Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Applying for a french driving licence (50cc)

Options
  • 28-03-2006 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

i am 14, i have, in my possesion a 50cc moped, i want to drive it in france
    so.....

1) do i have to get a licence (i have found very contradictory info on this)
    2)if so do i have to do the test in english

that is all

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

D.J.Toonz wrote:
    i am 14, i have, in my possesion a 50cc moped, i want to drive it in france
    so.....

1) do i have to get a licence (i have found very contradictory info on this)
    2)if so do i have to do the test in english

that is all

thanks

I thought you needed to be over 17 to drive anything on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 D.J.Toonz

Jumpy wrote:
    I thought you needed to be over 17 to drive anything on the road.
    ahem...
    FRANCE

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hang on a moment. Where do you live? If it's France, then why ask here? If it's Ireland then I don't understand the question ... are you going to drive your little moped all the way to France? And if so, what makes you think that as an Irish citizen you can take a French driving test?

Alun wrote:
    Hang on a moment. Where do you live? If it's France, then why ask here? If it's Ireland then I don't understand the question ... are you going to drive your little moped all the way to France? And if so, what makes you think that as an Irish citizen you can take a French driving test?
    hmm, methinks it was a mistake to say im 14 as you assume im an idiot
    i LIVE in ireland i will be GOING to france, my parents OWN a house in france so i spend a lot of time in france.
    i will be getting a FERRY to france (thats a big boat)
    and i CAN take a french driving test
    so if you have no useful information and you just came here to patronise well....
    you can just **** OFF

D.J.Toonz wrote:
    i LIVE in ireland i will be GOING to france, my parents OWN a house in france so i spend a lot of time in france.
    so if you have no useful information and you just came here to patronise well....
    you can just **** OFF

Actually I never assumed it until this post.
    Noone has insulted you in any way here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Is it under 50cc or actually 50cc. I think it makes a difference over here. If its under you can drive with no tax insurance etc but you must wear a skid lid. I am open to correction, but am reasonably sure.

/edit calm down we are not all in Ireland or France, make allowances.

Hagar wrote:
    Is it under 50cc or actually 50cc. I think it makes a difference over here. If its under you can drive with no tax insurance etc but you must wear a skid lid. I am open to correction, but am reasonably sure.

/edit calm down we are not all in Ireland or France, make allowances.
    its 50cc

RE: jumpy. my apoligies, i was a little attacking there

D.J.Toonz wrote:
    its 50cc

RE: jumpy. my apoligies, i was a little attacking there

Accepted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

D.J.Toonz wrote:
    Well, if you'd provided us with that information IN THE FIRST PLACE and hadn't expected us to mind read, we wouldn't have needed to ask, would we now?
    I think you'll find that you can't actually, not being resident in France. But then as others have pointed out, you might not need to.
    so if you have no useful information and you just came here to patronise well.... you can just **** OFF
    Comments like that can get you banned round here :) Where's a mod when you need them?

Alun wrote:
    Well, if you'd provided us with that information IN THE FIRST PLACE and hadn't expected us to mind read, we wouldn't have needed to ask, would we now?

I think you'll find that you can't actually, not being resident in France. But then as others have pointed out, you might not need to.

Comments like that can get you banned round here :) Where's a mod when you need them?

just to recap on what you said
    -i cant drive there but i can
    -the fact that im taking a ferry helps with the clatity of the situation

• Advertisement

This is fairly difinitive from the AngloInfo web site...

Mopeds

A moped or scooter of up to 50cc must have certain certificates displayed:
    • If the driver is between 14 and 16 years of age, they must show the patent of road safety, brevet de sécurité routière.
    • A certificate of insurance stating: the insurance company, the identification number of the insurance holder, the engine number of the vehicle.
    • The proof of insurance certificate
    NOTE: From June 2004 50cc mopeds and bikes must be registered

Hagar wrote:
    This is fairly difinitive from the AngloInfo web site...

Re this brevet de sécurité routière.
    what is it and can i do it in english

thanks

EDIT: its a theory exam taken after 3 hours of study

theres also a written exam though taken in "le cinqueime year of college" or the fifth year of secondary
    i wonder if i could do this without having to go through 5 years of french education

The naming of the French secondary school years is not what you expect. You enter at sixieme and leave at premier so cinquieme is equivalent to 2nd yr in Ireland ie about 13 maybe 14.

Hagar wrote:
    The naming of the French secondary school years is not what you expect. You enter at sixieme and leave at premier so cinquieme is equivalent to 2nd yr in Ireland ie about 13 maybe 14.
    do ya reckon i could do it OUTSIDE of school?
    iv already done most of second year and i dont want to do it again?

one more query
    supposing i get a licence, insurance and eanything else needed COULD i drive in ireland
    my reasoning for this is:
    1)i would have a full french (EU) licence
    2)i can drive abroad if i have a full EU icence
    3)my french insurance would cover me back here

your help is very much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Comments like that can get you banned round here Where's a mod when you need them?

Watching CL footie ahem! Still, no harm done in the end.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

D.J.Toonz wrote:
    one more query
    supposing i get a licence, insurance and eanything else needed COULD i drive in ireland
    No. The EU driving licence directive was quite clear on this. You must be as old as the minimum age in the country you wish to drive in.

Edit, a moped (in Ireland category M-no idea what it would be in France) is NOT a harmonised EU driving licence category so it is irrelevant. For example, I hold category W (tractors and work vehicles up to and including tracked vehicles) here in Ireland but I cannot legally drive say a caterpillar anywhere else in the EU as only categories A, B, C and D (and subcategories thereof) are harmonised across the entire EU.

Advertisement