Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Book / Trade value of 02 Mondeo 1.8lx

Options
  • 29-03-2006 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone give me an indication of what an 02 mondeo 1.8lx is worth when trading in. Its in very good condition, 49k miles with service history, champagne gold metallic.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Any takers?

Also, note the milage is 53k miles, not what was stated in the earlier post.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'll get you a book value tomorrow, but LX models never make anywhere near the book price

Thank you Colm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

worth 11 grand give or take, so expect to get 11 off the full list price of a new car.--
    STATISTICAL CODE: 40186258
    MAKE: FORD
    MODEL: MONDEO 1.8 (From Oct. 2000)
    VERSION: LX 04DR / SALOON / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY /
    MILEAGE: 53000 MILES

The information requested in respect of the vehicle shown is indicated below.
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): JANUARY 2002
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE:
    (applicable on enquiry date) €10990
    RATE OF TAX: 25.0%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €2747

I'm thinking around €10k, but will check tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 seanmc

Here's one being sold with 44k for €9500 :
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=391910

Since it's a dealer selling at that price, I'd say around 8000-8500ish as a trade-in.

What are you hoping to get for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I bought a 02 last week with all the extras with only 34k miles for 8250 euros.

LX models are really suffering, everyone wants Zetecs

junkyard wrote:
    I bought a 02 last week with all the extras with only 34k miles for 8250 euros.

Jaysus, thats value for u! revenue still hasnt caught up with the price collapse.

The Zetec is a much better drive 125PS and much nicer generally

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Agreed Colm.

I had a 1.8 Zetec in 2003. Nice car. I'm using a borrowed 2006 LX Steel at the minute, and it's not as good to drive engine wise, and the spec. is lower.

Comfortable cars though, with great handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the Mondeo 1.8 LX only has 110bhp whereas the 1.8 Zetec has 125bhp. A bit of a difference alright.

Prices of the current model will drop even further soon enough with the arrival of the all new Mondeo early next year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bazz26 wrote:
    I think the Mondeo 1.8 LX only has 110bhp whereas the 1.8 Zetec has 125bhp. A bit of a difference alright.

Prices of the current model will drop even further soon enough with the arrival of the all new Mondeo early next year.

Yes and yes. The Mondeo make an awful lot of sense as a used buy.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I'm driving a '02 Zetec. It's a great drive and the 125BHP makes a big difference over the scabby 110BHP of the LX.

Thanks for all the replies. Its my brothers car, and he is considering a trading in against a 05 nissan primera SX, i.6l saloon, 19k miles.

Dealer is looking for €12k along with the mondeo. I think the price is about €2/3k too dear, and the primera would'nt be my cup of tea anyway, but thats just my opinion.

What views do you have on this deal, and is this model primera any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

You should consider another Mondeo as you'd probably get a good deal on the present model before the new one came out if it didn't bother you. I'd be slow to buy a Primera, they don't hold their value too well. What about a Toyota Avensis?

gyppo wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies. Its my brothers car, and he is considering a trading in against a 05 nissan primera SX, i.6l saloon, 19k miles.

Dealer is looking for €12k along with the mondeo. I think the price is about €2/3k too dear, and the primera would'nt be my cup of tea anyway, but thats just my opinion.

What views do you have on this deal, and is this model primera any good?

Costing him €4k a year to trade up 3 years to a 1.6 Primera. That is a bit expensive alright, the 1.6 Primera is underpowered and will depreciate heavily too.

Did he look at the 1.8 Mazda 6? They use the same chassis as the Mondeo, a pretty looking car imo but they are not cheap. He might have to go for a 2004 model but it would still be a better buy than the Primera.

Thanks, Junkyard & Bazz,

Thats what I was thinking too. He's a bit of a gadget freak, and liked the primera. However, I would imagine it would be working hard for a 1.6 in a large car, and would be underpowered.

The primera might be hard to get rid of 2/3 years further on.

gyppo wrote:
    Thanks, Junkyard & Bazz,

Thats what I was thinking too. He's a bit of a gadget freak, and liked the primera. However, I would imagine it would be working hard for a 1.6 in a large car, and would be underpowered.

The primera might be hard to get rid of 2/3 years further on.

Yeah I can see the attraction the Primera might have alright, rear parking camera, etc but if he is set on one he should look for the 1.8 version. They can be bought for the same money as a 1.6 second hand. All the gadgets in the world will not hide the underpowered 1.6. Most cars in this class with a 1.6 litre engine are underpowered and only sell here because they are cheaper to tax and insure. In reality the 1.8 version is just as economical as the 1.6 as the engine struggles less to pull the heavy body. The father in law has a 1.6 Avensis and is getting no better mpg than my 1.8.

Primeras aren't worth a 5hite second hand. avoid unless ridiculously cheap

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies so far.

The brother still didnt make the jump yet, and he's not as mad on the primera as he was last week.

He has, however, looked at Mazda 6 1.8 Comfort 2005 25k miles -
    and Toyota Avensis 1.8 luna 29k miles 2004.

Both of these are at the same dealer, and he wants €14k along with the mondeo for either car. Dealer reckons the avensis in luna spec is 4k dearer than the next spec down, hence the price of the avensis.

He likes them both! But heres the big question: Which does he buy - The mazda 6 , year newer, basic spec, OR Avensis, year older, all the goodies.

Which car will be the better long term buy when it comes to trade in time, 2/3 years down the road.???

gyppo wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies so far.

The brother still didnt make the jump yet, and he's not as mad on the primera as he was last week.

He has, however, looked at Mazda 6 1.8 Comfort 2005 25k miles -
    and Toyota Avensis 1.8 luna 29k miles 2004.

Both of these are at the same dealer, and he wants €14k along with the mondeo for either car. Dealer reckons the avensis in luna spec is 4k dearer than the next spec down, hence the price of the avensis.

He likes them both! But heres the big question: Which does he buy - The mazda 6 , year newer, basic spec, OR Avensis, year older, all the goodies.

Which car will be the better long term buy when it comes to trade in time, 2/3 years down the road.???

The Mazda 6 is probably the better car to drive of the two but the Avensis is the not as bad as some people would make out.

The Mazda 6 in Comfort spec is the base model so creature comforts are limited. You still get electric windows allround, electric heated mirrors, remote central locking, 8 air bags, ABS, cd player and air conditioning as standard. The Sports Touring model is the one to really get, it has things like 16" alloy wheels, climate control, electric sunroof, traction and cruise control.

The Avensis Luna has alot more toys as standard. It has electric windows allround, electric folding heated mirrors, 9 air bags (including driver's knee air bag). dual zone climate controlled air conditioning. alloy wheels, electro-chromatic rear view mirror, 8 speaker stereo with multifunction leather steering wheel, traction control, front arm rest, auto rain sensing wipers, front fog lights and upgraded interior trim.

Performance wise both cars in 1.8 form are around the same but I have heard the Mazda is a bit heavier on fuel. Don't know how true this is though.

I have a 2003 Avensis 1.8 Luna so I will be a bit biast but find it to be a grand car, never let me down once in 3 years. Just be careful of the front headlights, they are notorious for having condisation on the inside, a design flaw but Toyota will replace the hole unit under warranty if not already done. Other than that nothing bad to report. The Mazda will be equally as reliable as the Toyota.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭maidhc

gyppo wrote:

The Toyota. My uncle went to trade in a 00 626 which had about €2500 of damage to the side. Unrepaired they would give nothing, repaired they would give €2500 :)

Thanks lads. What do you think of the cost to change - would €14k sound expensive, or is it ok??

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

maidhc wrote:
    The Toyota. My uncle went to trade in a 00 626 which had about €2500 of damage to the side. Unrepaired they would give nothing, repaired they would give €2500 :)

LOL! But a Mazda 626 is worlds apart from a Mazda 6. The 6 seems to be holding its value very well indeed, but probably not quite as good as an Avensis. A year newer 6 is better value than the Avensis imho. In 3 years time, a 4 year old 6 will probably be worth about the same as a slightly higer spec but 5 year old Avensis

But why does he stick with that particular dealer? Plenty more fish in the see, it's a buyers market :)

Used mid level petrol cars are worthless after 7 or so years. any market that exists at that age is for the likes of 1.4 golfs and polos. top end cars unless convertibles or sports cars are also worth near nothing around this time, great for bargain hunters:D

id skip both the avensis and the mazda 6 and get a passat tdi, theyl get top money for it on resale. i can gaurantee it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭maidhc

lomb wrote:
    id skip both the avensis and the mazda 6 and get a passat tdi, theyl get top money for it on resale. i can gaurantee it.

I would think an Avensis D4D would probably hold its value better than a Passat TDI. They are stupidly expensive to buy s/h.

lomb wrote:
    Used mid level petrol cars are worthless after 7 or so years. any market that exists at that age is for the likes of 1.4 golfs and polos. top end cars unless convertibles or sports cars are also worth near nothing around this time, great for bargain hunters:D

Old model Passats are now starting to drop in value further due to the arrival of the new model. Nobody will want to pay big bucks for the old model. It has been around since 1997 and is really showing it's age now. The old Passat's rear legroom and boot space are cramped comparied to the Avensis and 6. The dash, buttons and stereo all have that late 1990s look about them. I know this as I looked at these cars 3 years ago when I made my purchase.

Advertisement