a new WISP coming online in Kilcoole shortly who don't make use of the MAN.

HTH

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭goldilocked

Cheers for the reply! I wonder if anyone knows how long it will be before the fibre optic network will be available to households in Kilcoole.

I am aware of the wireless solution that should be available soon, and am probably going to go with it. I am a little wary though, in work we use a wireless provider and the connection (both availability and bandwidth) is quite erratic. I don't know if this is a function of wireless technology or of the service provider, about whom many complaints have been made, not least on this forum.

G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Cheers for the reply! I wonder if anyone knows how long it will be before the fibre optic network will be available to households in Kilcoole.QUOTE]

If your talking about FTTH then mabye a decade if your very lucky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

I wonder if anyone knows how long it will be before the fibre optic network will be available to households in Kilcoole.

The MAN's are not designed for end user connectivity, they are intended to promote the provision of BB services by alternative providers as the MAN gives them a fibre backhaul which is not reliant on Eircom.

Cheers

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭goldilocked

Thanks,

So I suppose the question becomes, how long will it be before any providers are able to use the FO backhaul and provide a service to people living in Kilcoole?

I can probably guess that no one can answer this and therefore it means a long way out, so wireless is the way to go for the foreseeable future...

G.

• Advertisement
Advertisement