Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Friend locked out of Win XP Pro - Help!

• 28-03-2006 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭

OK, this is a very stupid situation but ill explain.

I installed Win XP pro for a friend last night and left the rest to him. Now what he did was...

While logged in as admin, he created a limited user account for himself, then disabled the admin account. So now he is stuck with his own limited user account, and cannot change anything as he is not logged in as admin, and he disabled the admin account.

What does he do here? The log-on mode is set to the "welcome screen mode" if that makes any difference

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

JohnCleary wrote:
    OK, this is a very stupid situation but ill explain.

I installed Win XP pro for a friend last night and left the rest to him. Now what he did was...

While logged in as admin, he created a limited user account for himself, then disabled the admin account. So now he is stuck with his own limited user account, and cannot change anything as he is not logged in as admin, and he disabled the admin account.

What does he do here? The log-on mode is set to the "welcome screen mode" if that makes any difference

Restart into Safe Mode!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Restart into Safe Mode!?

How exactly will that help?

I think Safe Mode still lets you access the Administrator account even if its disabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,751 ✭✭✭✭kippy

That password reset disk linked to in the first reply will allow you ro reset the admin password to a blank one.
    Now-something sounds a bit suspect about the situation.
    I am pretty sure that you cannot disable the admin account on XP-if there is only one admin account on the machine- so I would clarify exactly what your friend did.

The safe mode wont help in this situation.
    Kippy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I was skeptical, but it is actually possible to disable the local admin account in Win XP.

His easiest option is to use the password reset disk. Failing that, stick the HDD in another machine, back up the data and reinstall.

Hmmmm.....

Personally, I'd hand your friend the XP discs and tell him it's a "learning exercise".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Karsini wrote:
    I think Safe Mode still lets you access the Administrator account even if its disabled.

Apparently not!?

I do know it's always enabled in Windows Server :)

I wouldn't be so skeptical as to the motives behind this question as you all seem to be, if the box was rooted then a bootdisk wont help the hacker - nor would a restart in safe mode :D

Who's skeptical? huh? me? never! lies and mistruths and propoganda! a pox on you!

Karoma wrote:
    Hmmmm.....

Personally, I'd hand your friend the XP discs and tell him it's a "learning exercise".

Thats exactly what I did :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭tadgh

Hitting 'CTRL-ALT-DEL' twice should bring you back to the Login screen where you should now be able to login as the administrator (assuming that it can't be disabled)

tadgh wrote:
    Hitting 'CTRL-ALT-DEL' twice should bring you back to the Login screen where you should now be able to login as the administrator (assuming that it can't be disabled)

even after resetting the password to a blank, and enabling the account, that wont work... Meh I think he just formatted the drive as he had nothing on it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

seamus wrote:
    I was skeptical, but it is actually possible to disable the local admin account in Win XP.

His easiest option is to use the password reset disk. Failing that, stick the HDD in another machine, back up the data and reinstall.
    You could always just reinstall in another folder. You will be able to take ownership and stuff.

If you had a backup, it might be possible to restore the earlier system state.

Out of curiousity on earlier version of windows you could restore just the SAM to an earlier version , can you do that on XP ? Would deleting it kill windows or allow you in ?

Defo try logging in as administrator in safe mode

You could always just reinstall in another folder. You will be able to take ownership and stuff.

If you had a backup, it might be possible to restore the earlier system state.

Out of curiousity on earlier version of windows you could restore just the SAM to an earlier version , can you do that on XP ? Would deleting it kill windows or allow you in ?

Defo try logging in as administrator in safe mode
    I seem to remember deleting it would let me in but I also remember trying it once later on and it killed Windows. Maybe SP2 stopped it or something? :confused:

There is a backup copy of the SAM in C:\WINDOWS\repair. If you copy it over the one in C:\WINDOWS\system32\config it should reset the Administrator account to what it was when Windows was installed. But of course, that's only useful if you remember the password (or lack of one) you used when installling XP.

Advertisement