Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

converting to gas

Options
  • 29-03-2006 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I currently have an oil fired system - does anyone know of the cost to change over to gas - ie new burner etc?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Would think that converting to gas would not be the best idea. You should consider renewable energy alternative, such as wood pellet boiler. Gas is getting more expensive, fast, and will continue to do so. There are also grants available, check out www.sei.ie.
    But to answer your question, sorry don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

Pete M. wrote:
    Would think that converting to gas would not be the best idea. You should consider renewable energy alternative, such as wood pellet boiler. Gas is getting more expensive, fast, and will continue to do so. There are also grants available, check out www.sei.ie.
    But to answer your question, sorry don't know.

yeah cheers for that - I spent yesterday checking out the pellet system along with the government grants that are now available.

To get one of those boilers to replace the oil fired system you are talking between 9-16k with a 4k grant... it is a lot of money!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I currently have an oil fired system - does anyone know of the cost to change over to gas - ie new burner etc?????
    How old is your oil boiler ? Modern ones are much more economical. If you have an OK plastic tank - maybe stick with oil. New Oil Boiler & Burner approx €2000 to €2500.
    Do not get a gas burner which would fire into an old oil type boiler. This would not be economical :eek: If you are going to gas, at least get a completely new gas boiler.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Was thinking of changing to gas myself and was quoted 4k for a simple conversion ie removal of present oil burner connection to piping etc and commisioning ( Rip Off ) considering it then requires a yearly service which i used to carry out and still do on my oil fired system and gas prices were increased by 25% i decided to stick with the oil .Decided to spend more on dry lining walls and new insulation in the attic also fitted a zone valve which split the house in two so upstairs is not unnecessarily heated during the day .
    total cost aprox € 700 and it looks like i have reduced my oil consumption from 3 1000 litre fills a year to 2 , so running cost aprox € 1200 a year a little dearer than my neighbour who is on gas but then i saved over 3K .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

9-14 K seems like what I was coming across when I was looking for different types, but I found an Irish company that will supply and commission for 5K incl. VAT. I assume that the €4200 grant figure quoted is the max you can get, and that the grant is only a percentage (may be wrong, would be great if I was). Have a look at the other threads on wood pellet boilers, I've put a few figures in the 'anyone installed a woodchip boiler' thread.
    There is a lot of information out there, keep at it. It will be worth it in the long run, as the price of gas is linked to that of oil, and therefore the skies the limit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement