Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daft Punk for Hi-Fi, Mullingar?

• 29-03-2006 6:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭

Any truth in this?

I've read that MCD are trying to get them. I'm sure Electric Picnic would love to get them too.

Daft Punk are playing a few festivals around Europe this summer, despite saying a few years ago that they wouldn't be doing any more gigs (I think because one of them went deaf? That would explain their last album anyway. ;) )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

(I think because one of them went deaf? That would explain their last album anyway. )

Oooh Burn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

no chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

heard their playing five gigs only around europe this year and ireland isn't one of them

but dont believe everything ya hear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

They're playing 8 gigs this summer, and only 5 have been announced so far.

(source: their official website)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

plazzTT wrote:
    They're playing 8 gigs this summer, and only 5 have been announced so far.

(source: their official website)

they're actually playing nine according to eurockeennes.fr one of the festivals they are playing.

• Advertisement

why would they play ireland

in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Because they have a large fan base here? (and far bigger acts are playing the festivals this summer if that's what you're getting at)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

I don't think that many bands playing in Ireland this year can match Daft Punk. They haven't played anywhere for years, announced they aren't doing live shows anymore, and then announce 9 gigs this summer. For Ireland to get one of them would be incredible.

The Who playing here is a big deal alright. But Red Hot Chilli Peppers etc. play here most years, and would be nowhere near as special as a Daft Punk show.

jimi_t wrote:
    Because they have a large fan base here? (and far bigger acts are playing the festivals this summer if that's what you're getting at)

they dont have a huge fanbase here

they have a reasonably large fanbase per head, but that hardly matters in a country with a population of under 5 million

ireland is an irrelevance in the music industry

even if they were doing a full scale tour, theyd only tag us on at the end as an afterthought between the end of the uk section, and the next part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

plazzTT wrote:
    I don't think that many bands playing in Ireland this year can match Daft Punk.

I agree on the RHCP, Foo Fighters etc... but asides from The Who we have the likes of

Radiohead/ Beck
    Morrissey
    Depeche Mode
    Art Garfunkel
    Pet Shop Boys
    Faithless
    Prodigy
    Basement Jaxx (Though they are becoming somewhat of a regular fixture)

The Summer festival scene has exploded in the last 3 years, there's really nothing touring in England or in mainland Europe that's not covered by one of the four festivals (Hi:Fi, Oxegen, Electric Picnic, Bud Rising) bar maybe Muse.
    I'd understand if Daft Punk were American maybe, but they're French ffs - they have little enough distance to travel, especially if they're doing UK dates. I personally feel that all the similar dance acts of their fame and repute have and are playing Ireland - Chemical Brothers, Underworld, Orb, Basement Jaxx, Groove Armada, Tiesto (DJ, Granted, but a big player on the world stage), Mylo, Fatboy Slim...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

The prodigy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

neil diamond...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

jimi_t wrote:
    I agree on the RHCP, Foo Fighters etc... but asides from The Who we have the likes of

Radiohead/ Beck
    Morrissey
    Depeche Mode
    Art Garfunkel
    Pet Shop Boys
    Faithless
    Prodigy
    Basement Jaxx (Though they are becoming somewhat of a regular fixture)
    Roger Waters is playing Cork at the end of June as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Meh, I'll be seeing them at Belgium's Pukkelpop festival in August, and I wholeheartedly recommend you folks to do the same. Cheap, three-day music festival with nearly 200 bands across eight stages. Went last year and had a blast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭GadgetFiend

The Westmeath Examiner announced in an exclusive at the weekend that Daft Punk are playing Hi-Fi

said it will be confirmed next friday

Sure Hi-Fi is only 2 weekends before Pukkelpop so I wouldnt be surprised- also would be just like MCD to snap up one of the acts Aiken/Electric Picnic have been trying to line up for ages

Either way, if they're playing, I'm going. If they arent, I'm not.

theyre rubbish so i wont be going either way

but ill be amazed if they play, absolutely amazed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

The Westmeath Examiner announced in an exclusive at the weekend that Daft Punk are playing Hi-Fi

said it will be confirmed next friday
    SCOOP!
    fairly weak april fools tbh

/edit
    noticed that this post was made yesterday when i hit reply, didn't cop that it's after 12 now though...
    still sounds like an april fools though

Advertisement