Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legality of obtaining an old sword??

• 29-03-2006 12:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Just looking for any help if possible. I'm collecting various bits and pieces related to 1798 and would if possible like to get my hands on a pattern 1796 light cavalry sabre (original if possible) as this would really top off the collection! :)

But I was wondering are these types of swords legal here?? Or was I dreaming that I seen somewhere that knifes etc beyond a certain lenght were illegal? Do curio/militaria swords fall into this pithole too?

I'm asking this because I'd probably have to buy from the UK and have it posted. Any other collectors out there that collect such swords etc?? Love to hear from ya ;)

Many thanks,

CroppyBoy1798

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

All should be contained in the Firearms And Offensive Weapons Act. 1990 i think it is.

As long as you dont take on a group of people, hack a garda car to bits or produce it in a fight I'd say youd be ok to own one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Great, thanks for that Chief, much appreciated.

Emm...I doubth I'll be doing any of the mentioned activities so I should be ok in that regard.

Thanks again,

CroppyBoy1798

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

No problem, note public place is mentioned in the act.

So keep it indoors and its ok. (obviously not for illegal guns)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭valen

There should be no problem owning a sword. However, transporting it *is* a problem. You should let the local gardai know what you have in your house, and if you have to collect something in Cork and drive to Galway with it, just let *some* guard know what you are doing.

There is no specific law against owning a sword. However, showing one in public is enough to cause 'distress and excitement', which is enough to get your an appearance in front of a Judge to explain yourself.

It's also worth mentioning that the UK is considering an outright ban on the sale of sharp & blunt replica swords, except to those who have licences (same as Guns, really).

I'd love to know how much such things cost actually, if you do find one. I'm more a man for fighting with replicas myself, though I'm curious.

John

Thanks for the advice Valen, much appreciated. I guess letting the local Gardai know would be the best course of action, but in saying that, I got an old flintlock pistol (pattern 1796 light dragoon pistol) in relic condition (missing top hammer jaw and lock stuck in place as well is pretty severe pitting to all the metalwork) from a UK seller, I visited my local Gardai station to enquire was it ok to have such an item posted from the UK..........they looked at me as if I had two heads and couldnt care less, one guy said this, the other said that, what I basically got was, as it was in relic (ie could NOT be fired condition) it was ok.

Just to be safe again, I contacted the Department of Justice, the firearms section, two e-mails...........no reply!! They probably didnt have an answer.

So, I went ahead and bought it, arrived in the post not a problem. I wish the Goverment would sort them selfs out when it comes to such items and have a set and standard rule, not all this confusion and such. A shame that militaria collectors have to go through so much trouble and hassle to get antique militaria/curio pieces.

A confused CroppyBoy1798 :confused: :mad:

• Advertisement

Urg. Guns are a lot more difficult. You definitely want more clearance than that; including some sort of documentation from a gunsmith declaring it unfireable.

Best thing to do if you have weapons of *any* sort is to get pally with your local gardaí and let them know why you have such things. Just in case. Though, if you aren't moving them around regularly, you shouldn't really have much problems at all.

If you are interested in such things, there is a show in Shane's Castle in antrim where people will be display firing flintlocks & matchlocks somtime in June, at the Irish Medieval Festival. Bigger guns will be going off in July at the militaria show in Duncannon Fort.

John

I understand Valen, but its not so much a 'gun' anymore, its a relic, an antique. I tried to do what was right and make things official, get Garda permission, maybe get some info from the Department of Justice, but none of them seemed to be interested in my query at all, which really surprised me as I thought that was there area of expertise and they'd be more than willing to help. I though that if it were again the law I would have been told outright 'NO!!', but I wasnt, the most I got was 'well I guess as its an antique it'd be ok'.

I'm interested in militaria and local history and wont let my interest and collection suffer because of some silly Irish laws...or lack of. I'll be getting back onto the local Gardai again about this topic and maybe drop the Department of Justice another mail and find out what the deal is.

Regards,

CroppyBoy1798

Aha! I knew there was a discussion on this before...all you need to know about firing & non-firing gun ownership.

http://livinghistory.ie/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=446

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think you should be absolutely fine with the sword, I had no trouble with mine. We even had a little spar on the train, ahem.

I got me a sword :D

A pattern 1796, light infantry sword otherwise known as "That Perfect Encumbrance". A little damage, ie the knucklebow is gone and the pommel is a little loose, but I got it for a little cheaper because of that. Great etched blade though and in good shape otherwise. Pics to follow.

• Advertisement

How much was it, out of curiousity ?

John

John, it was €145, and thats pretty cheap for such a sword, if it werent damaged it'd be worth a couple hundred more. It'll fit right in with the collection and is marked GR III, he reigned from 1760 to 1820 or there abouts.

5f_12_sb.jpg

7a_12_sb.jpg

e3_12_sb.jpg

81_12_sb.jpg

Below is an intact one, note the knucklebow which is missing off mine, it seems very flimsy anyway and not attached very well.
    66_1.jpg

CroppyBoy1798

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah very nice. :)
    Good price too.

Advertisement