Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oral - get any "sticky" questions?

Options
  • 28-03-2006 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Did anybody get any stick questions in their oral? I have mine on Friday evening (then German on Monday).
    So far (in Irish) I've heard about somebody being asked about the meaning of the school crest, the meaning of a wrist band (one of those pink "ooh look I donate to charity like all the celebs" things), and why did they get their tounge pierced - was it painful, etc...
    And this is only ordinery level! What are they going to ask the honours crowd? :S
    Ah well, I suppose I'll be grand. Any "post mortems" so far?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

cianclarke wrote:
    Did anybody get any stick questions in their oral? I have mine on Friday evening (then German on Monday).
    So far (in Irish) I've heard about somebody being asked about the meaning of the school crest, the meaning of a wrist band (one of those pink "ooh look I donate to charity like all the celebs" things), and why did they get their tounge pierced - was it painful, etc...
    And this is only ordinery level! What are they going to ask the honours crowd? :S
    Ah well, I suppose I'll be grand. Any "post mortems" so far?

levels don't matter, its the same exam

many schools send in all students alphabetically irregardless of level

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

I'm doing higher irish and got no complicated questions. The thing to do is when they give you an easy question, ie where you live, say as much as you can and then lead it into something else easy, ie caitheamh aimsire. We had a great examiner, she let you say as much as you want and asked nothing complicated. I think I did really well, compared to my crappy mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Apparently ours is cutting in when she hears a long speil which we could have learnt off, ie caitheamh aimsire. Still, should be grand.

(Our school has us all listed by class (thus level), then alphabetical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

our schools alphabetical regardless of level..
    from what ive heard, the examiner for irish in my school is asking realy broad questions but doesnt let you venture into abstract topics that you have obviously prepared and learnt off..
    no particularly tricky questions that i can think of though, someone got asked about the peace process and irelands relationship with america/ bush etc but she had mentioned she'd like to do politics in college so...

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

the hardest asked in our school was the rules of rugby and another guy brought up bird flu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I got disadvantages of mobile phones, what do I think of the Leaving Cert <pressure etc> and why is Irish as a language not as important anymore. Wasn't too bad, I kind of had most topics prepared already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i dont do french as i hate french people an everything about them, but i heard the examier was a real em... bad examier.

one a d lads got asked where his name came from and what's the difference between soccer and gaelic and coronation street and eastenders!

glad i don't do french. irish should be handy, it's bluffable, just chuck in a few phrases to dazzle the examiner and you'll do well.

it's like ice skating, dont do anthing stupid or try to be too fancy, just keep skating around without stopping and then just when you feel your petering out, chuck in a few triple axels to shock the examiner and leave him shouting 'encore..... encore'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

smemon wrote:
    i dont do french as i hate french people an everything about them, but i heard the examier was a real em... bad examier.

that's just plain ignorance! If i wasn't such a nice person, i'd attack you with some french words that i've aquired over the years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

smemon, tu est une putain. Tu avais sex pour l'argent. Et tu as le sida.

Raphael wrote:

you see, i dont even know what your saying but i hate you anyway cuz your speaking french outside of school when it's no forced upon you:D

'i am a breadloaf, i have sex with my money and im sad', thats my translation of what youve just said.

anyway, as for the triple axel, i'd say something like this:

"i mo bharúil tá an tionscal ag claochlú go seasta; taca an am seo cúig bhlian ó shin, d'fhéadfá a rá go raibh an tionscal ag fulaingt, ach na laethanta seo, tá an roth casta deisil".

you see, im not just a pretty face people. thats some serious stuff :eek: i say that in my oral, and i'll get an a1 for that alone.

• Advertisement

smemon wrote:
    "i mo bharúil tá an tionscal ag claochlú go seasta; taca an am seo cúig bhlian ó shin, d'fhéadfá a rá go raibh an tionscal ag fulaingt, ach na laethanta seo, tá an roth casta deisil".

?? translation??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I'm speaking french outside of school because I have to do an oral. ANd because one of the reasons I do a language is so I can have a basic ability to speak it. That and matric requirements for UCD.

Garret wrote:
    ?? translation??

in my opinion, the industry is metamorphasising constantly; this time 5 years ago, you could say it was suffering but nowadays, the wheel has turned.

stunning irish, compiled by myself. (c) (edited b'cuz aoibheann was laughing at me)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

my yourself? :D sorry, it amused me.

Y'know, the more complicated you put something, the less likely you are to remember it on the day. You could say that much more simply and still impress the examiner. And you wouldn't forget it and get tongue tied.

I said everything quite simply and concisely in the mock, and it got me an A, so I'll stick with that. Have fun learning all that stuff, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes..

my yourself? :D sorry, it amused me.

Y'know, the more complicated you put something, the less likely you are to remember it on the day. You could say that much more simply and still impress the examiner. And you wouldn't forget it and get tongue tied.

I said everything quite simply and concisely in the mock, and it got me an A, so I'll stick with that. Have fun learning all that stuff, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes..

it's all done my friend. all learned, i wrote that from my head. thats a1 standard. simple stuff won't get you an a1, not when the likes of me are in before you! :D

Chances are, we won't have the same examiner. :p
    I just use stuff we've learned from essays through the 2 years, social problems, poverty, racism, sports/drugs in sports, education system. I have such a good teacher that I've been learning it the whole way through without realising, and I can use bits and pieces from everything. It's making it up in a way, but it sounds good, the examiner liked it. That's quite awkward for just one sentence, it'll sound much better if you separate it, but that's simple anyway, so never mind that!

But sure anyway, we'll see how we both get on, I'm sure we'll both do grand. Btw, one sentence does not make an A1.. you need to be consistently good. But of course you're good at everything, aren't you? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Raphael wrote:

I actually understood that.

My school goes by level but the examiner doesn't what level we're doing. I spent ages learning what I'd do if I won the lottery or was the principal and didn't end up getting anything complicated. It depends on the examiner. My examiner asked everyone about their pets even if the conversation wasn't remotely in that area.

I just use stuff we've learned from essays through the 2 years, social problems, poverty, racism, sports/drugs in sports, education system. I have such a good teacher that I've been learning it the whole way through without realising, and I can use bits and pieces from everything. It's making it up in a way, but it sounds good, the examiner liked it. That's quite awkward for just one sentence, it'll sound much better if you separate it, but that's simple anyway, so never mind that!

But sure anyway, we'll see how we both get on, I'm sure we'll both do grand. Btw, one sentence does not make an A1.. you need to be consistently good. But of course you're good at everything, aren't you? ;)

christ i havent even learned about my family yet, never mind abstract ****

still got a whole weekend in front of me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

smemon wrote:
    you see, i dont even know what your saying but i hate you anyway cuz your speaking french outside of school when it's no forced upon you:D

why do you hate people who speak french so much??

If you've done essays on the abstract topics, chances are you can talk about them. :) Seriously, it's annoying having essays drilled into you at the time, but it's so worth it!

• Advertisement

well ive been well informed that you cant keep it simple in irish to get an a1, unlike french. you have to have the lingo.

it's 1 sentence like that which seperates me from you :D i get the a1, you get the a2. provided of course i don't mess up with the simple stuff. but that sentence above is like scoring 2 goals in a minute. only an idiot could throw away an 'A' after saying that sensational piece of art.

smemon.. to be honest you sound ridiculously arrogant..

Charisma is also an essential part of the oral

good luck with that

smemon wrote:
    well ive been well informed that you cant keep it simple in irish to get an a1, unlike french. you have to have the lingo.

it's 1 sentence like that which seperates me from you :D i get the a1, you get the a2. provided of course i don't mess up with the simple stuff. but that sentence above is like scoring 2 goals in a minute. only an idiot could throw away an 'A' after saying that sensational piece of art.

[arrogance]I dunno, my irish is pretty good. :p It's probably my best subject, and I've had brilliant teachers since I've been in school, I've been in the gaeltacht and all that jazz, and I actually love the language.[/arrogance] I think it'll be of benefit to me, and I don't think that sentence is that fantastic that it's a work of art. I've plenty of impressive sentences (like most others :p) that will counteract it. Consistency, like I keep saying, is key.

Darian Nutritious Jockey: <3!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

did mine today.. im doing pass. we had a woman she was lovely.. got asked the usual.. what u did last week what ul do next week.. parttime job.. where u live. about skool. rules.. what u do for lunch usually.. how u come to school. favourite programme. what u do to relax.. what u tink bout sports(importance). music etc.. social problems and do u tink the gardai av a hard job as a result.. college. and why u wan 2do what u said.. have u pets.. do u watch tg4. do u watch sport on tv.. ect..!!! i was delighted with mine

smemon.. to be honest you sound ridiculously arrogant..

i'm not arrogant, im just honest. theres a fine line between arrogance and honesty, thankfully i havn't crossed over the line to arrogant yet.

roll on next week, can't wait to get in there and hit those questions into touch. i love stalling, pretending i dont know an answer, deliberately buying time, then wham, i come out with a triple axel sentence like the one i posted earlier.
    I don't think that sentence is that fantastic that it's a work of art.

well i do. credit given where credits due.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

My irish went ok i guess. I stalled when I couldn't think of the word for scholarship, when I was trying to describe a movie (Alien) and when I was trying to explain what MSN is.

I was asked on my area, did i drink, then talking about intel and then to computers and then to school.

I'd say about half-marks for the lot. I'm not bothered though, it's pass Irish after all, I can easily fly through the written paper.

I am royally ****ed for french oral though. That's gonna ruin me.

smemon wrote:
    well i do. credit given where credits due.

Credit to yourself? :confused: Oh, ok..

Er, yeah, have fun with that..

Credit to yourself? :confused: Oh, ok..

yes, i recognise class when i see it, even if it is my own work :p if nobody else will praise me, i will! what examiner won't be in awe at that? not 1. it's a whow tactic, stun the examiner and leave them thinking - then they tend to forget more about what else your saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

what an unfortunately titled thread.

• Advertisement

smemon wrote:
    yes, i recognise class when i see it, even if it is my own work :p if nobody else will praise me, i will! what examiner won't be in awe at that? not 1. it's a whow tactic, stun the examiner and leave them thinking - then they tend to forget more about what else your saying.

O...kay then. You're an odd person. But yeah, either a complete troll or scarily arrogant. I don't know which is worse..

I wouldn't be in awe of that sentence. You do realise the examiner will quite possibly have tested people who are fluent/pretty close to fluent in irish? So yeah, the examiner isn't likely to be stunned.

Lord Oz: :D

Advertisement