Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repub fakes photo of SAFE Baghdad trip????

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Heh.. Amusing.

Looks like the DU crowd have it nailed pretty conclusively with Turkey, even though a lot of their arguments are in fact wrong. I did see indeed see women dressed Western style, and not all taxis are white with orange fenders, for example. Their license plate information isn't entirely accurate either, and I particularly liked the comment that it wasn't dusty enough for Iraq. But either way, whoever decided to put that picture and that caption together is now out of a job, I'll wager.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

ok so the story moved on now, its defo Turkey, and he now blames a staffer for making a mistake and putting up the wrong photo, although I dont know where he got the photo from or had permission to use it,

he changes the photo but keeps the same Baghdad is safe and this photo shows it (and the liberal media are to blmae!) motto but look at the photo, its not taken in the street, it look like it was taken out the window of a hotel probably again the greenzone.

http://www.kaloogianforcongress.com/support/pagepics/BaghdadCityView.jpg

this guy is typical delusional rightwing slimeball who is behind the move america forward DOD funded astroturf group that organises anti-sheehan tours and also conspired with the Californian energy companies to mess with energy supply to the state to blame it on the Dem congressman to be replaced with Arnold S

take no-one we live or ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

This guy Howard Kaloogian is sooooooooo thick. Be surprised if he even gets one vote. then again, the Yanks voted George back in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

New caption
    Downtown Baghdad
    We originally posted a photograph not of Baghdad, Iraq but from Istanbul, Turkey where our delegation traveled on the way home to the United States. We apologize for this mistake. We have corrected it with a photograph we took from Baghdad. We took this photo of downtown Baghdad while we were in Iraq. Iraq (including Baghdad) is much more calm and stable than what many people believe it to be. But, each day the news media finds any violence occurring in the country and screams and shouts about it - in part because many journalists are opposed to the U.S. effort to fight terrorism.

So what are they meant to scream and shout about?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Victor wrote:
    New caption

So what are they meant to creams and shout about?

I scream.
    You scream
    We all scream for...

oh nevermind....

• Advertisement

ok so the trip was over a year ago but there a was big push by the republicans to get the blame the media mesage out, so this will hurt him, he's only got 14% while the dem has 35% so he won't win...

they now deciphered the second photo and are pretty sure it was taken from the green zone which he never left.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/3/29/22235/8895

I sorta hate the dkos and DU because they excuse the everything the spineless/monied Democrat party does, and shout down any thought of third party.

but why don't we have a dkos here to disect everything the various parties do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

but why don't we have a dkos here to disect everything the various parties do

it would get hijacked by the shinners

they now deciphered the second photo and are pretty sure it was taken from the green zone which he never left.

If they're congratulating themselves on 'deciphering' that the second photo is a green zone one, they're obviously got fairly low standards for success. I had that figured out in about two seconds flat. Maybe less.

NTM

If they're congratulating themselves on 'deciphering' that the second photo is a green zone one, they're obviously got fairly low standards for success. I had that figured out in about two seconds flat. Maybe less.

NTM

well seeing as he hasn't changed the text beside it and is still saying it proof that iraq is safer then ehat's shown on the media i think it pretty important that they point that out

Point it out, sure. But congratulating themselves for figuring it out?

I happen to believe Iraq is actually safer or the common Iraqi than the impression the media presents. He just wasn't very good at showing it.

NTM

• Advertisement

Point it out, sure. But congratulating themselves for figuring it out?

yes because what is most interesting is the way blogging/boards disected the story and found the exact place in several other ways, I too instinctively knew it was the green zone the second i saw it.
    I happen to believe Iraq is actually safer or the common Iraqi than the impression the media presents. He just wasn't very good at showing it.

NTM

?

yes because what is most interesting is the way blogging/boards disected the story and found the exact place in several other ways, I too instinctively knew it was the green zone the second i saw it.

In fairness, that concept in itself is hardly news. There have been several articles in the media on exactly that subject: Media and politicians both have to be careful of what they do and say as the Netizens are incredible pedants and will pick up on things that the media don't. Particularly since there are subject matter experts in anything on the Net, and journalists tend to know little about anything specific. If anything, this particular case is remarkable in that it took almost a year for it to be 'vetted.'
    ?

Oops. Typo.

Meant 'for the common Iraqi.'

NTM

Advertisement