Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling a UK plate car...

Options
  • 29-03-2006 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm going to have to sell my pride and joy SAAB as need to get van for new career.:( The thing is the the car is on UK plates as I brought it over when I moved here. I presume I can sell the car here and just advise DVLA (UK car registration company) that I've sold the car in the usual way.

Any one have any thoughts on this, or advice.

Thanks,

Pip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

You will be fine, just ensure that you pass on the v5 document to the new owner. What sort of saab is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Its a dark grey 1988 SAAB 900 turbo convertable.

And I'm so gutted about having to sell. But needs must..

and thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Officially, I think the seller is responsible for ensuring that the vehicle is Irish registered before selling. Maybe you should ring your local VRO to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yes, and then you will be liable for the vrt. Don't bother. As long as the new owner is able to bring the car to VRO and has all appropriate docs, it will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Gerry wrote:
    Yes, and then you will be liable for the vrt. Don't bother. As long as the new owner is able to bring the car to VRO and has all appropriate docs, it will be fine.

And don't you then have to hold on to the car for a while before you can sell it on?

Pip, you should check out the VRT payable on the car as well to factor it into the cost:
    https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Apip99 wrote:
    Hi all,

I'm going to have to sell my pride and joy SAAB as need to get van for new career.:( The thing is the the car is on UK plates as I brought it over when I moved here. I presume I can sell the car here and just advise DVLA (UK car registration company) that I've sold the car in the usual way.

Any one have any thoughts on this, or advice.

Thanks,

Pip

As you have moved over here assuming on a permanent basis, you can VRT the car for free. So long as you owned the car for more than 6 months in the UK.

Do this as the person you are selling the car to will have to pay the VRT, while you dont because you have moved here. You'll find that if you do this that the car will sell quicker.

Selling a car on UK Plates, give the v5 to the new owner, they bring this and the car to the VRT office to register it. The VRT offically stamps the v5 and issues the new owner with an Irish Car Reg Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

If you are selling the car then don't change the plates as you aren't allowed to sell the car on for 12months after you have changed them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

How much do you want for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

I haven't figured on a final cost as yet, but going to be in and around 3500K. Depending on what I do plates wise.
    But for cash offers, or Trades for van then would be happy to talk further.

Thanks for all the info guys..

Advertisement