Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short Term Contract Opportunity for XHTML/CSS person

Options
  • 29-03-2006 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

The company I work for has a requirement for a good XHTML/CSS person until the end of June. They've already posted the job on Creative Ireland but I suggested they post it up here as well.

JOB SPEC -
    We are looking for a HTML wiz (no Dreamweaver jockeys - we need someone who regards such applications with disdain). You must be highly proficient in CSS, XHTML and JavaScript, with a thorough understanding of the rendering quirks of the current generation of web browsers. You will also need to be familiar with Flash ActionScripting including basic XML integration. You will not be a designer or a developer but will act as a liaison between the two and assist each team in realising their vision for our client's website. You should have a basic understanding of Adobe Photoshop. Copywriting skills though not essential, would be useful. The contract is until the end of June 2006 - preference will be given to those who can start sooner rather than later.

Not sure if I should be putting email addresses in posts (spammers, etc.), so PM me if you would like more information. I'll do my best to reply to them as quickly as possible.

Cheers.

R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

remoteboy wrote:
    JOB SPEC -
    We are looking for a HTML wiz (no Dreamweaver jockeys - we need someone who regards such applications with disdain).

i would think anyone who is a HTML'er and proficent with CSS would think of Dreamweaver as a tool that can help them do the job faster and more efficently.

Are you saying your company writes all it's code in notepad !!!???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Notepad, BBEdit, Homesite ... any text editor.

Personally, I've never found Dreamweaver to be faster or more efficient than coding by hand. It produces far too much unneccessary code, which increases loading and rendering time. I also don't think the ability to use Dreamweaver is an accurate indicator of anyone's understanding of HTML/CSS. But that's just me.

The job described above involves working on a number of client sites developed by hand with extensive use of style sheets. The requirement is for someone who can look at a page of markup and understand every line of it and how to edit it at short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

I have used Dreamweaver for a good while and I find the Site Management part of the application to be excellent. I know a lot of really good HTML / CSS people who use Dreamweaver to code. The only problem I have with it is the fact you can't use spaces when you tab.

To exclude people based on what application they use is a bit silly, their work should speak for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Serb, would be happy to debate the merits or otherwise of Dreamweaver in a separate thread, but this is a straightforward job offer. The job being advertised is for a person who can code by hand. The successful applicant will not have Dreamweaver available to them therefore they need to be able to work without it. If they feel they can do so, I welcome their application.

Advertisement