Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pres girls 'disarm' gun dealer (Leinster Express, March 29, 2006)

Options
  • 29-03-2006 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭

This is the main front page story-
    leinsterexpress200603298ow.th.jpg

I thought for a minute that Donie (Portlaoise Rod & Gun) was in some sort of trouble :D

Not entirely sure what to make of this. I suppose it's good that students take an interest in international affairs and human rights, but to me, the whole thing smacks of an 'agenda' on the part of the Channel 4 people and the school authorities. It's all very 'right on' and PC.
    I note the utter absence of any 'gun' in their dealings (taking down international arms dealers :confused:), despite the headline. God help us if a gadget for throwing stones meets the definition of a 'gun' :rolleyes:

It's all in the public domain, but I've taken the liberty of blanking out the photograph and names of the students. I've left the names of the adults involved as is.

I suppose we'll have to watch the programme (Dispatches, Channel 4, Monday April 3rd, 8pm) to see the whole thing.

Comments

I dont quite get what they did...

Did channel 4 just make a programme out some girls google results?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If that's what I think it is Rovi, it's about how Irish law lets people broker arms deals to nations under embargo, and is a good thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Sparks wrote:
    If that's what I think it is Rovi, it's about how Irish law lets people broker arms deals to nations under embargo, and is a good thing...
    Sparks wrote:
    Is there an echo in here? :D

Ah, fair enough. It makes a bit more sense now, even though that isn't made too clear in the article.
    The way it was written, it looked like they were purchasing this stuff with a view to importing it here. They DID manage to get the bloke with the stone-thrower in for a demo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Were these the same girls who bought "torture devices" over the net? Namely handcuffs :rolleyes: Can't remember whether it was in the Indo or on TV that I saw them.

Edited to add, so they are, after I read it all. I suppose if they can get Eurostar on tv...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Such a waste of effort ....

"Stone throwing devices indeed..." :rolleyes:

When they could have gotten something useful like this..

cocked2.jpg

Or this ....

hartre1j.jpg

But I guess that would only make the soldiers in the castle
    behave like this...:)

taunters.jpg

deadly stuff ...
    I wonder what part of the CJB covers these ...

Jeez ..papers will print anythng these days... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

The whole story is bizarre beyond belif.
    Lets look at this abit closely;
    An Isreali "stone throwing machine" WTF is that???I did a web search on this with no results apart from a trebecheut or a catapult or sling coming up.ASFIK the Palestinians do the stone throwing,not the Isrealis.Also why bother as they have enough state of the art riot equipment to not bother with rock chucking..

Having some contacts on the international surveillance and arms market.I can catergorically say that NO arms dealer who is genuine would roll over, not to mind get out of bed for a misely six grand.Or travel to Ireland to demonstrate this either.60 grand maybe,6grand???..oiveh oiveh,do you think I am a shmuck do it for such??NOT A HOPE!!!

A school allows MINORS to get involved in a questionably legal activity,with the possibility of legal and illegal kickback?If the arms dealers felt a bit put out by this.I can assure that these kind of people do not take this kind of nonsense lightly,and wouldnt be too adverse to give a real life demonstration to that school teacher and kids and their fammilies of their more lethal wares.

Failing that I as a parent would be sueing the ass of that school,teacher involved and dept of education,for letting my child get involved in a potentially dangerous and criminal activities.Everything from conspiring to import arms to conspiring to posses and import offensive weapons.
    They have already committed one crime on Irish soil.It is an offence under the Companies Act for anyone under eighteen to set up, or be registerd as a director of a company in Ireland.If they genuinely registerd this company,they are in deep warm and brown matter.Not to mind that the details of their names and address are available in a public domain.Really smart.
    As for the "torture devices" handcuffs etc.For fecks sake go down to any bondage dept in your sex shop and you will get that stuff no problem.
    I think this is either a major put up,with this lot trying to get onto TV or some such.Or it is criminally irresponsible PC indoctrination.Either which way I think that teacher had better be called to account for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShayHT

As far as I know they were just demonstrating how easy it is too buy (torture) devices over the net. They got shackles (not the kind you get in a sex shop!) sent to the school, other items they sent to a contact in the US because they cannot be imported into Ireland (i think some kind of extreme stun gun was one of them).

Of course it was done in a proper manner, parents knew, school kids were not put in "danger", etc.

From what I've read it was not an anti gun programme, it was just showing how easy it is to buy certain items online...

ShayHT wrote:
    As far as I know they were just demonstrating how easy it is too buy (torture) devices over the net

Well Duh!!!You can buy anything over the net,including shackles of all types and sizes and uses.What is the difference between those used for restraining prisioners or for some kinky sex???
    They got shackles (not the kind you get in a sex shop!) sent to the school, other items they sent to a contact in the US because they cannot be imported into Ireland (i think some kind of extreme stun gun was one of them).
    Not much then in the gun running then.There have been penty of those sent over here.As well as that they could be charged with Conspiring to import illegal arms into the State.Remember what Charlie Haughey and Co were charged with in 1972???
    Of course it was done in a proper manner, parents knew, school kids were not put in "danger", etc.
    Yeah righhhtt!!Either the parents are total dimwitts,or total liberals beyond belif.How do you know that these kids and parents will not be in danger in the near or far future.????
    That alone suggests a naivete of what kind of people you could be /are dealing with.I,if I was a parent would be kicking up blue murder with the school for even suggesting and letting such a project even be mooted.I hope if anything does happen Channel 4 and the school will have a very good explanation.
    From what I've read it was not an anti gun programme, it was just showing how easy it is to buy certain items online
    ]

Never said it was anti gun ,just a very naive,stupid and dangerous and illegal thing or publicity stunt to involve children in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShayHT

Well Duh!!!You can buy anything over the net.
    Which is exactly what they were showing. That anyone can buy anything from legitimate companies. We're not talking about shady companies or gun runners here.
    These were teenage girls, not your average dictator
    What is the difference between those used for restraining prisioners or for some kinky sex???
    One is for kinky sex, the other is for torture.
    Not much then in the gun running then.There have been penty of those sent over here.
    Not sure what you meant in the first half of your point. Of course there have been plenty of guns sent here through the mail. But not bought from legitimate companies.
    As well as that they could be charged with Conspiring to import illegal arms into the State.
    Which is why they got the illegal items sent to the states where they aren't illegal.

Yeah righhhtt!!Either the parents are total dimwitts,or total liberals beyond belif.How do you know that these kids and parents will not be in danger in the near or far future.????
    Why would they be in danger. All they did was show that girls legally bought (questionable) items over the net. The companies aren't going to care. The "people" that usually buy these items aren't going to care.
    Never said it was anti gun ,just a very naive,stupid and dangerous and illegal thing or publicity stunt to involve children in.
    Nothing illegal was done...

[
    QUOTE=ShayHT]Which is exactly what they were showing. That anyone can buy anything from legitimate companies. We're not talking about shady companies or gun runners here.
    These were teenage girls, not your average dictator

So why bother????That is like saying it rains in Ireland.That you can buy dodgy things on the net.
    They SET themselves up to be a brokerage busisness in arms.[As per Sunday Times article]Which would imply that they were planning to import illegal items into Ireland.Which the claimed they did with this dubious Iserali arms dealer and his stone thrower.Plus the tone of the article suggests that they were trying to prove that you can brokerage arms deals without let or hinderance in Ireland.Newsflash!!!Arms are the THIRD most traded items on this planet!!!Next to food and oil.So it is more than likely that hundreds of arms deals are done in Ireland every day.
    One is for kinky sex, the other is for torture.

A very simplistic answer.Both are used in a restraint situation,but one is for fun[?]and the other for prisioner restraint.It is a "dual use"piece of equipment and it depends on who uses them where,not the equipment itself.
    Not sure what you meant in the first half of your point. Of course there have been plenty of guns sent here through the mail. But not bought from legitimate companies.

Helloo!!Did you miss the IRA sending handguns back from Florida in 1998,bought from ligit dealers and companies in Miami ,using stolen and fake ID???
    Conspircy;adj to conspire;def a group of two or more persons meet to plot,plan or otherwise organise a criminal,seditious,or rebellious plan against the laws of their state ,seligion or kingdom.Or against another person, group or entity.To plan a criminal or illegal enterprise.

Your group planned,and plotted to aquire a device that is illegal in Ireland under the firearms acts.That they had it sent to the USA instead,is IMMATERIAL in the eyes of the law.You knew it was an illegal device here ,you provided presumeably the monies from here to purchase it,and WHAT grauntee can they give that this was not another part of the game that the stun gun would not be exported from the US under a false customs declaration????Part and parcel of gun running,and would fit into this farscial charade.Double whammy!!Conspiring and actual smuggling.Well at least they wouldnt have been done in the US with illegal exports as a stungun isnt classified as a firearm over there.

Why would they be in danger. All the did was show that girls bought questionable items over the net. The companies aren't going to care. The "people" that usually buy these items aren't going to care.

My God,how naive can you be???It shows you dont know much about the international arms busisness!Do you know exactly who that Isreali was???

So you maybe have just embarresed maybe one of the most exellent at the intelligence and counter spying countries in the world.
    What could they do...Well,where to start.Apart from the obvious and making sure all involved have unfortunate "accidents" like getting run over,drowning in the bath,heart attacks etc.To just making life generally Hell in many different ways,plenty.
    If you are lucky and this was just Mossad taking the piss out of a bunch of gulliable Irish school kids and a leftist nun andTV programme count your blessings that they were just messin with you.
    Which the more I read of this farsecial story,is what I think happened,as the Isrealis DO NOT like the Irish
    one little bit.Considering that came from the PIRA giving undying support to the PLO in the 70s and 80s.
    Plus the Isrealis have helped in screwing up a fair few PIRA/INLA arms shipments in their time,they would have been naturally suss of any offers coming from Ireland.
    They must be laughing themselves silly in Tel Aviv over this especially when an arms dealer would go to Ireland for six grand!!!!The poorest arms dealer I know doesnt handle anything under one million euros.And he is totally small fry engaged in suitcase smuggling.[IE shoving a suitcase of arms around the place]

If he is of the dodgy type arms dealer,the kind who doesnt mind flogging abit of drugs on the side,and this is becoming a very blurred line these days between arms and drugs.I would suggest that those involved purchase as their next project a good few bullet proof vests,a lot of lexan glass for their houses along with a good cctv,and learn how to check mom and dads car for explosive devices.Why do you think intl arms dealers have top of the range security???

All in all they got involved in somthing alot more dangerous than they ever should and the ramifications of this might never be known or be VERY serious further down the road for them or very detrimential in their future lives and careers.Dealing in arms and the people involved in that world is NO childs game.They are deadly serious people with little or no sense of humour,and one thing I have learned from my fortuneatly breif knowledge of them.They absolutely NEVER forget and absolutely DO NOT like being exposed or having the piss taken.
    Nothing illegal was done]
    Tell that to the judge.Before he sends somone down for a five year stint as a guest of the Irish nation.

• Advertisement

jaycee wrote:
    Such a waste of effort ....

"Stone throwing devices indeed..." :rolleyes:
    It'll be interesting to see if the 'stone throwing machine' vendor looks anything like this-whistle2vq.jpg,
    and if there's a bloke at the bottom end of the field shouting:"Jehovah! Jehovah! Jehovah!"

:D:D:D

An article about this on the BBC site-
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/4864590.stm

I love the pictures of the missile and the display of 'Lord of War' style eeeeevilness. :D

Just amazing as well that the most critical footage of the Iserali man with his catapult er.... stone throwing cannon,is missing from the entire story.IE prima facie evidence of this arms deal couldn't be filmed by the dispatches camera crew or the young gun runners.???

Wait! I know what the stone thrower is....It is a SPUD CANNON!!! A DIY contraption made of PVC pipe that fires spuds and works off hair spray.All the plans are available on the net,you can make them look quite sinister and this smart effer in Isreal put one together,possibly and saw a quick way of making six grand and a trip to Ireland paid for by this lot.Boy oh Boy!!!Got to give it to the Jews for any chance of making a quick few quid!!Fair fecks to him!!:D :D:D ROTFLAMO

Just a little reminder to everyone to tune in/set your VCR to Channel 4 in 40 minutes or so.

I'm particularly looking forward to the stone throwing machine demo. :D

Dont have channel 4 down here in the boonies.Will somone post if possible a pic of the stone thrower?Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Hi CG,

Picture an inverted belt sander with a feed hopper..
    At 40 yards..
    If it was a contest in lethality between this and a 10 year old with a home made catapult ...my money would be on the kid..:rolleyes:

jaycee wrote:
    Hi CG,

Picture an inverted belt sander with a feed hopper..
    At 40 yards..
    If it was a contest in lethality between this and a 10 year old with a home made catapult ...my money would be on the kid..:rolleyes:

ROTFLAMO!!!:D :D:D:D
    So not even as I theorised a spud cannon.Guess the Palestinian kids with their homemade slings and catapults will outgun anyone who shows up with this gadjet.No doubt now our govt will buy this to equip the Gardai with state of the art riot equipment,cos it was on the telly.Be handy I guess for another riot in O'Connell building site,[formerly O Connell St].:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

i did see one of the girls been interviewed on the news when all this was first aired. She said that the web sites they were on all had day to day items as links such as kettles or toasters but when you clicked on the link an M60 or such would pop up with price on it. She also said they were sent catalogs from companies that contained guns!!!

CG has there been any low flying cargo planes seen over your house lately? Wont be long now till yiz clare boys declare independence;) :D

chem wrote:
    i did see one of the girls been interviewed on the news when all this was first aired. She said that the web sites they were on all had day to day items as links such as kettles or toasters but when you clicked on the link an M60 or such would pop up with price on it

What an extrodinary way of selling arms!!
    Reminds me of the old Russian joke,of the worker in the sewing machine factory,who is pesterd by his wife to get him a new sewing machine.So he smuggles out parts from the production line every day.Finally he has them all,and he assembles them one night.But try as he might all he ends up with is an AK47!! [Oh well Russian humour !!] But maybe this website was designed along these lines??International arms deals are not brokerd along single weapons unless you are really small fry,and then you go to a supplier.Weaponary is dealt by the crate load.No one will take you seriously buying individual guns.The film Lord of War[which is apart from the arms fair in Berlin scenes]is very true to Orlovs life has a scene where they buy arms in Beruit by the kilo and ton.

She also said they were sent catalogs from companies that contained guns
    !!!
    Ohhh! I, and I think many of us here get those too.They brighten up my day alot.So does that make us arms dealers as well?????

CG has there been any low flying cargo planes seen over your house lately? Wont be long now till yiz clare boys declare independence;) :DQUOTE]

Every night @ appx 02:00!!!! Curses! our cunning plan has been rumbled!!!!:D :D:D

Advertisement