Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd v West Ham

• 29-03-2006 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if this is on TV?

If it's not on Sky etc does anyone know what pubs might show it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Not on Sky so I wouldn't say any pub will have it on, Sky have the only license to show the games live except for that part deal with RTE/Setanta.

Wait for highlights with nobody telling you the score. Just as enjoyable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I fancy the hammers for this for some deluded reason.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Some pub might be showing it on the foreign channels. I'm not sure though. You'd probably find it somewhere alright.

I actually have a bad feeling about it. West Ham are a good little side, hope Utd aren't complacent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Frazers on O' Connell Street are showing it

http://www.frazers-dublin.com/sport/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I think West Ham are looking more at the cup than the league.........they are safe for next season and they are on a pretty good cup run...

Having said that i hope Utd don't think all they have to do is turn up and they will get the points.........

IMO i would say this will be a cracking match, with Utd taking the 3pts, which will widen the gap to liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Just checked the times TV listings. It looks like Sky have a football special (manu v West ham) on at 10.15 after the CL coverage. Nice one, a night of football from 7:45 onwards.

As regards the game-
    I think it'll be a tough one for United tonight. West Ham are going well and had a good win at Wigan at the weekend. United are playing fairly well ATM too and theres talk of RVN coming back in. I think West Ham willl get a goal but i hope United can win it and increase their points tally to move away from liverpool and keep Chelsea on their toes.
    West Ham wont sit back as its not where their strength lies so i expect a decent game. Its a pity its not live on the box.

Bloody useless champions league clogging up the channels:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Live on Canal Sport Deporte/ART Sport 1 (if that's any good to ya)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think it's an impossible task for Man Utd and I fully expect at least a 3-0 victory for West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I think it's an impossible task for Man Utd and I fully expect at least a 3-0 victory for West Ham.

ROFL. I'll take a stab at 2-2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

3-1 to Man U, Ronaldo Double, RVN to nab other on his return.. Maybe Ashton to get consolation..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

3-0 United. Kind of hoping they dont do what they have done the last 2 games, score early and then take it easy for the rest of the game. While they have looked very good the last few weeks it's annoying as a fan watching them score early and expect them to go on and dominate and score several. Hopefully tonight will be the night they score a hat-full:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Hard one to call. On the one hand, you could say that West Ham would be more focused on the FA Cup. On the other hand though, you could say that they have more than achieved their goals this season, are in no danger and have no pressure on them to win. They can enjoy their football. And West Ham can really play when they are in full flow. So definately a toughie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Any streams for this? The one the Live streams thread doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Man Utd West Ham
    19 Edwin Van der Sar
    3 Patrice Evra
    5 Rio Ferdinand
    22 John O'Shea
    28 Gerard Pique
    15 Nemanja Vidic
    24 Darren Fletcher
    7 Cristiano Ronaldo
    13 Ji-Sung Park L
    8 Wayne Rooney
    10 Ruud van Nistelrooy

Odd lineup with possibly 3 centre backs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

19 Edwin Van der Sar
    3 Patrice Evra
    5 Rio Ferdinand
    22 John O'Shea
    28 Gerard Pique
    15 Nemanja Vidic
    24 Darren Fletcher
    7 Cristiano Ronaldo
    13 Ji-Sung Park L
    8 Wayne Rooney
    10 Ruud van Nistelrooy

Will line up like this:

VDS

Pique - Vidic - Ferdinand - Evra

Ronaldo - O'Shea - Fletcher - Park

Rooney - Van Nist

Or else, it could swap Pique and O'Shea, but I highly highly doubt that, although I'd enjoy it to see.
    Up front we should beat them quite well, this is a real test for Vidic and Evra, coming into for a big game.
    Ruud is back, but I'm not sure he'll be at his best, he has looked sluggish and his game is based on regular playing, so I'm not 100% sure, that said, he is Ruud, I expect him to score :)

I think we can win this, but I'm somewhat wary. That said, 18 out of 18, looking forward to watching this, although annoyed I'm gona miss Lyon vs. Milan, gona be an unreal match.
    I'm watching it on http://www.footballon.net/
    I recommend you get it, it rocks.

That is one funny looking team, should still win though.

It's not really that weird, only one player playing out of position, Pique, with O'Shea playing in a position he's played in quite a bit. With the exception of Neville, I think this is our best team.

PHB wrote:
    It's not really that weird, only one player playing out of position, Pique, with O'Shea playing in a position he's played in quite a bit. With the exception of Neville, I think this is our best team.
    What about Giggs though?
    Surely he should have played considering the form he's in!

Giggs isn't a CM, and despite his moments of magic, isn't a CM, and leaves the midfield weak imo. He actually played pretty poorly last weekend, despite the mega free kick and the one great run, which he made from the left wing.

Anyone got any commentary links for this game?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Was looking at the text commentary on bbc.co.uk/football but it hasnt been updated in last 10 mins

Match commentary on Newstalk 106

**** yeh, go ruud, great play from Park, great determination from Pique

Yeah come on Utd good to see RVN back and back on the score sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Delighted for RVN. Best striker at OT.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Deserved lead tbh. Fletcher and park are playing very well. Pique is putting in some lovely passes. Delighted to see RVN scoring. Rooney should have also been on the scoresheet, but theres still the second half to come.

From what i have seen of Pique he is a very good passer. Very comfortable on the ball. Not sure what position he will end up playing.

He is a CB by trade

Is definitely capable of a midfield role too.

• Advertisement

West ham have had 0 attempts in the second half, United have had 9, thats what I like to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I still reckon West Ham will nick it.

9 point gap, that's the ****ing spirit.

21 out of 21

Didnt see it but would have taken 1-0 before kick off.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

5 changes from sunday team with a couple of the young lads coming. 3 point

goods night's work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

I still reckon West Ham will nick it.
    reckon wrong 1-0 final score
    5 points clear in 2nd with a game in hand - keeps a little pressure on Chelski. First time in a long time West Ham have been kep scoreless. A commfortable 1-0.

• Advertisement

Overall I'm happy. A solid 1-0 win good all round performances. Ronaldo, Rooney, Park And RVN all played well. Good to see Pique step up and have a very solid game with Vidic and Park also putting in good performances. All in all the right result and good to move 5 points ahead of Liverpool with a game in hand. 7 wins on the spin now, could end up on 90 points and finish second:eek: that would have won seven of the last ten leagues. Though this season has been a let down somewhat I am certain that with the right signings during the summer and if we can start the season in this sort of form we can win the league next year(if we dont do it this year:rolleyes: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Im delighted with the win tonight.....as PHB said 9pts behind........shame its a bit too late........but happy with tonights result..and 5 pts clear of liverpool and still with a game in hand over them.............:D

As said above, a good nights work. 5 youngsters in the squad so it's a good return against a good West Ham side. I think that this great run of consistency has come too late but maybe there can be a minor miracle and we can catch chelski!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

If Chelsea were to have an off day, as they did against Fulham and United win at Stamford Bridge, I believe this can go to the wire. Hope springs eternal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

smashey wrote:
    If Chelsea were to have an off day, as they did against Fulham and United win at Stamford Bridge, I believe this can go to the wire. Hope springs eternal.

optimism,i like it;)

• Advertisement

county wrote:
    optimism,i like it;)
    I like it also. United are playing good football and have regained their confidence. They will go to Chelsea believing they can win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

GO ON utd. what is it now, 7 wins on the trot?

thats champions form. chelsea slip, and we're breathing down their necks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

This is a funny thread lol.
    Seriously though it could be close,dont like either team but a close finish would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

smashey wrote:
    I can't see it. United would have to win all their games which would mean finishing the season on a 14 game winning streak in the league. Highly unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Given form and fixtures left for both clubs, it is more realistic that Liverpool would catch United than United catch Chelsea.

That said, my money is it finishing as is.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I can't see it. United would have to win all their games which would mean finishing the season on a 14 game winning streak in the league. Highly unlikely.

As I said earlier, their confidence is back and I think this stems from the realisation that they had nothing to lose as far as the league was concerned. How many points were Arsenal in front by in 2003?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

smashey wrote:
    As I said earlier, their confidence is back and I think this stems from the realisation that they had nothing to lose as far as the league was concerned. How many points were Arsenal in front by in 2003?
    Two, not eight.

How much better was the United team of 2003? How much better is the Chelsea team of 2006 than the Arsenal team of 2003?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Two, not eight.

How much better was the United team of 2003? How much better is the Chelsea team of 2006 than the Arsenal team of 2003?

Actually I think it was about 5. United had a game in hand at one stage and for about a day it was 8 points at around this stage of the season. Hence all United fans claimed they'd hauled back an 8 point gap which was never really the case.

Indeed, but there is some hope.
    I think Chelsea will drop some points, but then again, they might win every game until the end of the season, but I don't think they will, teams are learning how to play against them.
    United will probably drop some points too, but if they don't, they could at least push Chelsea.

My realistic hope is that the title won't be decided before the final day of the season, even if it is decided in reality through goal difference. Just a little tester for next season.
    If we can get 90 points with the team we have currently, then if we can improve in midfield, we can challenge for the title

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Solid performance.

Good to see Pique playing well, Fletcher wasn't especially bad either. I would rather see Giggs in there though. Evra was probably the worst player on the utd side, though he looks good going forward. Vidic looked very good too, hopefully he can strike up a bit of a partnership with Rio.

As for catching Chelsea, I wouldn't think so. We have some tough games coming up against Bolton, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham. We will definitely drop points against someone there. Not forgetting Boro, who have a habit of raising their game against us.

• Advertisement
Advertisement