Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW transporter conversion

Options
  • 28-03-2006 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi

After having trouble with my VW Golf I've decided to sell it and buy a van.

Thinking Transporter size (maybe a renault traffic).

I'm gonna do a semi conversion on it. Seatbelts for 5 and enough sleeping space for 2.

I'd like to fit a pop-top on it as well so I can sleep above without much hassle.

So, my question, finally, does anyone know of a company in ireland that fits pop-tops? I'll also need some windows fitted, so any suggestions on that front would be great too.

Thanks ;)

pop-top.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

What year?

There are plenty of websites dedicated to VW Transporter conversions that could have a wealth of information for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

probably a 00 or 01

I was looking at www.amdro.co.uk

Some savage vans there.

If you go for 00 or 01 then get a 2.4. The 1.9 is underpowered and a lot less reliable. The brake vacuum pump gives a bit of bother on the 2.4 but its not too expensive.

Check out as many websites as you can - there's a lot of ideas out there.

It's something I'd like to do in the future......

I'd like to get my hands on one of the 3000 vans (96kw I think).

I like the idea of the synchro 4wd version as well. I'll be at the beach a lot with it so it might come in handy...

I'd love one of those classic air-cooled Type 2s with the split screen. So cool.

• Advertisement

My parents used to have a '79 reg VW bus camper.
    Bright orange with a massive white pop-top roof. Was feckin deadly altogether. I'd love something that looked the same, but I just don't want the hassle of keeping it going ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Is there a VRT issue with such a conversion?

In what way? Do you mean re-registering the van with the revenue cos I've done it up?

I think I just need to let the motortax office know when I'm taxing it (camper tax is cheap as chips too :D)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Going from commerical to passenger I meant.

I reckon there may be vrt, road tax, and possibly insurance issues.

Well, I won't be converting it into a minibus, it'll be a camper. VRT would only apply if I was importing the van, which I don't plan to do (yet anyway).

I would have to let the motor tax crowd know and they'd have to inspect it before I could tax it.

Insurance is very cheap for camper vans, but until I get it converted it'd be insured as a van. I presume the insurance lads would want a look too.

• Advertisement

exactiv wrote:
    Well, I won't be converting it into a minibus, it'll be a camper. VRT would only apply if I was importing the van, which I don't plan to do (yet anyway).

I would have to let the motor tax crowd know and they'd have to inspect it before I could tax it.

Insurance is very cheap for camper vans, but until I get it converted it'd be insured as a van. I presume the insurance lads would want a look too.

If as you've said your proposed conversion includes putting in extra seats, I think there are VRT issues. Check carefully.

Is road tax for a camper van based on engine size?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Camper road tax is 79 euro, regardless of engine.

But the vehicle needs to fulfill certain criteria to be recognized as camper. As far as I can remember they are:

fixed, installed bed (foldable is allowed)
    fixed, installed cooker with min 2 hobs
    fixed, installed sink
    minimum interior height of 6 foot at the lowest point.

the last one is where some van conversions run into trouble. Some VRT inspectors seem to accept pop-up roofs ...others don't. also some seem to like to measure at the edge of the car instead of the middle.

better check with your respective inspector(s) first.

also to get camper insurances (onlty two schemes around) you have to have another vehicle for daily use.

Very difficult to impossible to insure a camper as your sole means of transport.

According to www.motortax.ie it's a flat fee of €78 per year. Which is very very cheap.

https://www.motortax.ie/mtoapp/pdf/motortax_rates_2004_en.pdf

I'm gonna ring the Revenue VRT office this afternoon to find out about the extract seats.

Anyone know of any companies in Ireland that fit the pop-top roofs to T4 Transporters?

Tax is very good value alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

You should consider one of these. Can carry 7 people yet by folding down the seats flat you can sleep 2 in comfort. 6 feet long. Its was I do.

393482_20060326050324_1.jpg

yeah. those mercs are savage. massive yolks. I'd like the extra space of the transporter though. gear, cooker, fridge etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

exactiv wrote:
    yeah. those mercs are savage. massive yolks. I'd like the extra space of the transporter though. gear, cooker, fridge etc...

We used to use one of these out in OZ. Hook it up to a w124 merc estate and you have everything you want.......comfort, reliability, space and the trailmaster took care of everything else.

WanderingStar_TrailMaster1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Cogitosus

The best source of information on tax and VRT issues for conversions is the Motor Caravan Club. You'll find them at: www.motorcaravanclub.net. One of the main advantages of the club is its credibility: if the camper goes to the VRT folks with Club membership, it reduces a lot of the tricky questions.

The man in charge is Bill Lupton; he's knowledgeable and helpful, but don't waste his time - he doesn't suffer fools gladly.

C.

Advertisement