Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's in store for Book 7

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

odhran wrote:
    Damn it! I had just about gotten over my Harry Potter addiction, and then I had to go and spoil everything by reading this thread. Looks like I'm off to read the entire series again.

How can you read something if you know the ending?? I for one can never do it......thats probable why I don't know half the things that people are talking about in the HP threads!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Knoodles! wrote:
    How can you read something if you know the ending??

Same way you can listen to a song more than once, I would say.

I find it virtually impossible not to read a good book twice. Great books I read twice back-to-back. There's just so much more to see, to feel, to experience.

I only started reading the Potter books at the third. Read all three, then read them again. When 4 came out, I started at book one, and read through, then read 4 a second time.

Same pattern for 5 and 6. I expect to do the same for 7.

As for what will happen in book 7...I'm not too killed thinking about it. I think it would be a bit weak if all loose ends were nicely tied up, and every "significant thing" that people spot turns out to be truly significant...so I'm not too pushed about figuring out what they all might and might not mean.

I also hope we don't find out some things. I'd like to have something left to think about after its all over.

jc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

bonkey wrote:
    I find it virtually impossible not to read a good book twice. Great books I read twice back-to-back. There's just so much more to see, to feel, to experience.

I only started reading the Potter books at the third. Read all three, then read them again. When 4 came out, I started at book one, and read through, then read 4 a second time.

Same pattern for 5 and 6. I expect to do the same for 7.

Me too. As soon as I finished the 6th book, I reread it. By now I think I've read it at least 4 times and it's about time to read them all again.

Every book I own, I've read more than once, I'd say. Some books I just read over and over again and never get sick of them, HP being examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

I've lost count of how many times I've reread the first three books. I've read the fourth book about ten times, the fifth about eseven times and the sixth maybe three or four times. I also reread His Dark Materials quite regularly, although not as often.

Huh? The only books that I have re-read are the Doomspell trilogy ages ago!! But I am cursed with only being able to read very very slowly..which sucks because if the book is really long I get bored:(

• Advertisement

I'm a pretty fast reader, so re-reading isn't really a problem in that regard. I often find that by reading a book again you picked up on things you missed. For example, re-reading the Harry Potter series allows you to pick up little pieces of information that you can identify as important due to your knowledge of what's going to happen, and then piece them together to theorise about what's going to happen!

Ok that seems like a good reason for me to go try and re-read the books......
    *goes to find book 1*
    *gets bored*
    *drinks some coffee*
    *continues reading*

...Or you could just cheat, and use one of the myriad of Harry Potter rumour sites that are out there- it's really much easier.

odhran wrote:
    I'm a pretty fast reader, so re-reading isn't really a problem in that regard. I often find that by reading a book again you picked up on things you missed. For example, re-reading the Harry Potter series allows you to pick up little pieces of information that you can identify as important due to your knowledge of what's going to happen, and then piece them together to theorise about what's going to happen!

Yeah, on my last reading on book 6, I picked up on loads of stuff that I'd missed before. Coupled with talking to others and looking it up on the internet, I imagine I've gleaned a lot more info than the average joe who just reads the books once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

odhran wrote:

Ok when you've done that you should deffinately post your ideas up here so the rest of us can read that instead of the book...I mean discuss what has been posted:):)

• Advertisement

Imagine working in Bloomsbury and getting to proof-read Book 7 before it's even released... *drool*!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

re-reading the Harry Potter series allows you to pick up little pieces of information that you can identify as important due to your knowledge of what's going to happen, and then piece them together to theorise about what's going to happen!

So you should read them backwards ie. 6th, 5 th....2nd, 1st?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Faith wrote:
    Imagine working in Bloomsbury and getting to proof-read Book 7 before it's even released... *drool*!

I can wait. Doesn't bother me. Plenty of other stuff to read out there.

I don't mind the wait either usually, but every now and then I think about it and get really excited.

I think being a HP fan really helped when it came to watching "Lost". I don't mind all the long waits between questions being answered!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Faith wrote:
    I don't mind the wait either usually, but every now and then I think about it and get really excited.

I think being a HP fan really helped when it came to watching "Lost". I don't mind all the long waits between questions being answered!

LOL yes I understand that completely! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

Damn now I'm all excited about LOST....sawyer *drool*.......any further talk about LOST should really be in the LOSt forum....meh!

Advertisement