Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one else havin disconnecting trouble..??

• 28-03-2006 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭

my internet keeps disconnecting every 5 - 10 mins for like 20 seconds and then reconnects..my isp is UTV by the way..and im just wondering what is going on and if anyone else is having the same problems..?? what could be causing this??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

is your router set to a 'nailed up' (always on) connection or 'connect on demand' ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

iggyman wrote:
    my internet keeps disconnecting every 5 - 10 mins for like 20 seconds and then reconnects..my isp is UTV by the way..and im just wondering what is going on and if anyone else is having the same problems..?? what could be causing this??

It could be that your line is not capable of dealing with the recently increased speeds - what speed are you signed up for? Some likes can cope with lower speeds but deal very badly with increased speeds and one of the symptoms of this is disconnections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭iggyman

i have the utv 2mb now after been upgraded from 1mb..and shabbyroad im not sure what you mean about those settings but i just turn the router on and its always connected to the internet..until i turn it off so id say "nailed up"...??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

On my prestige 660 router I can have a "nailed up" (their description of the function) or a "on demand" connection. So the router, if nailed up, maintains the DSL connection. If "on demand" it will connect to my DSL service if something requests access to the internet.

I'm using Live Con (freeware) to keep a log (basically pings) and it is indicating that I'm getting disconnects. I've suspected a problem with my line. It could either be that my line cannot cope with 3MB or there is a problem on my side (perhaps too many phone devices on my line). It might be worth trying out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm not getting it that regularly, but I am getting more than usual - between 2 and 8 reconnects a day - since the upgrade. Relatively new apartment block so new lines, not that far from the exchange (Hettyfield). TBH it looks like an overeager DHCP server, but that's just appearances.

Filing a complaint with the shower of w*nkers now. Sorry, I mean "BT".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

iggyman wrote:
    i have the utv 2mb now after been upgraded from 1mb..and shabbyroad im not sure what you mean about those settings but i just turn the router on and its always connected to the internet..until i turn it off so id say "nailed up"...??

Its not quite as simple as just being connected - some routers or modems will give you stastics about your actual line quality - have a read here for more information - http://www.adslguide.org.uk/qanda.asp?faq=technical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭iggyman

k thanks guys ..im gonna check out that free ware thingy ..and read that file yoke as well..the disconnects stopped today but my ping today while playin an online game spikes up to 600 + every minute or so..this has been the case for the last 2-3 weeks now..

EDIT: i installed that live con thing and put my ip in as the echo host thing..is that all i do?? ill just leave it for a day or 2 and see whats goin on

Advertisement