Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Two cars, help me choose?

Options
  • 28-03-2006 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Looking for everyone's opinion.

Two Peugeot 206s
    Both: same colour, 3DR, FPSH, AC, 1 owner - same price

Differences:

1st: 2000, 85k kms, small dent near rear right wheel, tyres need changing in >10000kms, timing belt will need to be changed (@ 110k kms)

2nd: 2001, 125k kms, no dents, tyres good, timing belt changed

Plan on keeping the car for a year, won't do more than 10000 kms.

I'm attracted by the lower kilometrage on the 1st one, but the better state of the 2nd one is swaying me...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

get the one with the higher mileage, newer and needs less money to be spent on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

colm_mcm wrote:
    get the one with the higher mileage, newer and needs less money to be spent on it.

i would same the same as it would cost moads to get new tyres and dent repaired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oli_ro

does the car have the diesel hdi engine ?

how much are you paying if you don't mind me asking ?
    Could you not go for a car which has decent kilometrage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

I have to say initally I was swayed by the lower kms in the first one (40k is 3 years driving here) and the dent isn't very noticable. The interior is also better.

It's now on reflection that I'm considering the 2nd one ...surely an extra 40k will bring with it its own share of problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

they don't sound like two particularly nice cars, bet they're cheap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Go with the 2001 higher mileage car. Less cost as pointed out in earlier posts by but also newer meaning less depreciation (unless you lash up the kms)

oli_ro wrote:
    does the car have the diesel hdi engine ?

how much are you paying if you don't mind me asking ?
    Could you not go for a car which has decent kilometrage ?

1.4 petrol

the choice is limited (along with my time at the moment) They are the best of the bunch and not bad value here @ €4.5k. as i said earlier, i'll keep it for a year as a to b transport so not overly concerned about what will need to be done. cars here generally sell by condition, kms and then year (no number plate to tell)

colm_mcm wrote:
    they don't sound like two particularly nice cars, bet they're cheap!

lol, no not exactly pulse racing stuff are they. But at the end of the day, they're all I need for the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oli_ro

ohhhhh

you're on the continent !

you're right on the kilometrage ... people over there are not too concerned, with the good road infrastructure long comutes(and I don't mean Bray-Dublin commutes, I mean 200km each way) are normal, etc ...

To put that 125k in perspective, I have a friend who bought a 98 or 99 A6 TDI from Germany with 800k on the clock(the owner changed the engine once).
    The car was used as a taxi by a guy in Bavaria, and my friend used for a year or so, and sold it on ...

Funny, I mentioned this to a work colleagues and didn't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I would take car 2..........even though it is a 2001 with high mileage, it has the timingbelt changed and reasonably new tyres by the sound of things........

If you buy the first one you will have to pay for these 2 items, and as you stated you only need the car for the year.........so why pay for something when the other car has everything done..........

Plus there is no damage to the bodywork of car 2...........:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement