Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood takers

Options
  • 29-03-2006 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

This probably doesn't deserve a new thread but we don't have a whats on so here goes. Does anyone know when the blood bank people will be back? I wanted to give blood but had to wait for a few months after my operation. Will they be coming back and when?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

It'll probably be during the exams because they tend to leave just over 90 days between visits (so that they can get the same people to come again and again). The last one was here from the week of the 20th-24th Feb so I'd imagine it could be the last week of the exams if they're going to come back at all.

Of course, there are always the clinics on Westmoreland St and in Stillorgan if you really want to donate. www.ibts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

D'Olier Street*
    They're lovely people:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

It'll probably be during the exams because they tend to leave just over 90 days between visits (so that they can get the same people to come again and again). The last one was here from the week of the 20th-24th Feb so I'd imagine it could be the last week of the exams if they're going to come back at all.

Of course, there are always the clinics on Westmoreland St and in Stillorgan if you really want to donate. www.ibts.ie
    tbh I just want to get the donor card. I donated once but apparently you need to donate twice to get. Also my blood is aparently the stuff that they really need. I forget the type but anyone can use it.

Karoma wrote:
    D'Olier Street*
    They're lovely people:)
    My bad. I always have trouble distinguishing those two.

My bad. I always have trouble distinguishing those two.
    Aye. You're not the only one, which is why I corrected it.

• Advertisement

tbh I just want to get the donor card. I donated once but apparently you need to donate twice to get. Also my blood is aparently the stuff that they really need. I forget the type but anyone can use it.
    My donor card was put in the post before my second trip... Also, sounds like you have AB negative, the hyper-rarest one. Only 3% of the population are AB, and only 15% of the population are negative. Hence, less than .5% of the population are AB negative, so it's always in demand.

My donor card was put in the post before my second trip... Also, sounds like you have AB negative, the hyper-rarest one. Only 3% of the population are AB, and only 15% of the population are negative. Hence, less than .5% of the population are AB negative, so it's always in demand.
    I'm not sure about that, I think anyone can take my blood.

EDIT: That is not permission.

I believe that's why it's always in demand. ;)

Edit: Google confirms my childhood trivia knowledge that type O is the can that can be transfused to other blood types.

Why do you want the donor card?

Type O ?
    When did they tell you your type?

A person with type A blood can donate blood to a person with type A or type AB. A person with type B blood can donate blood to a person with type B or type AB. A person with type AB blood can donate blood to a person with type AB only. A person with type O blood can donate to anyone.

A person with type A blood can receive blood from a person with type A or type O. A person with type B blood can receive blood from a person with type B or type O. A person with type AB blood can receive blood from anyone. A person with type O blood can receive blood from a person with type O.
    There you go...

• Advertisement

Karoma wrote:
    Why do you want the donor card?

Type O ?
    I want it, just to have. (and so I look like a kind and generous person :D )

Thank stranger must be type O. They said that they always wanted that type of blood, but they won't pay:(

Karoma wrote:
    After my first donation (when I was told I'd get my card in the post in a few days) I phoned up to see if it had been sent or not. Seemingly it had been and never just made it home. They agreed (after checking my DOB and making sure that it was really me who was calling) to send me another, and confirmed over the phone I was AB positive, which is also on the card.

...They agreed (after checking my DOB and making sure that it was really me who was calling)...
    They really love asking one their name and DOB,don't they?

They only got a dribble of blood from me in the end...
    Apparently, it's not normal to feel anyway lightheaded when losing blood?

Karoma wrote:
    They really love asking one their name and DOB,don't they?:)
    Yes, yes they do... especially the first time, when you fill out the big card and they still insist on asking you every question on it verbally, again.

Twice.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I donated once in D'olier street. Do go there - they feed you well and they're really nice.

How long after you donate can you do so again - i donated some time in september.

Red Alert wrote:
    How long after you donate can you do so again - i donated some time in september.
    90 days.
    Longest I've gone between donations is 95! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I got mine in the post a few days after I donated for the first time. Ring them or call into one of the clinics.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

According to my friend they only give you the card after a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

I don't know if it's the standard but I got my card after my first donation. I'm A +, ain't that nice? Apparently my veins are super-nifty at emptying themselves out really quickly too.

I'd head in to D'Olier street too if I were you, they are lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I've absolutely no idea what blood type I am. I'd love to know.

I've actually never been able to give blood due to my tattoo addiction but I'm passed the time period of waiting since my last one so I may just have to donate.

My dad and my sister are AB negative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I cant give blood:( cos im english and have a history of anaemia(damn my height and gender)
    But if I could I would definatly give blood-its a really good way to help out!

Guess who phoned me this morning? The blood bank! What a coincidence. They wanted me to donate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

panda100 wrote:
    I cant give blood:( cos im english and have a history of anaemia(damn my height and gender)
    But if I could I would definatly give blood-its a really good way to help out!

The lads are in UCD today doing their siphoning exercise! (IBTS!)

Unfortuneatly I'm in the same situation - I'm from Fermanagh in N.Ireland so hence "unclean":eek: / may have risk of carrying CJD and all that sort of malarky. Pity, I'm type O as well......

neilled wrote:
    The lads are in UCD today doing their siphoning exercise! (IBTS!)
    Where were they? they weren't in their usual crypt (Astra Hall)

Just thought that I'd post two articles that are slightly relevent.
    1.The best reason to donate :D and
    2. Do animals need blood transfusions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Do I need to know my blood type before I donate?
    I presume mine is O but I'm not sure.

Nope you don't need to know they'll check that themselves and let you know, when they send out your donor card it'll be on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Do you feel all whoozy afterwards? Like could you study after doing it?
    I probably still have the yucky germs in my blood so it's probably not a good idea right now but I'd like to know for next time.

Pythia wrote:
    I probably still have the yucky germs in my blood so it's probably not a good idea right now but I'd like to know for next time.
    I felt fine, they give you sweets and stuff to build up your blood sugars, make sure you have lunch beforehand.

• Advertisement

Pythia wrote:

Ditto to Firespinner. You're not allowed to donate for something like a fortnight after the flu anyway, but it's not a bad experience really. There's someone beside you the whole time and it doesn't take long, you only feel the needle when they're inserting it first and it's not really that painful at all and afterwards as long as you sit down for a couple of minutes and have something from the free sugarfest you're grand! They give you iron tablets too if you need them. You'd be able to study no problem.

Advertisement