Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL digital. Pipe through surround sounds

• 28-03-2006 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Lads
    I have an NTL decoder at home. I think its a PACEmodel. Its not the nice slim one, but the one before that chunky. There is one Scart out of this, and this is split into 2 scart leads. one for TV and one for the Video. CAn I in some way pipe my decoder through the Surround sound system i have?. It should be easy in theory. When i switch the Surround sound to TV, for some reason its picking up the normal RTE1 and RTE2 via the TV Aerial.

Any thoughts?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

The Pace model I have has 2 audio outputs - its the slim one

1 is optical (Toslink) the other is RCA ( White and Red connectors)

Take one of the above and connect to surround sound system @ audio input.
    Mute tv and you should have it sorted.

Have a look at the back of the ntl box and look at each connection.

Post back if it works

Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

quazzy wrote:
    The Pace model I have has 2 audio outputs - its the slim one

1 is optical (Toslink) the other is RCA ( White and Red connectors)

Take one of the above and connect to surround sound system @ audio input.
    Mute tv and you should have it sorted.

Have a look at the back of the ntl box and look at each connection.

Post back if it works

Q

I seem to have only one output on mine, but ill check it again when i go home...I wonder if I feed the split scart, which is for video into my AUX in the home stereo would that work. It was a bit awkward to try it last ngiht as i need to get some wires out of the way..long story !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Does NTL Digital do surround sound? They usen't anyway. Stereo, yes, but surround sound (Dolby variants, or DTS or whatever) used not be provided even on the Sky Movies channels. Granted, it's at least a year ago since I checked.

cgarvey wrote:
    Does NTL Digital do surround sound? They usen't anyway. Stereo, yes, but surround sound (Dolby variants, or DTS or whatever) used not be provided even on the Sky Movies channels. Granted, it's at least a year ago since I checked.

Does skydigital? do it. I assumed they did when its digital signal...maybe they dont..

I have my ntl connected via optical and I get surround sound. The Simpsons is a good tester.

Im pretty sure the PACE box supports DTS but I would have to check tonite

• Advertisement

quazzy wrote:
    I have my ntl connected via optical and I get surround sound. The Simpsons is a good tester.

Im pretty sure the PACE box supports DTS but I would have to check tonite

I wonder is your PACE box the new slim line one?

tred wrote:
    I wonder is your PACE box the new slim line one?
    Yep, I only got it a couple of weeks ago.

quazzy wrote:
    Yep, I only got it a couple of weeks ago.

I looked at back of mine last night, and there is only one scart output, plus what looks like a phone line connection. nothing else. does that mean id neeed to change the NTL box to be able to connect them up.

tred wrote:
    I looked at back of mine last night, and there is only one scart output, plus what looks like a phone line connection. nothing else. does that mean id neeed to change the NTL box to be able to connect them up.

mmmmm.....

Perhaps you can ring ntl and ask for the new box.
    I think it cost 50 euro to upgrade.

Its ur call

Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Stereo(with Dolby Pro Logic II encoding of course) is carried over the optical on that box. So no Dolby Digital 5.1 outputted on the optical. Only Sky+ boxes output actual real DD 5.1.

The OP's options are to get one of the smaller pace boxes

or

If the TV has red and white stereo phono outputs he could connect them to his amp.

or

If he has a scart switch box that has stereo outputs he could connect those to the amp

or

Get a scart to scart cable that also has seperate red and white stereo phono leads coming out of it. Problem here is that because those boxes don't have a seperate TV and VCR scart outputs, NTL had to supply a custom cable where one scart plgs straight away into two scarts on the other end (the TV RGB capable one going to the TV and the VCR Composite only end going to the VCR. Thing is that the chances of getting this type of custom cable from normal retailerswith the extra phono stereo outputs is very slim. I'll try and remember to have a look online for you tonight. If thats a nogo then you would have to find someone who could customise your existing cable with the extra phono stereo leads.

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote:
    Stereo(with Dolby Pro Logic II encoding of course) is carried over the optical on that box. So no Dolby Digital 5.1 outputted on the optical. Only Sky+ boxes output actual real DD 5.1.

The OP's options are to get one of the smaller pace boxes

or

If the TV has red and white stereo phono outputs he could connect them to his amp.

or

If he has a scart switch box that has stereo outputs he could connect those to the amp

or

Get a scart to scart cable that also has seperate red and white stereo phono leads coming out of it. Problem here is that because those boxes don't have a seperate TV and VCR scart outputs, NTL had to supply a custom cable where one scart plgs straight away into two scarts on the other end (the TV RGB capable one going to the TV and the VCR Composite only end going to the VCR. Thing is that the chances of getting this type of custom cable from normal retailerswith the extra phono stereo outputs is very slim. I'll try and remember to have a look online for you tonight. If thats a nogo then you would have to find someone who could customise your existing cable with the extra phono stereo leads.

i am almost tempted to go the skyplus route. i need to price it first though...
    Having some trouble wiht NTL anyway. occasional freezing of pics and fuzzy now and then..

Advertisement