Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easter Sunday/ 2006

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

We might have had another Famine.

Thanks to immigration the threat of famine has receeded forever.
    There is at least one Chinese restaurant in every town and village in the country. Indian restaurants abound as do Italian chippers, Greek Kebab shops and Japanese Sushi Bars. They may come over her taking our jobs and women but at least they have the decency to feed us.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭New_Departure06

Hagar wrote:
    Thanks to immigration the threat of famine has receeded forever.
    There is at least one Chinese restaurant in every town and village in the country. Indian restaurants abound as do Italian chippers, Greek Kebab shops and Japanese Sushi Bars. They may come over her taking our jobs and women but at least they have the decency to feed us.;)

Greeks are okay because income differences are too small to get loads of them coming here. On Chinese restaurants, I'll pass after seeing "squid" on the menu...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭egon spengler

bleh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

Egon - I think yes the government are doing this at least partly for votes and also to take away from Sinn Fein. Neither of those 2 reasons will put me off attending though.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭egon spengler

ChityWest wrote:
    Egon - I think yes the government are doing this at least partly for votes and also to take away from Sinn Fein. Neither of those 2 reasons will put me off attending though.

yes, Im not against the parade, ill refine what ive said, its probably not going to be jingoistic but the potential for it is always there in military displays. As in Soviet Russia for example. The only thing Im skeptical of is the aestheticization of military might, or violence. I can understand the presence of such a display given that the uprising entailed violence, guns etc., but still there is a sense of unease but from a purely theoretical standpoint, obviously its not going to result in a military junta.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

obviously its not going to result in a military junta.

(Fingers crossed ! - hehe: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

hmmm lot of conservative solemn league and covenant ppl here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Sand wrote:
    No, cant really see myself being drawn to some celebration of violence and murder over constitutional politics tbh.

Just wondering do you think war is ever justified and if so when?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

why don't we have any big tanks.......i really want a big tank to come trundling down O'Connell St.....like a big f*** off challenger or summat, and a battleship to start firing off rounds into the sea while some Apaches and Eurofighters circle around the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭blueshirt

Just watching the “military” parade on TV. Our “air force” looks like something out of a Peter Sellers movie. This is embarrassing.

• Advertisement

Babybing wrote:
    Don’t worry about it, our defence forces never fought in a war and never will. When Hitler was hell bent on destroying the civilised world the Irishmen who wanted to help defeat him had to join the British forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

blueshirt wrote:
    Just watching the “military” parade on TV. Our “air force” looks like something out of a Peter Sellers movie. This is embarrassing.

unless they have some secret stuff they don't want anyone to know about then I'd be inclined to agree, though AFAIK the air corp is more of support/supply force than an active fighting company. I guess they feel that putting the capital defence budget into buying boats and army stuff is more prudent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

blueshirt wrote:
    Don’t worry about it, our defence forces never fought in a war and never will. When Hitler was hell bent on destroying the civilised world the Irishmen who wanted to help defeat him had to join the British forces.
    And many of them did. At least 50,000 from the South alone.

I'm more proud of them, and the many who volunteered in the First World War, than the lunatics of 1916.

I enjoyed the Parade.

It's probably worth noteing that the Medals worn by Irish Soldiers were either long service medals or medals won for service in Peace keeping operations. None for killing enemies in war. Possibly one of the few true "Defence Forces" remaining. I for one am proud of them.

Hagar wrote:
    I enjoyed the Parade.

It's probably worth noteing that the Medals worn by Irish Soldiers were either long service medals or medals won for service in Peace keeping operations. None for killing enemies in war. Possibly one of the few true "Defence Forces" remaining. I for one am proud of them.
    They are a joke, when they went to ambush the border fox, a common criminal they shot the wrong man.

nurse_baz wrote:
    unless they have some secret stuff they don't want anyone to know about then I'd be inclined to agree, though AFAIK the air corp is more of support/supply force than an active fighting company. I guess they feel that putting the capital defence budget into buying boats and army stuff is more prudent
    actually we dont need an air force, if anything nasty happens the RAF is only 10 minutes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

blueshirt wrote:
    They are a joke, when they went to ambush the border fox, a common criminal they shot the wrong man.

Well I tend to disagree with you. The Irish Army have served with distinction abroad. You should read "In the Service of Peace: Memories of the Lebanon" to get an idea of what the defence forces went through and their achievements.

As for the parade I think it went well bar the Air Corp fly by which I agree was embarrassing, all they needed were bi-planes to complete the look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

blueshirt wrote:

Point Of Information
    No - you ignore our co-operation with the allies?

Some did support the Nazis.
    Sinn Fein held a rally in Dublin at the statue to honour the IRA man, Sean Russell, a collaborator who died on board a U-boat as he travelled to Ireland to foment a pro-Nazi rising in 1941.

The statue was erected by the IRA in the Fifties. It is a measure of how little this wretched peace process has affected the presiding ethos of Sinn Fein-IRA that they arranged a rally at the statue, to pay homage to a quisling who would be reviled anywhere else Europe. Naturally, the leaders of the republican movement managed to fit this bit of Nazi-reverence in between trips to No 10. So who precisely is showing true disregard for the realities of the Third Reich: a youngster at a party, or a government which eagerly does business with those who honour a Nazi puppet?

There are real Nazi lovers here: the IRA
    By Kevin Myers

De Valera interned hundreds of IRA men during the war. He kept this country on a democratic path standing up to both rge IRA % blueshirts.

Comment
    The Perade was both dignified and respectful and played homage to the role played by our army in Peace Keeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Yes, I do think war can be justifiable. To save time, I dont think a war because you simply dont like voting is justifiable.
    actually we dont need an air force, if anything nasty happens the RAF is only 10 minutes away.

That generally has been the Irish defence plan since the foundation of the state: In case of invasion, call the British. This has contributed to both the chronic underfunding of the Irish defence forces, and the smug neutrality that informs much of Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

blueshirt wrote:

Actually what happened was that the Border Fox rarely drove, and the informant who told the Army where he was going to be was supposed to be driving the car. On this occasion Dessie O'hare decided to drive, and the chap in the passenger seat was pretty much perforated, shot something like 51 times, as the Army were (going on the info they had) expecting the passenger to be the Fox.

The Border fox himself was shot, once in the arm, and if the story I was once told is true, told the army when he was being extracted from the Car to be gentle with him, as he could not stand pain.

• Advertisement

Sand wrote:
    Yes, I do think war can be justifiable. To save time, I dont think a war because you simply dont like voting is justifiable.

That generally has been the Irish defence plan since the foundation of the state: In case of invasion, call the British. This has contributed to both the chronic underfunding of the Irish defence forces, and the smug neutrality that informs much of Irish politics.
    My thoughts exactly, it’s very easy to be sanctimoniously neutral when we know that the British are there to protect us.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Diorraing

An unbelievable day. It was great to see the army in action. Tens of thousands turned out. All those critics who said no-one would turn out have been forced to eat their words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

blueshirt wrote:

If yu know anything about that incident, you will know that that was down to bad Garda intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yes it was a great day to see the commemoration of the sacrifice by our heroes who lit the beacon of freedom against repression which led to our hard-earned independence in an oppressive imperialist world.
    It was a glorious day to fly and honour our flag and be proud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Diorraing wrote:
    An unbelievable day. It was great to see the army in action. Tens of thousands turned out. All those critics who said no-one would turn out have been forced to eat their words.

very few critics said noone would turn out, they just said it was a craven vote getting exercise for FF

gurramok wrote:
    Yes it was a great day to see the commemoration of the sacrifice by our heroes who lit the beacon of freedom against repression which led to our hard-earned independence in an oppressive imperialist world.
    It was a glorious day to fly and honour our flag and be proud!
    Pity about the joke aircraft though, I do hope they wont show that an international TV. But knowing the British they will probably zero in on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

blueshirt wrote:

While the real patriots ensured our countries continued independance was secured by defending our newly gained neutrality and refusing to tow the line to an empire that had attempted to destroy this nation through military and economic warfare. I'm proud of our stand in World War 2, we did what was right to protect our nations future.

Incidentally, did anyone see ruth dudley edwards on sky news, pontificating about the same World War 2 chestnut? She failed to recognise that bertie ahern was visitng Kilmainham Gaol and not the GPO on the Sky news feed. Says it all really lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

blueshirt wrote:
    But knowing the British they will probably zero in on it.
    Huh? Why would they give a sh*t?
    What a ridiculous statement...

I predict a short lifespan on Boards.ie for our newest troll "blueshirt".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I think todays perade drove home that there is only one Oglaigh na Eireann and it is not the Provos.

The Irish Army have a proud and distinguished record.

I hope the provos and their supporters finally get the message.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement