Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bi-Xenon Headlights

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I wouldn't bother Mik. Save your money for tax, insurance, and fuel.

My ST is built and on a boat to Cork apparently :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Sorry, just to clarify my statement about Xenons, the reason there's no law governing them, is that all Xenon lamps have an auto leveling design, there's a little servo built in that sets them up correctly for the load the vehicle is carrying, hence they auto adjust.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

ned78 wrote:
    There's a big difference ordering from stock, and getting something built to spec. If you ordered a C4 last week and are getting it Monday, then it's just sitting in a compound somewhere in the country.

Your brother only being given the choice of Silver? BS from the Dealer. If a car takes 4 months to order, it should be spec changeable for the first 2.

Our lead time on what we sell is anything from 6 weeks to 4 months, depending on the spec, and model of the car.
    He ordered a standard spec Avensis, no options added. The first available car was the 20th of April and it's colour is silver. If he wanted another colour it would be the end of May at least before he got it.
    I know the C4 is sitting in a compound but I would have thought it would be the same for all marques if a standard model was ordered.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ya, that is what I picked up, if you have Xenon light fitted in the factory then they will not have leveller buttons in the car.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

ned78 wrote:
    Contact Ger O' Leary of O' Leary's Garage in Ballincollig Cork for Retrofitting Xenons. They do Xenon, and Bi Xenon retrofits for any car, MTH performance parts, general servicing etc.

He's a good mate of mine in the Motor Trade, and will always bang out a good deal. On the cars I sell, Xenons run anything from € 750 right up to € 1500 for adaptive Bi Xenons. So €1,000 ain't too bad :)

Ger's Number is (086) - 8663828

Owen.

I gave him a bell and he is getting the Bi-Xenon sets in 2 weeks
    He said I'd be looking at around €650 for a set :D

He is fitting some on his own car when he gets them and I'll prob have a look before i decide.

But I doubt very much if they come with washers/levellers
    (he didn't mention it anyway, and I forgot to ask:o )

Must ring him back to check

Mik

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

mik_da_man wrote:
    I gave him a bell and he is getting the Bi-Xenon sets in 2 weeks
    He said I'd be looking at around €650 for a set :D

He is fitting some on his own car when he gets them and I'll prob have a look before i decide.

But I doubt very much if they come with washers/levellers
    (he didn't mention it anyway, and I forgot to ask:o )

Must ring him back to check

Mik

does gers kit fit a 05 vw golf.is it like what you pay to vw when you pay for xenon lights.eg the whole light changed.do you have any links as i will be interested in getting this done.and is there anyone in dublin that does this or do i have to go to cork to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I emailed the sales people at www.hids4u.co.uk concerning the levellers and washers issue and this was the reply I got.
    The EU directive as we understand it is only for new cars. There are no UK requirements for such devices on aftermarket kits, nor any UK law for any car to have washers and levellers with xenons even as new. UK MOT does not require them.

Our kits pass the MOT as the beam patterns are perfect and there is no glare.

Seems like a strange setup to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

kaizersoze wrote:
    He ordered a standard spec Avensis, no options added. The first available car was the 20th of April and it's colour is silver. If he wanted another colour it would be the end of May .

That's a load of rubbish, we have loads of them ex stock, and there's no shortage

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mik_da_man wrote:
    Hi Guys/Gals,

Just after ordering a new focus and am thinking of getting the Bi-Xenon lights on it.

They cost €1000

Just want to see people's opinion on them, are they worth it:confused:
    For functional and looks point of view;)

Cheers

Mik

I've driven one or two cars with xenons and, in my opinion, the difference is huge. With regard to the looks angle, I'm confused. Do you mean in the sense that other road users would think "nice lights on that Focus.."? Or am I missing something really obvious?

Anan1 wrote:
    other road users would think "nice lights on that Focus.."?

Spot on!

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote:
    other road users would think "nice lights on that Focus.."?

Spot on!:cool:

drdre wrote:
    does gers kit fit a 05 vw golf.is it like what you pay to vw when you pay for xenon lights.eg the whole light changed.do you have any links as i will be interested in getting this done.and is there anyone in dublin that does this or do i have to go to cork to get it done.

Not sure what car's Ger will do, prob best give him a buzz.

You get the whole light not just a kit.
    And he told me that he has a special contract to do them in Ireland
    kinda led me to believe that he is the only one around
    but I am open to correction on this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

colm_mcm wrote:
    That's a load of rubbish, we have loads of them ex stock, and there's no shortage
    Thanks for that. I'll let him know.
    Do you work in the distributors or a dealer? Sorry to be nosey.:)

I did some homework a while ago regarding retrofitting HID lights to my 94 C280. I can't remember the exact details, but I do remember getting the impression that HID upgrade kits which utilised the existing reflectors resulted in a poor light spread, and dazzle for other road users. From recollection, the way to go was to replace the entire headlamp assemblies. Personally speaking, if I were buying a new car with the intention of keeping it for a couple of years I'd just pay the E1,000 and get factory fitment.

Well,

I just was chatting to the guy selling me my Focus and he recommended the Adaptive lights (Corner with you)
    They come with HID Bulbs

They Cost €550 V's €1000 for the Bi-Xenon

Anyone have the Adaptive on their car?
    And any thoughts?

Cheers for all the comments

Mik

mik_da_man wrote:
    Well,

I just was chatting to the guy selling me my Focus and he recommended the Adaptive lights (Corner with you)
    They come with HID Bulbs

They Cost €550 V's €1000 for the Bi-Xenon

Anyone have the Adaptive on their car?
    And any thoughts?

Cheers for all the comments

Mik

Are the adaptive lights factory fit? Usually adaptive HID would be more expensive than normal HID? Or are the adaptive ones not bi-xenon?

They are Adaptive HID for €550
    and Bi-Xenon (non Adaptive) for €1000

Both are Factory fit

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

C_Breeze wrote:
    more than likley he has a pair of HID nalogen bulbs that give the xenon look .
    ie. Philips blue vision or philips GT150

Where can you get these? Are they expensive? Are they just a gimmick for boy racers in starlets or would they be worth buying?

mik_da_man wrote:
    They are Adaptive HID for €550
    and Bi-Xenon (non Adaptive) for €1000

Both are Factory fit

AFAIK (and this is not gospel) Bi-xenon are HID on both main beam & dips, whereas normal HID are only HID on dips. I suppose the question you have to ask yourself is what proportion of your driving is done on main beam?

faigs wrote:
    Where can you get these? Are they expensive? Are they just a gimmick for boy racers in starlets or would they be worth buying?

Here

Linky

Mik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Go for the adaptive. I was going to ask if the Bi-Xenon were adptive when i started reading the post. Adaptive one's used on the car in the ad with the sony stereo and all the bits before they tell you the car is available from €19,995

The adaptive seem good all right.

But I've never been a car which had the adaptive lights
    do they work well?

Are they worth it?

Decisions, decisions, decisions...........

Ne one with adaptive lights out there?

Any more thoughts on this??

Advertisement