Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Broadband?

• 29-03-2006 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭

Hello all,

I need to get wireless broadband into my flat for a few months.

What are the best packages or company? i know clearwire block a load of ports to stop downloading and such.

I don't need it for gaming but i might like to download something now and again!

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭rip2roar

Dont go with Irish Broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

there are 2 others you can try (other than uselessbroadband)...

Metro (from digiweb.ie)
    or
    Icecomms (icecomms.net).

I have both at the moment and they are both ok, although digiweb has been playing up recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Where do you live (O.P.)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

rip2roar wrote:
    Dont go with Irish Broadband
    +1 Very good advice. Nice, simple and more importantly very true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

I live in phibsborough. and i have heard irish broadband are awful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Energizer wrote:
    I live in phibsborough. and i have heard irish broadband are awful
    Well, I'm near Hanlon's Corner and I'm on the Park House mast (after months of dreadful service on the Guinness mast) and the connection was alright for the first couple of months but now it's useless for gaming and downloads speeds are nowhere near what they should be for a 2Mb connection (50~60Kbps from Heanet.ie...) :(
    That's exactly what I predicted would happen...

IMO, IBB ARE useless. Can't wait to get my proper SMART connection! My advice is:"Keep away from wireless altogether (especially IBB)". :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Will you be able to put up an aerial or are you stuck with using the 'wireless modem' boxes like Ripwave and Clearwire use? If it's the latter then your choices are only Ripwave or Clearwire I think, one of which is useless and the other is not much better.

If you can put up an aerial then most, if not all, of the providers have a minimum of 1 year on the contract so it won't do you any good if you only want it for a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

I'm in Phibsboro aswell, and I'm with Digiweb (Metro - basic package)
    If you've been following the (56 page or something ridiculous like that) thread in them you'll see that they're experiencing problems on their mast that services the city center at the moment.

It'll hopefully be sorted out soon, but until then it's quite erratic.

I don't actually know anything about icecomms ... never even heard of them tbh :)

Thanx for all the info people.

Was thinking of getting in a cable modem for the NTL in the flat.

Only problem is that the landlord pays for the ntl and i'm not sure he would let me do this.

Wireless seems to pretty awful in ireland at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Cable Modem? Is NTL available in phibs?! :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Ntl is only currently availible in Tallaght and parts of Dublin 15. I myself have just moved to Drumcondra from Carpenterstown where I had Ntl which was pretty good now there is no cable availble in Drumcondra. I hear NTL is bringing out an 8 meg connection soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Energizer wrote:
    Thanx for all the info people.

Was thinking of getting in a cable modem for the NTL in the flat.

Only problem is that the landlord pays for the ntl and i'm not sure he would let me do this.

Wireless seems to pretty awful in ireland at the moment.

Big generalisation, Even IBB, the worst culprits with cheap ripwave do have better Breeze. If you have good LOS to any of the 10GHz Wireless systems they are as good as any adsl or cable BB.

I'm on 3M/0.5 + phone Digiweb metro and apart from some glitches when they were first setting up Limerick it is fine.

ahh damn, didn't get a chance to check if ntl was available in my area. Thanx for the info anyway.

Big wireless connections seem to cost a bomb though.

Advertisement