Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easter Sunday/ 2006

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sinn Fein held a rally in Dublin at the statue to honour the IRA man, Sean Russell, a collaborator who died on board a U-boat as he travelled to Ireland to foment a pro-Nazi rising in 1941.

Sean Russell went to Russia as well trying to raise arms, does that make him a commie as well as a nazi? :rolleyes: I think he was in the US too, which might mean he was a capitialist too lol

He also fought in 1916 so that army parade today was commerating him along with all the other volunteers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭blueshirt

Bambi wrote:
    While the real patriots ensured our countries continued independance was secured by defending our newly gained neutrality and refusing to tow the line to an empire that had attempted to destroy this nation through military and economic warfare. I'm proud of our stand in World War 2, we did what was right to protect our nations future.

Incidentally, did anyone see ruth dudley edwards on sky news, pontificating about the same World War 2 chestnut? She failed to recognise that bertie ahern was visitng Kilmainham Gaol and not the GPO on the Sky news feed. Says it all really lol
    So you think it was very noble of us to stay on the sidelines while the rest of Europe was confronting the greatest evil that the world ever knew? And thanks to that ego manic De Velera, we never received any marshal aid money, we were left on the peripheries of Europe until the 1970’s and what was left of our population had to put up with poverty and church oppression. Yah, great move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Again - we co-operated with the allies during WW2.

Devalera had enough on his plate with the likes of the Blueshirts & the IRA.

I think he did well.
    The Irish government has called on Sinn Fein to end its misuse of the title, Oglaigh na h-Eireann, after party teeshirts with the name were worn by some of the thugs who took part in the Love Ulster riots in the centre of Dublin.

I hope the Shinners get the message after today. There is only one Oglaigh na h-Eireann - and it is not their private "army".

Hagar wrote:
    I predict a short lifespan on Boards.ie for our newest troll "blueshirt".
    don't fret, i'll be around for a while. I can see i am needed to make sure that the truth is told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

I hope the Shinners get the message after today. There is only one Oglaigh na h-Eireann - and it is not their private "army".
    would this be the same Oglaigh na h-Eireann that didnt stand idly by under lynch?
    The Irish Army have a proud and distinguished record.
    Ballyseedy? Thats one...there's a ****load more

• Advertisement

Cork wrote:
    Again - we co-operated with the allies during WW2.

I think he did well.

yah, he did well, for himself and his red neck FF friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

So you think it was very noble of us to stay on the sidelines while the rest of Europe was confronting the greatest evil that the world ever knew?
    The "Blueshirts" (your sig) :confused: where on standby to facilaite this evil?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

blueshirt wrote:
    So you think it was very noble of us to stay on the sidelines while the rest of Europe was confronting the greatest evil that the world ever knew? And thanks to that ego manic De Velera, we never received any marshal aid money, we were left on the peripheries of Europe until the 1970’s and what was left of our population had to put up with poverty and church oppression. Yah, great move.

lol at the greatest evil the world ever knew. Are you referring to uncle joe's stalins evil empire? hang on he was a good guy, or maybe those dastardly brits who were coming up with stuff like concentration camps, theories of racial supremecy, arial bombardment of civilians and collective punishment when adolf was still a private in the german army? Oh wait they were good guys too. Werent they?
    blueshirt wrote:
    And thanks to that ego manic De Velera, we never received any marshal aid money, we were left on the peripheries of Europe until the 1970’s and what was left of our population had to put up with poverty and church oppression. Yah, great move

Ah yes, More what iffery and speculative history from the Indo reading wing, Y'know the marshall plan was for countries that had been flattened and lost sizeable chunks of their population during the war. This didnt happen to us. I think thats a good thing

btw last time I checked we were still on the periphery of europe. i doubt any marshall plan money could have hauled this island up the rhine :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

I thought the parade went quite well - watched it from Dame st - then shot up to beside the Rotunda as the GPO area was 'bampa-ta-bamper'.

The Rangers looked well cool - the only time at either place (dame st or Rotunda) that I saw the crowd stop applauding any of the units going past was when mary harney drove away a bit early (probably to a mcdonalds) and people started cursing etc.

There were also a couple of bright orange suited people led away at dame st by the cops - looked like guantanomo protesters but they didnt cause much of an upset though. Having said that - yes the flybys could have been a lot better - god knows how much it would cost to have more impressive flybys though. I have just seen a video of the RTE footage from the GPO and the reading of the proclamation at the GPO was (imo) very dignified and moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

ChityWest wrote:
    I thought the parade went quite well - watched it from Dame st - then shot up to beside the Rotunda as the GPO area was 'bampa-ta-bamper'.

The Rangers looked well cool - the only time at either place (dame st or Rotunda) that I saw the crowd stop applauding any of the units going past was when mary harney drove away a bit early (probably to a mcdonalds) and people started cursing etc.

There were also a couple of bright orange suited people led away at dame st by the cops - looked like guantanomo protesters but they didnt cause much of an upset though. Having said that - yes the flybys could have been a lot better - god knows how much it would cost to have more impressive flybys though. I have just seen a video of the RTE footage from the GPO and the reading of the proclamation at the GPO was (imo) very dignified and moving.

I was on O'Connell Street and i thought the flypasts were excellent(they looked like they were gona hit the Spire from my vantage point!). I seen the two protestors on Abbey Street,protesting about Iraq.

A very professional occasion, enjoyed by all that went i think(nice weather too!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭New_Departure06

I liked the parade. It was justified to reclaim Republicanism from the Provos and dissidents. The latter violated the 1916 Proclamation through "inhumanity and rapine" which the document explicitly forbids.

I will say though that on the wider issue of the army, that successive governments should be ashamed of how they have endlessly downsized the force. They have starved it of resources. The sad reality is that we are not in a position to militarily defend our neutrality against invaders. Yes an invasion is unlikely but they probably thought than in 1169 too.

Hopefully, today will give an opportunity for our politicians of all hues to realise this. Yes we are a small neutral country but so are Switzerland, Sweden and Austria and their armed forces have the most modern equipment and a respectable size. Whereas ours has been slashed from 40,000 to 9,000 over the last 40 years. Time for a rethink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Excellent parade today, I was on O Connell street. The the reading of the proclomation was very good. Excellent day, cant wait til next years parade.

Flex wrote:
    Excellent parade today, I was on O Connell street. The the reading of the proclomation was very good. Excellent day, cant wait til next years parade.

You should savour it before the Rainbow dogooders scrap it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

I liked the parade. It was justified to reclaim Republicanism from the Provos and dissidents.

Just as an aside - Its funny you should say that because there were some sinn Feiners handing out expensive looking colour brochures which were of a higher standard than the ones the army people were giving away. i.e. heavier paper - more pages etc.

You should savour it before the Rainbow dogooders scrap it.

Yea, shame on us for celebrating resisting oppression and fighting, rather than using flower-power and other psychedelic methods :rolleyes:

Next time they should use reserves for a march of 10,000 men and women.

blueshirt wrote:
    My thoughts exactly, it’s very easy to be sanctimoniously neutral when we know that the British are there to protect us.

Yeah, thats right. We never had to worry about the British invading us during WW2 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I think its good the defence forces get to promote themselves, and that we commemorate our history. But I wish it wasn't a FF vote grabbing exercise as this was.

Next time they should use reserves for a march of 10,000 men and women.

I wouldn't like that, it would take too long...today's parade didn't drag in, it was just the right amount of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

when wer ethe executions exactly, about month afer the 24th of apriil 1916?

is another small rememberance around that time?

• Advertisement

when wer ethe executions exactly, about month afer the 24th of apriil 1916?

is another small rememberance around that time?

3rd of May (without checking)...Fianna Fail annually commemorate this event at Arbour Hill.

dathi1 wrote:
    would this be the same Oglaigh na h-Eireann that didnt stand idly by under lynch?

There is but one Oglaigh na h-Eireann.

I don't think our army were ever idle.

They spent years on border duty protecting us from IRA carnage and criminality.

I think they deserve much credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

blueshirt wrote:
    Don’t worry about it, our defence forces never fought in a war and never will. When Hitler was hell bent on destroying the civilised world the Irishmen who wanted to help defeat him had to join the British forces.
    Well theres a problem there. There was fighting, especially in the Congo, but also during many other UN missions. But you forget the lineage of the DF back through the Civil War, War of Independence and back to 1916.
    blueshirt wrote:
    we never received any marshal aid money
    Actually we did. $133m - the equivalent of 10 tiems that in todays money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Plan
    http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/marshallhs/aboutgcm/whattheysaid.htm
    http://www.marshallfilms.org/filminfo.asp?id=MPWI-1
    http://www.four-courts-press.ie/cgi/bookshow.cgi?file=marshallw.xml
    Cork wrote:
    Blueshirts in the 1940s? References?

I would also like more rebel songs to be played next time. I caught "Wrap the Green Flag round me" but couldn't recognise the others. Perhaps the centenary should include a pikeman parade too to commemorate 1798.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭TapouT

The sad reality is that we are not in a position to militarily defend our neutrality against invaders.

While we have a history of being neutral, we're not actually a neutral country. I hear alot of people say that our neutrality is "enshrined in the constitution", when infact neutrality is not mentioned once in our constitution.

About the parade. A grand spectical and got our military the recognoition it rightly deserves, even for just one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Even the BBC recognises the inspiration that the Rising gave for Irelands independance.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4907566.stm

This quote really is quite revealing as an example of the times
    BBC wrote:
    The scale of destruction in the burning ruins of Dublin showed he had underestimated his enemy.

But you can't judge the past by the standards of the present. The British Army shot more than 300 of its own soldiers for cowardice and desertion during World War I.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

In general the BBC has some pretty good stuff on their site re: Irish independence and also the north. Resonably balanced view points.

It was dignified and a fitting tribute to the men and weman of 1916.

I think it should be an annual event.

It was like the National Day of Remembrace. Respectful & well organised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Flex wrote:
    Yeah, thats right. We never had to worry about the British invading us during WW2 :rolleyes:
    And you know the real reason they didn't, don't you?
    Partition.

Marvellous thing, the Government of Ireland Act!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Personally

I think the best thing about the parade was being reminded of exactly where the DF have served overseas as part of UN missions. To me that is something to be proud of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement