Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any early springers caught yet?

Options
  • 29-03-2006 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hey lads,

Anyone been out in any rivers yet? i know doen the navan direction theres been a salmon caught but was spent any one any look with catching a good early springer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Hi Vibez,
    I think that you are the first and only other salmon fisher I have met on this forum. I was on the moy last weekend but to no avail.
    Weekend after next i am fishing Carrowmore lake and Owenmore river in Bangor Erris Mayo, which has produced spring fish for me in the past few years.
    Easter week will see me hounding the Moy, probably Ballylahan Bridge or Foxford waters depending on conditions.
    Keep us updated on the salmon front.
    Tight Lines !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vibez

hey chopper dog

i hate 2 put a damper on ur excitment but unfortunatly im only new to the salmon game so new that i have never done it!

my pike buddies r all salmon crazy so this summer i will be getting into it. the boyne in navan is prob were il be doin a bit of spinning. from what d lads tell me ders been some crackers caught there last year and couple of earlys

il keep u posted! ;)

Good man Vibez,

Best of luck with the silver beauties, if i can be of help in any way dont be shy to give me a shout.
    Tight lines! :)

Yup...
    My first of the season, last night. 9lbs of pure silver. River Slaney, North of Enniscorthy.
    Well worth the drive. Stoats tail 2 inch tube fly size 10 hook on a medium sink line.
    Now, where are his brothers??? :D:):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

Was reading in a Fly Fishing Mag over the weekend that there should be a good run this year due to the relatively mild winter leading to a high rate of mortality at sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

just tought i would see if you were on the moy during the week. there was a good few fish got and the water was nearly perfect, i will just have to keep my fingers until next weekend.

3 greens,
    I changed plans and went to Carrowmore lake in Bangor Erris instead and was rewarded with a 7 1/2 pounder on a hair wing red-arsed Green Peter, fishing a drift off Paradise bay. I lost another fish and landed 2 sea-trout which I returned.
    I have to work this weekend so no fishing for a fortnight :(
    I hope you bump into a silver fella or two...
    Tight Lines !

I am fishing the Ridge Pool in Ballina on Saturday morning and the Cathederal Beat on Sunday.
    Anybody else out there going to be on the Moy this weekend??

If so, anyone on for a few pints and lie telling session?:D

chopperdog

id be somewhere on the river now but unfortually i cant walk at the monemt and won't be fishing for another few weeks.:mad: not sure how the fishing is there now, but last weekend it was bit high and there was some fish got spinning. although it has dropped alot in the last few days. by the weekend it should be right for the fly and the summer fishing should be getting started. i heard that there was a couple of grilse around and there are getting good fishing in the estuary. if im around myself im going to climb into the boat and try the estuary for the trout. i seen alot of cars at ballylaughan bridge at the weekend but i dont thing there was a great return for all the rods.

Thanks for the 'heads up' 3green,

I hope the legs get back in action for you soon and before the season is out I might even bump into you on the river.
    I will let you know how the weekend went and good luck on the estuary.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 ward2wise

Lots of salmon already taken on the Lennon and the Finn.Definitely
    good early run this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

I am fishing the Ridge Pool in Ballina on Saturday morning and the Cathederal Beat on Sunday.
    I will let you know how the weekend went and good luck on the estuary.

Whats the word?
    Too many fish :D
    Too much water :mad:
    Too many pints :o

Octopus wrote:
    Whats the word?
    Too many fish :D
    Too much water :mad:
    Too many pints :o

I drew a blank on both days, but got seriously sunburt. Sunburn and salmon fishing never go hand in hand. There were only 2 fish caught on the Moy fishery for Fri, Sat & Sun.

Believe it or not, the river is still in flood after all the rain 2 weeks ago and the fish arent resting in the pools but are running upstream all the time, so too much water for fishing Ballina.

Pints.... ended up having a load of them on Sat. night in V.J. O'Dohertys on the Ridge Pool Bridge......best part of the weekend.

I will try it all again next saturday as I am back on the Cathederal Beat and will probably fish East Mayo Waters at Ballylahan Bridge on Sunday.

The things we do for a fish or two...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

Water level's seem to be very slow to drop and clear for some reason despite the dry weather for the last week.

Could be that the water table's & lakes will take a while to drain off, heard mention that some lakes rose by almost 2 foot during the deluge, thats a lot of water!

Just chatting to a few people who were out over the weekend and reports were that the Boyne could drop a foot, the lower end of the Kells Blackwater is like chocolate, the Inny is high and cloudy, the Upper Boyne and Edenderry Blackwater are high. Fishing was quite on all waters.

Mayfly was a complete washout on the rivers this year, plenty of fly life about but no fish showing.

Could be that the water table's & lakes will take a while to drain off

seems to be the problem, up stream of l.conn the moy seems to be very fishable as for down stream of the lake, well the lake is high and the water has to go somewhere, down the river. at least it will give the fish a chance to run straight through before they are caught. im off down the estuary in the morning it didn't fish well over the weekend but hopefully it will be back to its norm and i might get a fews days of fun while the weather is still good.

chopperdog, ill keep an eye out for you between the bridges an saturday, and ive been told that emaa is starting to produce fish. monroe killer might be worth a try although it did not get a fish for the fellow i was talkting to but he said how he had rose two fish there last night on it. best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Advertisement