Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent TSB Current Account/Service - Any Good?

Options
  • 28-03-2006 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I currently (no pun intended :)) do all my banking through AIB; in my case that's:
    - Current Account
    - Direct Debits
    - Laser Card
    - AIB MasterCard.
    - Online/Internet Banking

I have to admit, I'm a BIG fan of their Online/Internet Banking - especially with the recent additions to the service - but the constant deductions for this, that and the other is starting to make me wonder if it's worth it.

Like everyone, I've seen Permanent TSB's ads for switching your account, and the website does make it look like an attractive package, but I thought I'd get some feedback here first. IS it as good as it seems, or are there catches buried in the fine print? What's their Internet Banking service like?

Any opinions appreciated... thanks in advance folks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Hi all,

I currently (no pun intended :)) do allmy banking through AIB; in my case that's:
    - Current Account
    - Direct Debits
    - Laser Card
    - AIB MasterCard.
    - Online/Internet Banking

I have to admit, I'm a BIG fan of their Online/Internet Banking - especially with the recent additions to the service - but the constant deductions for this, that and the other is starting to make me wonder if it's worth it.

Like everyone, I've seen Permenant TSB's ads for switching your account, and the website does make it look like an attractive package, but I thought I'd get some feedback here first. IS it as good as it seems, or are there catches buried in the fine print. What's their Internet Banking service like?

Tis funny. I was in the exact same situation as you. Regular AIB user for 10 years. Loved the on-line banking - hated the fees. We switched to TSB only a few weeks ago. I've had no issues with TSB so far. Very efficient and professional. This might have something to do with the fact we have dealt with the brand new branch in Galway. I hear the older branch (out by the headford road shopping centre) are a nightmare to deal with.

TSB's internet banking is fine. So far no worse than AIB.

Would highly recommend moving. Fúck AIB and their fee's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Im also an AIB customer and same as Kaiser I was thinking of moving to TSB permanent, strange:confused:
    Any customer of other banks dissatisfied?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

After we had started the change bank process Aib had the cheek to ring my wife up to see if there was anything they could do to keep us, such as free banking fees. Too little too late. E40 per quater we were paying on fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

LOL, pity the fool with his AIB account.

I had a student accoutn up until last year when I finally left college, was a hard time for me but seeing as I was already in full employment for 6 years I said I better make the break from my no fee's student account.

So looked around, 20 secs later had the solution, Ulster Bank, keep over 500 quid in the account always and you get free banking, so I did this for around a year to hear that shock, horror, terror Ulster Bank are going to just get rid of all banking charges. Ahh it was a sweet day when I returned to the no fee account and had a nice extra 500 quid in the bank which brought me on a lovely ski holiday in Bulgaria:D

It still amazes me how many people pay:

1. Huge interest fees on CC bills
    2. Pays a fortune each month to a bank for taking a few quid out.

I think people in Ireland these days do have 2 much money they don't bother to shop around for a great deal. I can tell you they are out there......they shouldnt call it "Rip off Ireland" but "Lazy Ireland":D

Oh yeah forgot but why do you need a Lazer card and a Credit card?

Also every bank these days has online banking so thats not a reason to stay with a bank, Ulster bank and Bank of Irelands onlien was greta when I used it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Big Nelly wrote:
    LOL, pity the fool with his AIB account.

I think people in Ireland these days do have 2 much money they don't bother to shop around for a great deal. I can tell you they are out there......they shouldnt call it "Rip off Ireland" but "Lazy Ireland":D

Well the thing I hate about AIB is that I have my ssia with them and when I went to the PTSB to change over, they said AIB were delaying payments into the ssia a/c from external bank accounts. I also asked AIB this and they agreed with the statement. (The aul overnight markets and all that)

I have taken their word for it and since I dont want to default any ssia payments, I have to put up with them for another year. I presume that they know that they are "guaranteed" that a good number of their ssia and a/c holders will believe them (like me :o) because they dont want to lose out on the ssia.

I'll wager you that they remove their fees towards the end of the ssia, when the migration begins to gain strength...
    Big Nelly wrote:
    Oh yeah forgot but why do you need a Lazer card and a Credit card?

That one is easy, you pretty much can't use your Laser Card on the Internet or abroad for purchaces.

L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 dinkydee

I switched to ptsb and have found one problem, it takes 6 days to clear a cheque with them or if you lodge money through another bank manually. Electronic transfer only takes a couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i changed from aib to ptsb and found no problems at all.really friendly staff and professional service unlike boi and aib.

also there online banking is good

nereid wrote:
    That one is easy, you pretty much can't use your Laser Card on the Internet or abroad for purchaces.

L.

Yeah but you use a laser card in exactly the same way as you would use a credit card in a shop? I don't see any advantage to having the two. You can use a credit card for online purchases, in shops, taking out cash. A laser card is the exact same. Do you pay tax on a laser card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i was happy with ptsb until this morning when i went to order 6 months bank statments and i was charged 2.50 per page:eek: .so i still donot know how many pages there will be as he didnot tell me over the phone.even though i have a mortage account with them.i think thats just a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I've an AIB Cashsave a/c (and CC and SSIA) from college days and still pay no fees. Girlfriend has a BOI a/c.

We have a PTSB joint a/c

Branch wise there's no difference at all. Think AIB's online services are far better than the others but not enough to pay for.

There is simply no excuse to be paying fees

• Advertisement

drdre wrote:
    i was happy with ptsb until this morning when i went to order 6 months bank statments and i was charged 2.50 per page:eek: .so i still donot know how many pages there will be as he didnot tell me over the phone.even though i have a mortage account with them.i think thats just a rip off.

Who in there right mind gave you a morgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Like everyone, I've seen Permanent TSB's ads for switching your account, and the website does make it look like an attractive package, but I thought I'd get some feedback here first. IS it as good as it seems, or are there catches buried in the fine print? What's their Internet Banking service like?

Check out
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=107346

• Moderators Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭Spocker

nereid wrote:

You can, for both. CDWOW, for example, take Laser cards (through Worldpay, and by implication any other merchant that uses them as well) and if your Laser has Maestro branding, you can use it abroad as well, comes directly from your account (used mine in the UK a couple of weeks ago, no problems)
    Big Nelly wrote:
    Do you pay tax on a laser card?

You do pay the fee for a Laser card it's €10/year. I don't agree that Laser and Credit cards are the same though - if you take out money on your Laser its your money from your account; if it's on a credit card it's their money that the bank have agreed to lend you for a certain interest charge plus fees.....

To answer the OP's question, why not threaten to move to PTSB and see will AIB drop/reduce their charges. Might be worth a try at least....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Dr. Spock wrote:
    You can, for both. CDWOW, for example, take Laser cards (through Worldpay, and by implication any other merchant that uses them as well) and if your Laser has Maestro branding, you can use it abroad as well, comes directly from your account (used mine in the UK a couple of weeks ago, no problems)

Yeah, but, if you want to hire a car in Italy, or buy a watch in Brussels, or go out for dinner in a restaurant in France, then more retailers accept Visa.

Numerous places ask for a cc as an asurity when booking a hotel room for example too. I don't think that they accept Laser as redily. Open to correction of course.
    Dr. Spock wrote:
    To answer the OP's question, why not threaten to move to PTSB and see will AIB drop/reduce their charges. Might be worth a try at least....;)
    ...Already tried this... No such luck. The lady told me nicely "but thats how we make our money - the charges" :rolleyes: Bloody Hell! And what money. Feckers.

If you do try, and they do listen to you, let us know so we can all try...

L.

Advertisement