Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Caldina any good?

Options
  • 29-03-2006 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Warning extremely unexciting thread !

I'm on the lookout for a large-ish estate car. My search so far has been hampered by the following factors:
    For tax and insurance reasons i don't want to go over 2 liter
    The boot with the seats up has to be min 1 metere long (big dogs)
    I dont want to spend more than about 8k, preferably less
    I want something reliable that will keep going for a few years without fuss

On Kangoos and Berlingos the boot is too short, same goes for Astra
    Focusses are too expensive (if in a decent state)
    Mondeos ...I just don't like the old shape
    In general estates in my price range have gargantuan mileages

Had a look at some Merc E 200's ... great reputation unfortunately doesn't hold up in the flesh ... neglected, rusting heaps, all of them

So my eye fell on Jap import Caldinas.
    Most of them seem to be two liter diesel Automatic and comparatively expensive but with low mileage of around 50 k.

Has anybody any experience with them? What else are they besides utterly boring and yawn enducing?

Toyotas really "the best built cars in the world" ...even the Jap imports?
    Will they keep driving forever? How about maintenance and parts ...will i get that here without probs?
    I heard that Jap mainland cars sometimes have no underbody rustproofing?

Would be grateful for any and all input on this truly uninspiring topic:D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's Carina.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ken Shabby wrote:
    It's Carina.

But then again, maybe not?

http://www.batfa.com/new_car_toyota_caldina.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Ken Shabby wrote:
    It's Carina.

Nope - it's Caldina alright. As you say yourself many, many times on boards: have an old Google for yourself there! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Its caldina in Japan, Carina here - same way fairlady/300zx, and Eunos/mx5, or corona/corolla.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I was joking, you muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Ken Shabby wrote:

I Don't think you were :p

so ...anyone any ideas if this would be a good buy?

(besides the fact that it is a boring, soulless car and you wouldn't be seen dead driving it)

BTW ...how does one verify that a Jap import hasn't been clocked ?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Ken Shabby wrote:

As yes i get it now. NOT!

Why is it that whenever you are wrong about something it turns out that you were joking all along? Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Hi Peasant,

Yes Toyota are very reliable, and in alot of cases very boring.

In terms of parts, they are mostly the same, but carry different part numbers at times.
    Alot of dealers will not supply parts if you give a Jap Import chassis number. So you'd have to get your hands on an Irish chassis number to make your life easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭maidhc

You will be getting a Carina/Avensis depending on the year I guess. The 2.0TD is a nice engine (really quiet) but quite a few have given head problems causing them to overheat. I'm sorry I cant be more specific, but our '99 Avensis did overheat, and toyota said the head was modified in 2001. Give the gearbox a good run too before you buy it. Make sure it goes into gear easily.

Other than that I suppose they are ok. The panels are very light but very difficult to dent.

It is a comfortable car!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The engine in the 99 and 01 are two different units (2.0 TD and 2.0 D-4D)

Should be a good car, and usually very high spec too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:
    The engine in the 99 and 01 are two different units (2.0 TD and 2.0 D-4D)
    I didn't mean the D4D, just the 2.0TD being modified to eliminate whatever flaw was there. Again I had nothing much to do with the whole transaction, so I'm not sure about the precise details.

Would the Caldina have the D4D?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

peasant wrote:
    Warning extremely unexciting thread !

I'm on the lookout for a large-ish estate car. My search so far has been hampered by the following factors:
    For tax and insurance reasons i don't want to go over 2 liter
    The boot with the seats up has to be min 1 metere long (big dogs)
    I dont want to spend more than about 8k, preferably less
    I want something reliable that will keep going for a few years without fuss

On Kangoos and Berlingos the boot is too short, same goes for Astra
    Focusses are too expensive (if in a decent state)
    Mondeos ...I just don't like the old shape
    In general estates in my price range have gargantuan mileages

Had a look at some Merc E 200's ... great reputation unfortunately doesn't hold up in the flesh ... neglected, rusting heaps, all of them

So my eye fell on Jap import Caldinas.
    Most of them seem to be two liter diesel Automatic and comparatively expensive but with low mileage of around 50 k.

Has anybody any experience with them? What else are they besides utterly boring and yawn enducing?

Toyotas really "the best built cars in the world" ...even the Jap imports?
    Will they keep driving forever? How about maintenance and parts ...will i get that here without probs?
    I heard that Jap mainland cars sometimes have no underbody rustproofing?

Would be grateful for any and all input on this truly uninspiring topic:D

How about something like these as alternatives:

VW Passat Estate TDi
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=384810
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=339808

BMW 320i/520i Touring:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=359404
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=375669

Peugeot 406 Estate:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=390289

Subaru Legacy:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=309310&message=You%20searched%20for%3A%20Subaru%20Legacy%2C%20Year%3A%201996%2E%20Your%20search%20returned%20one%20vehicle%2C%20which%20is%20shown%20below%2E&CFID=3304717&CFTOKEN=72471613

Alfa Romeo 156 Sportwagen:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=392902
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=354458

maidhc wrote:
    I didn't mean the D4D, just the 2.0TD being modified to eliminate whatever flaw was there. Again I had nothing much to do with the whole transaction, so I'm not sure about the precise details.

Would the Caldina have the D4D?

the D-4D came in in 2000, don't know if the Caldina got the D-4D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

There a 4wd 2L turbocharged 280bhp variant of the caldina to be had... not so boring.. look into it.. .:D

3218_00.jpg

something like this?

bazz26 wrote:
    How about something like these as alternatives:

VW Passat Estate TDi

BMW 320i/520i Touring:

Peugeot 406 Estate:

Subaru Legacy:

Alfa Romeo 156 Sportwagen:

Believe me ...had a look at all of those. (except for the 3-series beemer ...just fail to see what all the fuss is about ...hopelessly overrated/overpriced IMO)

Unfortunately, most of my driving consists of pootling around narrow country lanes ...forking out the insurance premiums for subaru twin-turbos / perceived "luxury cars" like the 5 -series just doesn't make sense when there is no opportunity to actually enjoy the perfomance. (plus a 5-er with two litres only ...that's just cruel ...the amputated ultimate driving machine ...couldn't do that to myself) (drove my bosses 520 a few years ago ...that engine just didn't sound happy at any speed ...always just that bit strained)

Passats and Peugeots sub 8k usually fall under the gargantuan mileage bracket and sadly, sadly the Alfa Sportwagon just doesn't hack it as a doggy taxi (size DOES matter :D )

Guess I'm getting old ...:(

I need something sensible, reliable that I can drive for a few years on bad roads without breaking down and without costing too much ...

EDIT: but the price on that blue Passat at least somewhat reflects the mileage ... should be worth a looksee ...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

peasant wrote:
    Believe me ...had a look at all of those. (except for the 3-series beemer ...just fail to see what all the fuss is about ...hopelessly overrated/overpriced IMO)

Unfortunately, most of my driving consists of pootling around narrow country lanes ...forking out the insurance premiums for subaru twin-turbos / perceived "luxury cars" like the 5 -series just doesn't make sense when there is no opportunity to actually enjoy the perfomance. (plus a 5-er with two litres only ...that's just cruel ...the amputated ultimate driving machine ...couldn't do that to myself) (drove my bosses 520 a few years ago ...that engine just didn't sound happy at any speed ...always just that bit strained)

Passats and Peugeots sub 8k usually fall under the gargantuan mileage bracket and sadly, sadly the Alfa Sportwagon just doesn't hack it as a doggy taxi (size DOES matter :D )

Guess I'm getting old ...:(

I need something sensible, reliable that I can drive for a few years on bad roads without breaking down and without costing too much ...

EDIT: but the price on that blue Passat at least somewhat reflects the mileage ... should be worth a looksee ...

Fair points but the vibe I got from your original post was that you were not happy with this type of car even before you looked at it. You didn't sound convinced imo. That is basically why I suggested a few alternatives and just to show that there are a few interesting estate cars out there. Granted I would not fancy some of those alternatives as practical every day load carriers either.

In general I think most Jap imports of this nature are as overpriced as any other. €6K or €7K for a 10 year old Caldina is crazy money imo irrespective of the spec and low mileage.

Did you consider going to the UK for a car? A bit of hassel alright but a much better choice over there and generally cars are kept in much better condition. Even with VRT and price of flights/ferries it may well work cheaper. It might be worth doing a bit of research into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

The Caldina is the carina/avensis Mk I estate in Japan. This years caldina is a totally different car, more a sportswagon. The Avensis estate is exported
    to Japan from the U.K. And remember that the Carina estate was still being
    built up to 2003 for the japanese market as a van with windows. So they
    will probably come here soon as imports. The car is extremely basic, it doesnt even have hubcaps or a roof rail.

• Advertisement

Fair points but the vibe I got from your original post was that you were not happy with this type of car even before you looked at it. You didn't sound convinced imo. That is basically why I suggested a few alternatives and just to show that there are a few interesting estate cars out there. Granted I would not fancy some of those alternatives as practical every day load carriers either.
    In general I think most Jap imports of this nature are as overpriced as any other. €6K or €7K for a 10 year old Caldina is crazy money imo irrespective of the spec and low mileage.

You're spot on on both accounts ...I'm not happy with the idea of the boring Toyota and I would agree that they are overpriced as well.

Perhaps I will have to look in the UK, because the state of Irish cars is dismal.
    Whatever about servicing and looking after of "normal" cars ...where there is a pretty poor standard ... estate cars just seem to get no love whatsoever.

I'm yet to look at one that has anything anywhere near resembling a service history ...never mind an interior that was cleaned and looked after at least once in its life before the dealer had it valeted and glossed over.

What doesn't help is the fact that I've already got what I need ...sort of ...

The current Suzuki Jimny, with the back seats down and the dog guard and load tray, does the job perfectly. Its great on narrow roads, its great around town, it doesn't mind being attacked by at least twenty potholes every day, it's reliable and very economical to run. (plus you can get it out of the ditch without having to call a tow car)
    The 90% of the time that I drive it alone to work and back, its' absolutely perfect, and I love it
    But the 10% that I drive it full up with wife and three dogs, or long distance, it's so cramped and uncomfortable that I want to throw it away there and then.

But whenever I look at a bigger estate car, there is always something not quite perfect about it (too expensive, too high miles, too tatty, questionable reliability etc) that I have to ask myself: Is the extra cost of running this instead of the Suzuki going to increase my "satisfaction rate" significantly over 90%? Or am I even going to come out lower?

I guess, what I'm really not happy with is the fact that I have to be so sensible and boring. How I'd love to just say feck it, get that 280 hp Subaru twin turbo and be done with it ...I could probably afford it as well ...it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Like the Rolling Stones said ....It's a drag getting old ...

:D:D:D

Advertisement