Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final year commerce-General Management

Options
  • 29-03-2006 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

Hi guys i am in 2nd year commerce. I just want to find out more info from someone that has done the general management option

1- is it true you can choose your own timetable
    2- is there alot of presentations
    3-is ther alot of course work eg alot of reading

And any other information releated with the course would be helpful

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

You can't choose your own timetable as such but there is a lot of slack, for example, you could have a service management class on 3 times a week, and in september you choose which one you want to do (ie. not the 9am one)
    I'm doing marketing myself (which i'd highly reccomend) so i'm not 100% sure about the other 2 q's. There tends to be alot of CA in the waffely subjects (mkt, mgt,hr) and I know my friends have definitely done a presentation or two. IMO it beats the acc/finance style of 100% marks depending on your exam. You can relax at exam times because you learned most of the stuff doing course work and you have 20-30% under your belt before touching pen to paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

failsafe wrote:
    You can't choose your own timetable as such but there is a lot of slack, for example, you could have a service management class on 3 times a week, and in september you choose which one you want to do (ie. not the 9am one)
    I'm doing marketing myself (which i'd highly reccomend) so i'm not 100% sure about the other 2 q's. There tends to be alot of CA in the waffely subjects (mkt, mgt,hr) and I know my friends have definitely done a presentation or two. IMO it beats the acc/finance style of 100% marks depending on your exam. You can relax at exam times because you learned most of the stuff doing course work and you have 20-30% under your belt before touching pen to paper.

Thanks im actually thinking of doing general management 1st place or i might even do marketing im not really sure yet.

but im not going to waste my time doing finance or accounting.As its not my cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

Mine neither, and I'm really happy I steered clear. The projects in marketing and the entreprenurial one in management can actually be good fun, and they're all group based. If you do choose management, i'd recommend an elective in marketing, consumer and buyer behaviour in particular was a brilliant class.

i am interested in projects and i would love to the project .i hard you have to do a business plan on starting a new company.anyway i will wait for more info,as next week we have a talk from the head of each dept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭TrickyRicky

Im doing marketing myself, have to say I love it!!! 1st semester was definately easier than this semester. My mate did mgt and did consumer behaviour said it was good combo. Also services mgt/services marketing complement each other well. Elective wise if your not into your numbers i'd derfinatelu recommend globalisation-he tells you whats on exam & its an easy project-guaranteed 1st. 2nd semester company law doesn't have any projects so its a nice balance to all the CA in mgt/ marketing which is kinda hectic at the moment!

• Advertisement

Im doing marketing myself, have to say I love it!!! 1st semester was definately easier than this semester. My mate did mgt and did consumer behaviour said it was good combo. Also services mgt/services marketing complement each other well. Elective wise if your not into your numbers i'd derfinatelu recommend globalisation-he tells you whats on exam & its an easy project-guaranteed 1st. 2nd semester company law doesn't have any projects so its a nice balance to all the CA in mgt/ marketing which is kinda hectic at the moment!

thanks i will check it out.i think i would stick with general management.but u will keep you guys updated
    thankd for the help

Advertisement