Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mediasat

• 29-03-2006 5:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question I live in the sticks can't get bb, had bb for the last 3 years and am cracking up on 56k at the mo. I want to get the 1024 package from http://www.mediasat.ie just wondering if anyone has it and would it be fine for things like world of warcraft and other mmrpg's

with the home one is there an upload? this i wasn't quite sure of.
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's satellite.

1) If it is one way, you still have the same dialup costs
    2) If it is two way it is very expensive

The Home package at 10 Euro approx is just additional download. This is an extra charge on your existing internet costs for not very fast download unless you pick Home 1024 @ about 40 Euro. You use your existing dialup.

The Business package is two way. No dialup. So 100 Euro to 250 Euro approx per month which is cheap for two way satellite.

Satellite is useless for gaming. Your pings can be nearly 2000ms very poor latency.

Also for VOIP very poor as delay is more than twice worst regular phone which is only allowed to use satellite once on one directions and typically uses fibre for trans-continental calls rather than Satellite anyway. All VOIP calls use the 45,000km satellite path FOUR times for a round trip. Very painful.

The cap is low and it does not make clear the contention. Unless I was in a wilderness with NO phone connection at all, I'd avoid this.

Digiweb also do satellite, but are actually planing to replace it all with terrestrial wireless. AFAIK no other provider of Satellite services is so determined.

International surveys of Broadband never include Satellite usage. That should tell you something :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Netwhizkid summarised one way sats and two way sats very nicely . Read This Link !

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=50986617#post50986617

Advertisement