Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slight checkerboard effect in some games

Options
  • 29-03-2006 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭

At the moment, I have a 9800XT 256mb in my rig (see below) and I have been looking into getting a 7800GS to tide me over until I build a new pc next year. I have done a lot of research (some of it here) and my system should be grand power wise etc for the 7800GS.

The problem is some games can get slight checkerboard effects at times example: around the edges of water on half-life 2 and such. I researched this and it seemed as though it could of been a faulty pipeline in my 9800XT now the only reason I think it may not be that way is sometimes I see these SLIGHT 'checkerboard effects' on my desktop (if I'm highlighting pictures to print). so I am wondering could this problem not be with my current graphics card at all and be a cpu/pc problem?

bottom line is I do not want to go out and spend cash on 7800gs if these effects are still going to be there
    sorry for the long -windedness of this post.

jones

Dell 8300
    Pentium 4 3.4Ghz with HT
    1 GIG RAM
    9800XT 256mb
    Audigy 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

In all likely hood it is graphics related either through hardware or software, if there was something else wrong with the system like bad RAM for instance it would manifest itself in more than just one way.

Though it doesnt hurt to check the RAM with something like Memtest+ for an hour or so.

If it's the graphics hardware not much you can do, I haven't kept up to speed on what utility if any can disable pipes in ATI GPU's (I know RivaTuner can do it to NVIDIA GPU's).

Now it could be a software issue a bug the crept its way back into the Catalyst drivers as that does tend to happen with older hardware. What you could try is the Omega drivers as they are tweaked for 3D visual quality instead of performance so you lose a little performance but it "might" fix whatever's gone wrong..

Of course the fact this happens in 2D as well probably means a possible hardware issue but it is worth trying anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭jones

yeah thanks for the reply 8T8 i am almost certain it is a gpu issue i have tried every type of driver - Catalyst and omega - so i'm sure its hardware related. to be honest it doesnt have a major effect on my gaming since it only happens in certain places in certain games which is strange.

Advertisement