Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's in store for Book 7

Options
  • 28-03-2006 3:38pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is all from the-leaky-cauldron.org

The following things will happen, according to the timeline and practices set by other books or things Jo Rowling has said:

Harry will turn 17. He will be allowed to perform magic outside school, and obtain an Apparition license.

Harry and his friends would be in his seventh year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry - however, we don't know if he will attend class at all, or if Hogwarts will be open.

Harry will return to the Dursleys one last time.

He plans on starting his Horcrux hunt in Godric's Hollow. Ron and Hermione will accompany him, but the trio will first attend Bill and Fleur's wedding.

Seventh-year students will take NEWTs, the most difficult of wizarding tests.

The last chapter will contain details of what will happen to survivors. The last word is still "scar" (but may easily change).

There will be no Quidditch.

Harry and Ron will never read Hogwarts, A History. Never, Hermione. Ever.

There will be the final, climactic confrontation between Harry and Voldemort. (Harry's going to win, Harry's going to win, Harry's going to win...oh, sorry. That's just our opinion. Sort of. In a not-very-unlikely-opinion sort of way.)

Interview notes: We have all been obsessing about J.K. Rowling quotes for years; many of them haven't been clear on which book they reference. As there's only one book left, there are certain facts we can pull out of her interview quotes (using her Web site and Quick Quotes), which give us yet more clues as to what will happen in book seven.

The locked Ministry room may resurface. "No comment," said Jo, when TLC/MN asked her if we'd see it again.

We'll hear about Dumbledore's other letters to Petunia. Jo said, on her FAQ section:

What did Dumbledore's Howler to Aunt Petunia mean? ('Remember my last'?) ...Dumbledore is referring to his last letter, which means, of course, the letter he left upon the Dursleys' doorstep when Harry was one year old. But why then (you may well ask) did he not just say 'remember my letter?' Why did he say my last letter? Why, obviously because there were letters before that...
    Now let the speculation begin, and mind you type clearly, I'll be watching...

P.S. It has been suggested that I am wrong in saying that Dumbledore's last letter was the one he left on the doorstep with baby Harry, and that he has sent a letter since then concerning Harry's illegal flight to school. However, both Dumbledore and I differentiate between letters sent to the Dursleys as a couple, and messages directed to Petunia ALONE. And that's my final word on the subject - though I doubt it will be yours :)

There is yet more to Petunia than we know. This may relate to the above, but J.K. Rowling said the following at the Edinburgh Book Festival in 2004; since it wasn't delivered upon in book six, it remains for seven: "You might have got the impression that there is a little bit more to Aunt Petunia than meets the eye, and you will find out what it is. She is not a squib, although that is a very good guess. Oh, I am giving a lot away here. I am being shockingly indiscreet. "

Umbridge will return. "It's too much fun to torture her and not have another little bit before I finish." (TLC/MN interview)

There is yet more to come about Rita Skeeter: Also at the Edinburgh Book Festival: "I actually quite like Rita. She is loathsome - morally, she's horrible - but I can't help admiring her toughness. She is very determined to do the job and there is something quite engaging about that. There is more to come on Rita."

We will discover what Dudley saw when the Dementor approached in book five. Someone asked this in the World Book Day chat; Jo said, " Ah, good question. You'll find out! "

The two-way mirror from book five will likely resurface. (World Book Day Chat)

We will find out what happened to Sirius's flying motorbike, "but the real sleuths among you might be able to guess." (World Book Day)

Krum will appear. (World Book Day)

Grindelwald as something to do with the remaining plot. (TLC/MN interview)

Sirius may appear again, though in which form is uncertain. The infamous question from the World Book Day chat read, "If we ever see Sirius again, what form will he be in?" Jo said, "I couldn't possibly answer that for fear of incriminating myself."

We will find out a little bit more about Harry's grandparents. (World Book Day)

Harry's eye color (or something about his eyes resembling his mother's) is very important to this book. (Many chats; World Book Day, most recently, but there's also this nugget from the Boston Globe from 1999: "But he has his mother's eyes and that's very important in a future book."

Wormtail's life-debt to Harry will come into play. (World Book Day.)

James and Lily Potter's professions/more about their lives will be revealed. (AOL Chat, 2000) This is "important to a future plot," as Jo revealed to Scholastic in Feb. 2000.

The gleam of triumph seen in Dumbledore's eyes at the end of book four is still enormously important. (TLC/MuggleNet Interview, July 2005, and others.)

Harry may time-travel again. Jo has said "Not telling!" to this question, usually the kind of dodge that means there's something related to it upcoming in the books. (AOL Chat, 2000)

A non-magical character will perform magic in "desperate circumstances." Jo said this would happen back in 1999, in a Barnes and Noble chat, but it has yet to occur. She said, "There is a character who does manage in desperate circumstances to do magic quite late in life, but that is very rare in the world I am writing about."

Mr. Weasley's car will appear. Jo said in a 1999 Barnes and Noble Chat, chat that we "will hear from Mr. Weasley's car again, but yet again, I'm not telling you how." Only one book left!

Snape Snape Snape, itsa Snape, alwaysa Snape... from "The Connection, 1999":

There's an important kind of redemptive pattern to Snape. He, um, there's so much I wish I could say to you, and I can't because it would ruin. I promise you, whoever asked that question, can I just say to you that I'm slightly stunned that you've said that and you'll find out why I'm so stunned if you read Book 7. That's all I'm going to say.

One of Harry's classmates will become a Hogwarts teacher. Also revealed in The Connection. C'mon, Jo, we know Neville takes over for Sprout - which means he won't die, right? Please? Please? ... Fine, be that way.

A huge piece of information is coming about Lily Potter. Also revealed in The Connection. "...you'll find out something incredibly important about her in Book 7. But I can't tell you what those things are so I'm sorry, but yes, you will find out more about her because both of them are very important in what Harry ends up having to do. "

We will find out why some witches and wizards become ghosts and some do not. (Scholastic, Feb. 2000)

The "Godric" in "Godric's Hollow" is not insignificant. Lizo conducted a four-part interview in 2000, in which the following exchange took place:

The significance of the place where Harry and his parents lived - the first name... Godric Gryffindor. Very good, you're a bit good you are aren't you. I'm impressed. You're not going to tell me but... My editor didn't, I said to her - Haven't you noticed the connection between where Harry's parents lived and one of the Hogwarts houses? And she said no, no - I'm not being rude about Emma, she's a brilliant editor, the best ever. But no she didn't pick that up either, you're a bit good you are.

And to assist you further in your clue-finding quest, here's a list of rumors J.K. Rowling has debunked recently:

Aunt Petunia is not magical, nor will she ever perform magic.

Lupin will not be back as a Defense Against the Dark Arts teacherin book seven.

Peter Pettigrew's silver hand will not be used to kill Remus Lupin.

J.K. Rowling will not write a book about Lily and James when she's done writing Harry Potter.

The Sorting Hat is not a Horcrux.

Mrs. Norris is not an unregistered Animagus.

Harry is not a Metamorphmagus.

Dumbledore is not Ron or Harry from the future.

Nicolas Flamel will not teach potions at Hogwarts.

Luna and Neville will not "hook up."

The Lestranges were not sent after Neville to kill him.

Neither Voldemort nor Dumbledore are Harry's close relatives.

Lily was never a Death Eater.

Lily Potter is not alive.

Crookshanks is not an Animagus.

Neville is not Pettigrew's son.

Lupin does not have a twin.

I simply cannot wait for this book! It's so frustrating because JK lives about 2 miles down the road from me and I just want to go in there and shake her until she tells me what's going to happen! I'm tempted to do a Misery after the books are finished...

People are speculating that it's gonna be released on the 7/7/07. She's made many references to 7 being a magical number. She's also said that the book will take her about a year to write (she has started it already) and that would put a finishing date around the end of 06, start of 07. It usually takes about 6 months to be published after completion.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I think she has quite firmly said before that book 7 will be the last

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, book 7 will defo be the last!

Of course, that's not taking into account my plan to kidnap her and do a Misery... Harry Potter can't end!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I'd put money on the Harry Potter world ending with Book 7. I think she'll go on to write more adult novels after a looooong break.

Will she bother though? She defo doesn't need the money, and it'll be impossible to get away from HP unless she uses a pseudonym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭supersheep

WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS
    AVOID IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE

(don't wanna use spoiler tags)
    Just started to re-read Half-Blood Prince about three-and-a-half hours ago (much quicker than I thought I was last time...) and I picked up a POSSIBLE Horcrux. Very very tenuous I know, but I think I'll throw it out.

One of the Horcruxes is one of the objects that Tom had in the box when Dumbledore came to visit him in the orphanage. I'm thinking the thimble.
    Remember what the book says at the end of Chapter 13?
    "The ring's gone," said Harry, looking around. "But I thought you might have the mouth-organ or something."
    Dumbledore beamed at him, peering over the top of his half-moon spectacles.
    "Very astute Harry, but the mouth-organ was only ever a mouth-organ."
    And on that enigmatic note he waved to Harry, who understood himself to be dismissed.

• Advertisement

When I first read your post, I thought it said "started to re-read Half-Blood Prince about three-and-a-half months ago! I was concerned!

Anywho, interesting theory, but I don't think it's right. The other horcruxes are important things that mean something, like the locket and the ring. They belonged to well known, (in)famous wizards. The thimble was just something Tom stole from another kid. It meant nothing to him. Remember that at the end of Ch. 13, Harry doesn't know about the horcruxes. What Dumbledore means is that the ring was a horcrux, but the mouth organ wasn't.

Also, when Harry finds out about the horcruxes, he confuses them with portkeys. Dumbledore says to him:
    You are thinking of Portkeys, Harry, which must be ordinary objects, easy to overlook. But Lord Voldemort use tin cans or old potion bottles to guard his own precious soul? You are forgetting what I have shown you. Lord Voldemort liked to collect trophies, and he preferred objects with a powerful magical history.

However, JK does like to surprise people, so it could still be possible!

I know it's pretty far out, but it's still possible. Those things may have been important to him, especially seeing as they were something he would probably associate with magic (losing them on the day he finds out) or alternatively revenge.
    After all, so far we only have identified the ring, the locket, the diary, Nagini, and probably Hufflepuff's cup. So unless there's something of Rowena Ravenclaw's out there, it's as good a guess as any.
    It wouldn't be powerfully magic, but it would be a trophy. Especially if it belonged to Amy Benson, and RAB ain't Regulus...

It is defo still possible, and I like your thinking about Amy Benson. But that would mean she's a witch and wouldn't she have turned up in Hogwarts then?

Also, JK has said that Harry returning to Godric's (as in Gryffindor) Hollow in the last book is important, so maybe he'll find something of Gryffindors there that may be a horcrux?

That's a possibility all right, but I don't think there's a Horcrux at Godric's Hollow - after all, he was 'killed' (for want of a better word) there, and I doubt he'd hide one there while the Potters were still there. Now, if he had killed Harry, then it's likely that he would have made a Horcrux and hid it there (probably out of Gryffindor's thing).
    Still, it's a good idea. I wouln't dismiss it out of hand.

As for Amy Benson, I wish it was mine, but no... The way she'd not end up in Hogwarts is that she's a Squib who only flourished later on - like Merope Gaunt, for example.
    Unfortunately, Black in Dutch in Zwartz (I think) and RAB is RAZ in the Dutch edition... It was a nice theory, but unless it's Amy Zewnson in that edition, I think it seems less likely.

Also, I think we'll find out why Snape felt remorse over betraying the Potters. I think it's because Severus had a secret crush on a certain L.E...

I was under the impression that Merope Gaunt was just really nervous when her father was there and it made her spells go awry, not that she was a squib. If she was, then it was a very sudden transformation into a full blown witch who could perform the Imperius curse and/or brew a love potion. Where would she have learnt these, considering her father and brother were in Azkaban?

As for Snape and Lily, I have heard this mentioned before. However, in "Snape's Worst Memory" in book 5, he calls her a mudblood and does not behave like a guy with a crush. Still, it's very plausible but I don't like it!

Speaking of Snape, do you think he's good or evil? And is Dumbledore really dead or is it an elaborate hoax to make everyone think he is?

• Advertisement

Good, he killed Dumbledore because Dumbledore told him too. And Dumbledore is dead - to be honest, I don't want him to come back, it'd be a copout. Of course, he'll be there in portraits and in Pensieve, but not alive.

Snape calling Lily a mudblood? coughronandhermionecough... Not prezackly the same, but you know what I mean.

Squib mightn't have been the right word... But it does show there is a precedent for folk who hadn't been at Hogwarts or who hadn't shown magical aptitude before to gain it or dramatically increase in it. After all, there is a certain level of aptitude you need to get into Hogwarts. Say Amy Benson was just about a Squib, then when she hits 18 she suddenly starts going magic - around the same time as Voldie hits the big-time evilwise.

Random-invented-crazy-left-of-field theory I just came up with out of nowhere - imagine if Amy Benson was an ex-lover/confidante of Voldie's... (I know this is the sort of thing a fanfic author would come up with...)

Because of the whole speech Dumbledore makes to Malfoy on the tower about how they can hide him more completely then he can imagine, I still hold out hope that Dumbledore is alive. If he is, though, I doubt it would be revealed until the end of book 7.
    Dumbledore wrote:
    “[Voldemort] cannot kill you if you are already dead. Come over to the right side, Draco, and we can hide you more completely than you can possibly imagine."

I just read a really interesting theory about Snape, where the author makes a very convincing argument about Snape actually being the main antagonist of the
    series. She says that Snape is working for himself, not Dumbledore or Voldemort, and he plays them against each other to lead to his own eventual victory. You should have a read of it, and the other editorial it mentions:

http://www.mugglenet.com/editorials/editorials/edit-mwalker01.shtml

I can't see JK cheapening the emotional impact of Dumbledore's death by bringing him back. If he is there in anything other than picture/Pensieve form I will be very VERY peeved. I may hurl the book across the room - more likely just rant though, because hardbacks probably can do some damage to the wall.

The Snape-as-antagonist theory is good, but I don't hold with it. There are two holes I see off the bat. First is, Snape would have had to have KNOWN that Voldemort would pick Harry and that Lily would have given her life and that it would have rebounded it onto Voldemort. A bit far-fetched, and if there's anyone I see Snape having a soft spot for, it's Lily Evans.
    Secondly, the author makes the mistake of assuming that just because Harry hates Snape more than Voldemort, he thinks that killing Snape is more important.
    Captain Carrot said it best: "Personal isn't the same as important."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I have just finished reading the third book again. Something came across me. Harry was sayin to Dumbledore bout Pettigrew going back to Voldemort and harry thinking it was his fault. Dumbledore was then saying Harry would be happy he saved Pettigrews life but Harry doubted how! Because harry saved Pettigrew, there is now a bond between them(which we dont know what it is) and Pettigrew is Voldemorts servant. Dumbledore says Voldemort wouldnt want a servant in debt to Harry but Voldemort wouldnt know about this. Does anyone think there will be more about this in the 7th book or has something happened since that proves this wrong?

I doubt it would be anything substantial in book 7, but perhaps in the final showdown between Harry and Voldemort, Wormtail will do something to help Harry gain an advantage and defeat Voldemort, thus repaying his debt.

However, I'm still very much of the opinion Harry will die in book 7...

My friend told me Harry would commit suicide in book 7. All in the name of messin about, but i was laughin so much. Talk about an anti-climax

Tain't THAT far-fetched. After all, neither can live while the other survives and all that, and they are linked... Maybe the only way to kill Voldemort is by killing himself...

Of course, that'd be bloody dark for Harry Potter, but it ain't a kids' book any more. Not that I think it's likely, but possible, yeah.

As i said, it was all in the name of messing. We know whats happening and that one shall survive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

talking about horcruxes could it be possbile that harrys scar is one?, because voldermort knew that one of them had to kill the other, so voldermort put a horcruxes on harry so that he can always be alive, if harry is alive, meaning that harry will need to kill himself to kill voldermort, it could also talk about how harry never died from the unforgivable curse? do we know if voldermort did the unforgivable curse on harry(i kinda forget if it was 100% mentioned) the green light could be voldermort just casting the horcruxes on harrys forehead. just one of my thoughts about the horcruxes and harry

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yeah, releasing it on a date with all the sevens would be a very good move. Plenty of time before Xmas and Halloween.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

there are a few things that I want answered. I think the 7th book will open with a detailed version of what happened in Godric's Hollow on that faithfull night. So far we are told the story is Voldemort comes in, James sees him and tells Lily to run with Harry while he holds Voldemort off, Voldemort kills him and goes after Harry, but Lily stands in the way and refuses to allow Voldemort to kill her son, so Voldemort kills her, and turns his wand on Harry, then using the same spell that he used on Harry's parents, it backfired and reduced Voldemort to less then alive leaving Harry with a scar and some of Voldemorts powers.

however at the end of Book 4, when Harry and Voldemort are linked together with that Priori Encantium(sp?) thing, when the reverse echoes come out of Voldmorts wand, James comes out before Lily when it should have been the other way around, given the reports of what happened. Was this merely a mistake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭alic

Marts wrote:
    at the end of Book 4, when Harry and Voldemort are linked together with that Priori Encantium(sp?) thing, when the reverse echoes come out of Voldmorts wand, James comes out before Lily when it should have been the other way around, given the reports of what happened. Was this merely a mistake?

as i have read i think this was diffenerent in the versions of books i could not be sure but there is a big rumors going around that that was not james he killed but later in voldys life

there is a brilliant website you can check out if ya want

http://harrypotterrumors.net/scgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl

alic that site is cool. All this horcrux business is too confusing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

this theory has more than likely been summised before, but as far as I can see all evidence points towards Harry being Griffindor's heir. his parents house is named after Godric Griffindor, he pulled Griffindor's sword out of the sorting hat, Harry was chosen, for no disclosed reason so-far, as Voldemorts true rival etc... I could see the whole story being Griffindor and Slythern having one last fight, your classic good vs. evil

Yeah, I'd say that's pretty plausible alright...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭alic

did anyone register on the website
    Mushy wrote:
    alic that site is cool. All this horcrux business is too confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

I personally reckon that Snape is RAB and turns out to be good. We'll find out what happened that made dumbeldore trust him, cause it's a Q that has been asked a few times in the series, especially in book 6.

There's been a lot of discussion over whether Harry is a Horcrux or not. He almost certainly isn't.
    Voldemort wouldn't have made him into a Horcrux so that Harry would have to kill himself to kill Voldemort, because he didn't hear the part of the prophecy that said "Neither can live while the other survives." All Voldy knows is that Harry is a threat. So he tried to kill him.
    As for the priori incantatem bit, JK has said that it was a screw-up, and it was apparently corrected in later editions (so Lily came out first).

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ok I'm completely lost but....I think that Harry will die killing Voldemort (Voldemort will die too) and Ron and Hermiorny(I can't spell 4 **** + I'm blonde) will grive him whatever...get together and malcoy will be killed by his father because he doesn't want to become one of 'them'. Its complete bull**** but its fun to guess...I guess

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

Damn it! I had just about gotten over my Harry Potter addiction, and then I had to go and spoil everything by reading this thread. Looks like I'm off to read the entire series again.

Advertisement