Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting oil to wood pellet boiler

• 29-03-2006 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi,

I am doing a self build currently and my plumber is installing OFCH. I was wondering how difficult would it be to convert this in 4 or 5 years time to a wood pellet boiler system when I think it would be more economical. I am installing the boiler in an outisde garage of 5.5m * 5.5m * 4m so there should be enough space for a wood pellet boiler and storage container. I know there are grants available now for wood pellet boilers but it is too late to change what I am installing currently as the plumber is almost finish his first fix.

Lastbuilders

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

Hi,

I am doing a self build currently and my plumber is installing OFCH. I was wondering how difficult would it be to convert this in 4 or 5 years time to a wood pellet boiler system when I think it would be more economical. I am installing the boiler in an outisde garage of 5.5m * 5.5m * 4m so there should be enough space for a wood pellet boiler and storage container. I know there are grants available now for wood pellet boilers but it is too late to change what I am installing currently as the plumber is almost finish his first fix.

Lastbuilders
    #

here is some info on them

http://www.sei.ie/index.asp?locID=765&docID=-1

For the pellet boiler - to replace the OFCH you are looking at between 9-16k with a government grant of about 4,800

http://www.solarenergyireland.com/extraflame_wood_pellet_stoves.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭mijmu

kerrybiofuels are doing a boiler for 4670 to heat a 3000 sqf house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭conleth

Would you get the 4800 grant for the 4670 kerrybio fuel boiler - seems we could make money on this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Anybody know what the likely cost of the wood pellets would be to heat a standard 3 bed semi as opposed to the cost of gas / oil . Whats the point in changing and paying big money if the running costs are not significantly lower .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

mijmu wrote:
    kerrybiofuels are doing a boiler for 4670 to heat a 3000 sqf house

That is very good value!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Got a reply from Kerrybiofuels about a question I asked they claim that 2Kg's of wood pellets is equivilant to 1 litre of oil.

By my rough calculations with a bulk load of pellets costing €160 per tonne and oil costing about 60c per litre that's about 32c per 2Kg's of pellets nearly half price at current prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

Anybody know what the likely cost of the wood pellets would be to heat a standard 3 bed semi as opposed to the cost of gas / oil . Whats the point in changing and paying big money if the running costs are not significantly lower .

www.sei.ie have that info. it appears that pellets are dearer than gas, however the supply charge for gas makes gas dearer.
    the advantage of wood pellets is theoretical esentially that co2 emmisions are zero taking into account the fact the tree absorbs co2 in its lifetime and this balances with the co2 on burning the said wood.
    also the wood is renewable as the trees i persume grow fast under the the 'free' energy of the sun.
    eventually with fossil fuels increasing in price pellets may be much more viable. the grants help certainly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

I think we can see the price of gas going up shortly. And if the Russians get the hump again, it will really rise. Pellets are the best option long term. As more suppliers come on stream, the price will fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭mijmu

Kerrybiofuels give the following info for the Opop Boiler 24KW

You get the boiler, burner, 1600mm auger and
    200kg capacity hopper for 4670 inc vat.

in Winter it will use 200KGs in 2 weeks (32 euro)

In Summer it will use 200KGs in 7 weeks (32 euro)

Their website is www.kerrybiofuels.ie (hope it is ok to post this).

They have plenty of info there. Balcas in Eniskillen delivery 1 tonne for €157.50, min delivery 3 tonnes.

I was trying to work out how much it would cost allowing that a hopper full of pellets would last on average 3 weeks.

52 weeks divided by 3 = 17 approx

5 X 200KGs = 1 tonne.

17 / 5 = 3.5

Allow a bit extra, 4 tonnes for the year = €628

They also have a 16KW that heats up to 2000 Sqf house for €4360

Does anyone know on what criteria the grants are given, or is it everyone that applies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

I talked to the plumber and he is happy to go with the wood pellet boiler. The scheme is for 5 years but I would not say that 27 million euros will go that far. The SEI said once you fit the criteria you are "almost" gauranteed getting the grant so seems like the best option. Will still be more expensive than oil initially but the price of oil/gas is only going one way.

I got a few quotations for a 30KW boiler of about 7600. this includes the 3.5 tonne hopper and aurger. The boiler itself was 4961 inc vat and commissioning.

It is a lot cheaper to buy the pellets in bulk so the large hopper will be big help iin getting a quicker return on your investment. To see a calculator of the potential savings there is a good calculator on the powertech site.
    http://www.powertechireland.co.uk/savings.cfm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I got a few quotations for a 30KW boiler of about 7600. this includes the 3.5 tonne hopper and aurger. The boiler itself was 4961 inc vat and commissioning.

From ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 myself69

Does anyone know if there is a wood-pellet supplier in Dublin that would "blow" the pellets into your storage tank?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi myself69,

There is no supplier in the Dublin area providing that service, I have brought the subject up with Balcas and they would welcome such a service.

However if their truck could service all Ireland at two to three weeks notice that says to me there is not a big enough demand for bulk pellet fuel in Dublin yet.

Balcas will provide the service in Dublin or any area of Ireland.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

what about an extension. was planning gas but now !!!!

its a semi-detached with a new utility room to the side .
    Is it a possibility to have this boiler at an outside wall of a 5m * 2.5m utility room ??
    what size are the full units.
    do they act the same as an oil boiler --ie circulating hot water around a chamber that is heated by a fuel source ??

thx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Karl.....

Yes the boiler does work in much the same way as an oil system and you should be able to fit a boiler in the space you have indicated.

Advertisement