Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless connection constantly dropping

• 28-03-2006 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all,
    I recenty got EsatBT broadband. As part of the package I also got a wireless router. The only problem is that I have been unable to get the wireless connectivity working for longer than a few mintes at a time (any where between 1 and 15 minutes) without the connection to the router dropping. When I try to access a web page I get an error page telling me that the connection has timed out because the server is taking too long to respond.

When I connect to the router using an Ethernet connection I can surf without any problems. I looked at some other posts and they suggested changing my channel (after installing NetStumbler) so I tried that but it did not help.

I am using a ZyXEL Prestige 660W Router. Mp laptop is an acer running Windows XP with Intel Pro/Wireless 2000BG.

Anyone experienced the same difficulties? or any pointers on how to resolve this would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    BB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I am using a ZyXEL Prestige 660W Router. Mp laptop is an acer running Windows XP with Intel Pro/Wireless 2000BG.

Anyone experienced the same difficulties?
    I suspect a few Yes replies coming soon...

When you installed NetStumbler, and ran it: did it detected any other networks?
    Does NetStumbler show a strong signal to your router? [How far away are you? Any obsctructions?]

Are you using WEP or WPA? (Please specify.)

For now: update drivers/firmware!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Beagle Boy

Karoma wrote:
    When you installed NetStumbler, and ran it: did it detected any other networks?

Yes it picks up 6 other Wireless networks around me. All were running on Channel 7 while mine was running on Channel 11. I switched mine to Channel 7 also to see if that would make any difference
    Karoma wrote:
    Does NetStumbler show a strong signal to your router? [How far away are you? Any obsctructions?]
    I am not too sure how to determine to signal strength to my router. NetStumbler does present a graph for the connection to my router with dBm verying between -55 and -48.

I am only 6/7 feet from the router - its out in the hall and I am in the sitting room and in most instances I have left the room door open.
    Karoma wrote:
    Are you using WEP or WPA? (Please specify.)
    Im using WPA.
    Karoma wrote:
    For now: update drivers/firmware!
    From looking up Wikipedia it seems Firmware is the embedded software in the router. Is it possible to upload new software onto a router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I'd use a different channel from the other networks. So put it back to channel 11.

Firmware can be upgraded on a router. Go to the manufactuers website and download the firmware for your router.

If you access the control page of the router there should be a screen allowing you to upgrade using the firmware file you downloaded. It will prob reset itself when complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

I have an issue with my toshiba (using centrion too) - the wireless connection starts at 54mbps and then slowly drops to 1mbps (where I seem to lose connection). I then have to disable and re-enable the wireless adapter in order to reconnect and continue surfing. you may be having a similar problem, updating the laptop bios seems to have kinda fixed it. Im using a 3com ap and wpa btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Is this always like that, or only when you unplug the powersupply to the laptop?

I got the exact same wireless kit from EsatBT last week, and have it all working well now. My Dell Latitude 505 has Intel PROSet Wireless, and it brings back a few other wifis too. Dell's / Intel PRO default setting for network adaptors was to reduce network performance to save power - and that meant, it will connect for a few minutes, and then slows down in minutes but never disconnects.

Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Network Adaptors -> Intel(R) PRO/Wireless blah Network Connection -> Properties -> Power Management -> Untick default checkbox, and set the slider to highest.

Of course, it could be something else, and in that case forget this post! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

i dont know if that reply is directed at me positron - but I usually have the ac plugged in - still its prob worth switching off any powersaving for the wireless nic and see how thing go - cheers for the idea :)

positron wrote:
    Is this always like that, or only when you unplug the powersupply to the laptop?

I got the exact same wireless kit from EsatBT last week, and have it all working well now. My Dell Latitude 505 has Intel PROSet Wireless, and it brings back a few other wifis too. Dell's / Intel PRO default setting for network adaptors was to reduce network performance to save power - and that meant, it will connect for a few minutes, and then slows down in minutes but never disconnects.

Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Network Adaptors -> Intel(R) PRO/Wireless blah Network Connection -> Properties -> Power Management -> Untick default checkbox, and set the slider to highest.

Its always like this irrespective of whether the power supply is plugged in or not. I will try your suggested changes.

cheers,
    BB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

A little graph showing the various channels and how their frequencies overlap.

Should help in deciding what channel to use in a crowded 2.4Ghz environment.

Distinct Wireless Channels

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your suggestions. So far Iv'e

- reverted to channel 11, neighbouring WiFi's are channel 7 so according to MunsterCycling's graph there shouldn't be any crossover
    - updated both the firmware and drivers
    - updated the power saving settings as suggested by positron

However the connection is still constantly being dropped.
    Plus this evening I had to restart my machine because I couldnt make a wireless connection because an IP address couldnt be allocated. Also a number of times this evening when I click on the little wireless network icon in the taskbar and try to view the list of wireless networks it is empty.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated. Im pretty feaked out with it now. I have the modem at least 3 weeks and I've yet to surf wirelessly for more than a few minutes :mad:

BB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Its possible that there is an AP or two on channel 11 that has its SSID broadcast disabled. For this reason, it will not appear on your "available wireless networks" list. For the purposes of troubleshooting id temporarily disable encryption.

Try channel 1, if that doesnt work...............

with netsumbler, Be sure to go for a walk around and note what networks appear, disappear and what channels they are on.

How is the signal strength in comparsion to the other AP's?

Try to get as direct a route as possible from AP to laptop, avoid having metal in the path like the plague. Also try to put the antenna in a position so that the waves cut the laptop at an angle, this can help reception too.

Also, do you have any cordless phones around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

I'm having the same problem but have a desktop pc and a mac mini. The connection is dropping on both of them. I'm using WEP encryption.
    I've also noticed that although the ethernet connection is faster it is nowhere near as fast as it should be. I'm on 2mb line. Funny thing is my upload speeds are perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Your client machine may be trying to associate with another wireless network during use.

To prevent this, log into your router (preferably over ethernet) and give your wireless network a unique name (aka ESSID / Domain ID). On the client machine(s), set the default wireless profile to connect only to a wireless network of that name.

positron wrote:

There might something in this. I just had a wireless connection when I got a warning that the battery power was low. When I plug in in my power supply my connection disappeared and I couldnt see any wireless networks. I started NetStumbler and it showed no wireless networks until I pluged the power supply out. Then as normal I saw 5/6 networks.
    Does anyone understand this behaviour? I made the change you suggested but my acer has some built in power management functionality so maybe that is having an impact....
    Cheers
    BB

Advertisement