Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Home Owner

Options
  • 29-03-2006 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I've a quick question regarding registering yourself as a landlord. I have just bought a 3 bed semi. A family member is also on the deeds etc but won't be living there.
    The plan is for me to live in 1 room and rent out the other 2 to my buddies. Now one of the lads has just asked me am i gonna register myself as a landlord so he can claim tax back. What do I have to do to register myself? Does it cost much? What happens if I don't register myself? etc....

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

The quick answer is you don't need to register so your friend can claim tax back.
    As you are owner occupier you can earn rent tax free of your property up to €6k I think (rent a room scheme). I guess it would be more complex with another owner and they would have to pay tax on income they get. You really need proper finacial advise as the oasis site is not full inclusive and only a guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jondom

Thats exactly what I needed. Thanks Andrew!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jondom

...and thanks morningstar. Ya my ownership situation is quite complex so it might be worth getting professional advice. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

As MorningStar said you will be able to claim tax relief under the rent a room scheme so your share of the rent. The other individual who is on the deeds will be liable for tax on his share of the rent but they can offset various expenses against it. For example the interest paid on the mortgage, well 50% of the interest because you will have paid the other 50%. You can find details relating to this on revenue.ie.

In you have any questions feel free to pm me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

The quick answer is you don't need to register so your friend can claim tax back.
    As you are owner occupier you can earn rent tax free of your property up to €6k I think (rent a room scheme). I guess it would be more complex with another owner and they would have to pay tax on income they get. You really need proper finacial advise as the oasis site is not full inclusive and only a guide.

Yeah that's right. The figure you can earn from the scheme is €7,618 per annum tax free

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would suggest you do get advice on this or alternatively have the relative live with you. ;)

Advertisement