Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB-platinum card

Options
  • 29-03-2006 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

Hi guys i am looking to get the new john rocha designed platinum card.i have the form filled out and i have ordered the 6 months bank statements and i will send me photo id. i already havee a visa with aib but i have written on the form that if i get this platinum card that i want my visa cancelled.

the main question is does anyone have this card?Is it easy to get and also they ask for min 50000 income will they check it out.And how can they check this.
    i have 2 accounts so would i have to send the 2 accounts 6 months statement or just the one.the one i am going to send is where my mortgage goes through.so they can see i pay over 24000 on mortgage.

i really want this so i will go to every possible route to get it.
    http://www.aib.ie/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=AIB_PersonalPortal%2FAIB_Services%2Faib_d_service&c=AIB_Services&cid=1112888422127&channel=YM

Also final question is does anyone work in AIB credit card dept that wants to process this for me.:D

Thanks in advance

PLEASE DONOT THREAD SPOIL AND JUST POST A COMMENT TO THE POINT.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

drdre - in a previous post regarding buying golden numbers you said you were a student so you may have difficulties.

They do check the income just like they did for the gold card in the early days.

I don't see why you'll go "every possible route" to get it. At the end of the day its a card with a small cashback and that's more or less it. Its quite an ugly design and I've been asked a few times "what bank is it" because it only has the visa logo on the front...

I don't know what your future business is going to be but maybe concentrate on building that and worrying about the glitzy trappings later on when you've built up your solid credit record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

parsi wrote:
    drdre - in a previous post regarding buying golden numbers you said you were a student so you may have difficulties.

They do check the income just like they did for the gold card in the early days.

I don't see why you'll go "every possible route" to get it. At the end of the day its a card with a small cashback and that's more or less it. Its quite an ugly design and I've been asked a few times "what bank is it" because it only has the visa logo on the front...

I don't know what your future business is going to be but maybe concentrate on building that and worrying about the glitzy trappings later on when you've built up your solid credit record.

I am a student but have a business aswell as its family business so i have statments under my name.i had a credit card when i was 18 under my own name and actually not one but 3.so they should be easy to get.im applying next week so hope have a reply back in 4 weeks as if i got it or not.but hopefully i do as i just love the look of it.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 yves

I would think that they would be expecting to see your salary paid into your account and this would show up on your statement. €2,000 per month = 24,000 per annum on your mortgage would surely mean that you earn more than 50k ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

when I upgraded from aib standard visa to gold I just called up and they did everything over the phone... they based the application on the credit limit of the exisiting card... (think it had to be 7k to upgrade)

A NEW 'designer' credit card from Allied Irish Banks gives users 0.5pc cashback
    when they spend more than 5,000 a year on their cards.

The AIB Platinum Card - open to those with 50,000 in annual income - is the
    first rewards card from an Irish issuer. It rebates 0.5pc of card expenditure
    between 5k and 50k directly into a customer's bank account. Platinum
    cardholders get a minimum spending limit of 15k, with no set maximum.

The John Rocha-designed card is the lowest rate platinum card, at 10.5pc
    variable.

Reward schemes have been used overseas since the early nineties, but largely
    discontinued in recent years in the US, for example.

Michael Grace, business development manager for AIB cards, said: "It (the
    awards concept) hasn't been tested here."

AIB will consider rescinding the offer in 12 months if it does not win between
    5,000 and 10,000 new customers because of it.

Another selling point for the AIB platinum card is that clothes designer John
    Rocha designed it.

Besides three grey daubs - meant to evoke the designer's signature motifs in
    his collection for Waterford glass - the card looks like any other platinum
    Visa card.

However, Mr Grace said customers in focus groups said they found the idea of a
    designer card appealing and the branch staff who will be selling it welcome it
    as "something different".

- will you spending 5K a year or do you want it for a pose ? I prefer having a bog standard card so as not to attract attention !

• Advertisement

yves wrote:
    A NEW 'designer' credit card from Allied Irish Banks gives users 0.5pc cashback
    when they spend more than 5,000 a year on their cards.

The AIB Platinum Card - open to those with 50,000 in annual income - is the
    first rewards card from an Irish issuer. It rebates 0.5pc of card expenditure
    between 5k and 50k directly into a customer's bank account. Platinum
    cardholders get a minimum spending limit of 15k, with no set maximum.

The John Rocha-designed card is the lowest rate platinum card, at 10.5pc
    variable.

Reward schemes have been used overseas since the early nineties, but largely
    discontinued in recent years in the US, for example.

Michael Grace, business development manager for AIB cards, said: "It (the
    awards concept) hasn't been tested here."

AIB will consider rescinding the offer in 12 months if it does not win between
    5,000 and 10,000 new customers because of it.

Another selling point for the AIB platinum card is that clothes designer John
    Rocha designed it.

Besides three grey daubs - meant to evoke the designer's signature motifs in
    his collection for Waterford glass - the card looks like any other platinum
    Visa card.

However, Mr Grace said customers in focus groups said they found the idea of a
    designer card appealing and the branch staff who will be selling it welcome it
    as "something different".

- will you spending 5K a year or do you want it for a pose ? I prefer having a bog standard card so as not to attract attention !

It is not for pose.i have a aib credit limit for 4800 at the moment.i have decided i am going to send my personal account statements and also my mortage account statments as the more i will send the more they have to choose from.i have been with aib for 3/4 yrs now.and also i spent over 20k on my aib credit card as i buy on the card and pay it back in 56days.

anyway i will ring them in the morning and try it over the phone and if they say no then i still have the 2nd option which is to send in the application form and statments.

thanks guys for you help.

How things have changed.

When I first started work I applied for my card and it had a limit of £500 and any transgression of the limit resulted in a phone call. If you wanted an increase you had to beg for it.

Then after a few years there was a general loosening of standards and going over the limit became acceptable and if you ever paid it all in one go you got an automatic increase in your limit. Upgrading to Gold still took a bit of mumblin and muttering on their side but when it came to upgrade to the Designer (!!) card (with its three daubs..) it was done immediately.

No wonder we have debt issues in the country ;-)

(anyway there's no designer card when you're buying online)

parsi wrote:
    How things have changed.

When I first started work I applied for my card and it had a limit of £500 and any transgression of the limit resulted in a phone call. If you wanted an increase you had to beg for it.

Then after a few years there was a general loosening of standards and going over the limit became acceptable and if you ever paid it all in one go you got an automatic increase in your limit. Upgrading to Gold still took a bit of mumblin and muttering on their side but when it came to upgrade to the Designer (!!) card (with its three daubs..) it was done immediately.

No wonder we have debt issues in the country ;-)

(anyway there's no designer card when you're buying online)

Now you just ring and they will increase it 1000 yoyos.:D .i donot mainly use it for myself i use it on behalf of my dad and company etc and he pays me the money for it so i can pay it back. so thats why i want 1 high limit card like the rocha one and cancel the other 3 i have.so its easier to manage.

anyway thanks for your help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

My first card as a student had a limit of 270 euro I think..

My first card as a student had a limit of 270 euro I think..

yeah student cards always have a low credit limit.thats why you donot tell them you are a student;)

• Advertisement

the 1st step was today i rang up aib and said i need a limit increase so now its 5600, so thats an increase of 800 yoyos in 1sec and then they put me through to sales for the rocha card andthe girl said everyone is busy and that i will get a call back so i am still wating but i am going to apply on monday if i donot get a call back as they usually say yes or no on the phone.so hopefully will have an answer by late next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Jasus... I have to keep ringing my CC issuer to get them to keep lowering the credit limit... It was €24,000 at Christmas... way too easy to spend money that's not mine...

iMax wrote:
    Jasus... I have to keep ringing my CC issuer to get them to keep lowering the credit limit... It was €24,000 at Christmas... way too easy to spend money that's not mine...

wow 24,000.what card do you have and what bank.that is way too much as then you just spend loads and its hard to pay back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

I cannot second this statement. Somebody who cannot control his/her spending shouldn't have a credit card in the first place. Really common sense, isn't it!
    drdre wrote:
    wow 24,000.what card do you have and what bank.that is way too much as then you just spend loads and its hard to pay back

qwertz wrote:
    I cannot second this statement. Somebody who cannot control his/her spending shouldn't have a credit card in the first place. Really common sense, isn't it!

yeah 24k is way too much. but it is good just incase you need it.:D

So you're a student. And you have a mortgage. And you want a card that will let you run up a barrell load of debt. Hmm....

parsi wrote:
    So you're a student. And you have a mortgage. And you want a card that will let you run up a barrell load of debt. Hmm....
    i wonot run up a barrell load as i pay off 100% every month ad i have a 3/4 time job(thats between part time and full time:D ).

i have no problem in paying it off.donot worry.i also use it manily for the family business and my dad gives me the cash so that also increases credability.

I have 3cards with total credit of just under 45000 - one is the wifes. I paid my stamp duty of 18000 on my credit card as I couldnt get the necessary funds together as my house sale fell through. I then transferred money around the place continually paying off the loan - 2 of the accounts are MBNA. I paid a total of about 26 euro in interest which was worth its weight in gold. Apart from this time I have paid every credit card off on time. If you cant pay off your card your are overspending. If you wanna spend spend, get an overdraft NEVER NEVER have credit card debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I find it better to use that the Gold Card. The gold card stands out when you go to use it in a shop. The rocha card looks like one of the ordinary silver cards and does not attract attention. The Magnetic strip on the back is the same colour as the card and this caused confusion in shops.

Handy for the holidays as it saves carrying large ammounts of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

AIB's top of the range credit card, the AIB World Signia Mastercard makes all others pale in comparison. It is an invitation only credit card with full conceirge service. The minimum (and yes that's *minimum*) credit limit you can have is 40,000 euro per month. You must be earning at least 250,000 euro per year and have at least 500,000 euro in cash savings in the bank, owning a house etc. will not suffice, must be pure cash. About 2000 people in Ireland have them but since very few people know what they are, they assume they are just another ordinary credit card!! Also, your signature is engraved onto the card itself as each card is made to order, it's very impressive indeed!

• Advertisement

Damn nice card alright. I like they way they replaced mine when the maid washed my worsted pants without removing my wallet. Despite being gently handwashed with the finiest saop flakes the card was unusable (though the crud that comes on themagnetic strip was gone).

Ah well it shan't happen again or so Jeeves assures me.

douglasman wrote:
    AIB's top of the range credit card, the AIB World Signia Mastercard makes all others pale in comparison. It is an invitation only credit card with full conceirge service. The minimum (and yes that's *minimum*) credit limit you can have is 40,000 euro per month. You must be earning at least 250,000 euro per year and have at least 500,000 euro in cash savings in the bank, owning a house etc. will not suffice, must be pure cash. About 2000 people in Ireland have them but since very few people know what they are, they assume they are just another ordinary credit card!! Also, your signature is engraved onto the card itself as each card is made to order, it's very impressive indeed!

WOW never heard of this before.:eek:

yves wrote:
    I have 3cards with total credit of just under 45000 - one is the wifes. I paid my stamp duty of 18000 on my credit card as I couldnt get the necessary funds together as my house sale fell through. I then transferred money around the place continually paying off the loan - 2 of the accounts are MBNA. I paid a total of about 26 euro in interest which was worth its weight in gold. Apart from this time I have paid every credit card off on time. If you cant pay off your card your are overspending. If you wanna spend spend, get an overdraft NEVER NEVER have credit card debt.

thats exactly how i use my 3 cards at the moment but my limit is only 14000 on them as i only have them 2 yrs.i use them and then pay them back within the 56days so i donot pay interested.its the best way as you donot need to carry around cash.;) .

Well DrDre how did you get on in your quest for Platinum ?

parsi wrote:
    Well DrDre how did you get on in your quest for Platinum ?

i applied to aib, but they sent back that im accepted if i send my bank statments in.i sent them in but i only sent in 1 bank account statment i should have sent the both and they declined it.

i will apply again after my exams in may and i will send all details together so they donot need to ask me any questions:D

it was my stupid mistake

Keep us posted !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

drdre wrote:
    Hi guys i am looking to get the new john rocha designed platinum card.i have the form filled out and i have ordered the 6 months bank statements and i will send me photo id. i already havee a visa with aib but i have written on the form that if i get this platinum card that i want my visa cancelled.

the main question is does anyone have this card?Is it easy to get and also they ask for min 50000 income will they check it out.And how can they check this.
    i have 2 accounts so would i have to send the 2 accounts 6 months statement or just the one.the one i am going to send is where my mortgage goes through.so they can see i pay over 24000 on mortgage.

i really want this so i will go to every possible route to get it.
    http://www.aib.ie/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=AIB_PersonalPortal%2FAIB_Services%2Faib_d_service&c=AIB_Services&cid=1112888422127&channel=YM

Also final question is does anyone work in AIB credit card dept that wants to process this for me.:D

Thanks in advance

PLEASE DONOT THREAD SPOIL AND JUST POST A COMMENT TO THE POINT.

I got one bout a mth ago...mainly cos I had a pain in me rocks with MBNA cos they screwed me over on "admin" fees when I paid for some foreign currency last year. I already banked with AIB so it was fairly handy, all sorted out over the phone and my card a week later.They dont put too much effort into checking your salary anyway...if you tell them 50K they'll more than likely approve...unless they see 20e only in your bank account ;)

Sizzler wrote:
    I got one bout a mth ago...mainly cos I had a pain in me rocks with MBNA cos they screwed me over on "admin" fees when I paid for some foreign currency last year. I already banked with AIB so it was fairly handy, all sorted out over the phone and my card a week later.They dont put too much effort into checking your salary anyway...if you tell them 50K they'll more than likely approve...unless they see 20e only in your bank account ;)

sizzler i ahve been with aib for over 3 years.but i told them im earning 56k. and i have a mortage ac with ptsb.anyway i did talk to them over the phone and they said ok but then they said they will do a credit cheque and they didnot even call me they just sent me a letter saying no.i am going to call them again and see what they say ori will just say closemy existing card account as i will no longer use them.:D

Just to let you know i got the MBNA platinum card.and i was onto aib and they said i should be able to get the rocha card in the summer as by then i will have enough credablity.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Can somebody tell me the attraction of this card?
    I heard the ad on the radio and was going to apply when I discovered the "cashback" but then decided not to when I saw the conditions.
    (A) You must spend over 5,000 a month to get any "cashback" and that only applies from the 5k over.
    (B) Applies for the first 12 months only.
    So apart from having a CC designed by John Rocca (no big deal),
    what is the attraction?
    Isn't there a card that gives 1% cashback all the time?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement