Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from North

Options
  • 29-03-2006 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭

Quick question:

Why dont people import from the North instead of England. Is it because there are more cars with better specs in England; or are they cheaper?

Scratching my head:cool:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I imported from NI last weekend, on this deal I would have done better at an auction in the UK, but have not seen as good a deal in any garage in the UK.
    Also I saved on travel in the Uk, plane and boat tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Greater selection in the UK and they have car supermarkets over there as well.

Prices tend to be higher in the North than in the UK also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

cars look so cheap in the north and uk but then why you add up all the vrt etc then it becomes expensive.

drdre wrote:
    cars look so cheap in the north and uk but then why you add up all the vrt etc then it becomes expensive.

Still savings to be made. I have yet to find a car cheaper in Ireland compared to a UK import even after adding VRT, Travelling Expenses etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

It depends on the value of the car.

Anything less than €20K, it is hard to make the numbers work.

Just for the craic I select a 05 Audi A4 2.0TDi £20299 10.5k miles (fow.co.uk)

Convert to Euro @ .6681 is €30383
    Add Travelling costs €1000
    VRT €10518

Total Cost €41383.17

I looked up carzone.ie and I reckon I could sell this car for €44500.

Same make model and year.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Depends on what you buy, as the lads said the more expensive the car, the more you will save by heading across.

The auction are serious over there but you need a bit of exp, time off to go to them and also the possibility that you may not get what you want first off.

perrys.co.uk are decent also.

I get a list of motors from Arriva each week, what you are looking @ for mainly Ford.

Mondeo 2.0TDCI 115 LX 5dr 04.25MY Ink Blue Mar'04 31,506 7,300

kluivert wrote:
    Still savings to be made. I have yet to find a car cheaper in Ireland compared to a UK import even after adding VRT, Travelling Expenses etc.

yes it does depend on model and spec as my dad friend got a cls 350 05(i think)well it had really low milage with every extra and he got it for around 70k and the weird thing is he sold it for 99k.now how do people manage that i donot know.thats alot of profit out of a car and he just makes a living out of bringing in cars and selling them

drdre wrote:
    yes it does depend on model and spec as my dad friend got a cls 350 05(i think)well it had really low milage with every extra and he got it for around 70k and the weird thing is he sold it for 99k.now how do people manage that i donot know.thats alot of profit out of a car and he just makes a living out of bringing in cars and selling them

This really depends on the exchange rate + lower uk vat rate and the Irish lack of knowledge as to the value of money.

Nearly 30k in profit from the above deal. Its not unhear off. Can be done.

• Advertisement

kluivert wrote:
    This really depends on the exchange rate + lower uk vat rate and the Irish lack of knowledge as to the value of money.

Nearly 30k in profit from the above deal. Its not unhear off. Can be done.

yeah i see him importing cars jeeps everyweek.he doesnot bring in anything small.they are all mercs, bmw ,maybach and also range rovers.so he must be making money as if i invest money in a maybach i would want a large return and the same in any large car.as it costs alot to bring them over and clean them up and sell them

Advertisement