Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Impact after Marriage

Options
  • 29-03-2006 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just looking for a bit of advice - got married around 2yrs ago, however have not notified Revenue of change of status. Should I do this? Does it have any impact with both spouses working, and both on the higher tax band. My wife will be on maternity leave later on the year and from what I can figure out because she may be unpaid for a period it would be advantageous to go onto joint assessment.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Congrats on the pregnancy.

In relation to tax and marriage, I got married recently and from what I believe you can opt for either joint or separate but if you pay too much tax separatley, you can have it reassessed at the end of the year as if you were jointly assessed.

Hope that makes some sense.

www.revenue.ie will have lots of info on this.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

that's 2 years of unclaimed lower tax credits!
    Of course you should inform the revenue, you pay less tax!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I got married just after Christmas this year. Rang the tax office. As myself and my wife earn pratically the same there was no advantage to changing our tax credits. However if one earns more, or if one of the partners doesn't work you can move some/all of the tax credits to the other partner.

BTW check out the "you could be owed tax back" thread in the work forum. If you "think" you might be due tax back you probably are.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=51110511

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Cheers folks

Yeah from memory when I looked at this a while back I figured it wouldnt make much difference (our salaries are different but are both on the higher tax band). I suppose it is worth doing if there is no downside.
    I saw the thread about being due tax back - it started off pretty good but then I got a little more concerned when some people mentioned that they owed tax.
    I suppose its time to bite the bullet and try and find the relevant forms on revenue.ie

Advertisement