Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installing a second operating system

• 29-03-2006 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭

I was wondering how I'd go about installing windows xp on my windows 2000 pc. Do I need a second drive or could I install it on my existing hard drive and select the operating system at start up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This would be a good start.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

With windows you can usually install a newer OS on a machine that already has an older OS. Once you choose to install it in a different folder it should be fine. Windows 2000 usually lives in C:\winnt and Xp in C:\windows. Installing an older OS on top of a newer one usually means you need to reinstall the new one later or or run a repair of it.

Because it's a different version of windows you will need a separate XP license as well as your 2000 one. And you will need to reinstall any applications you want to use in XP as it won't inherit the ones already in Program Files. You used to be able to do that in windows 3.x, don't ya love progress ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭FastMachine

So, I basically just stick a windows xp disc in and install? Do I need to partition the drive or anything like that? What would that entail? I've never done this before, obviously, and I'm worried about wiping out some of my existing data or loosing the whole lot by doing something wrong.

I only want xp for a few things that won't run in 2000 so I'm not worried about not having to reinstall run any existing applications on it, I'll keep using 2000 for those.

Yes you will need to partition your hard disk or install XP on another hard disk.

I've never done this before, obviously, and I'm worried about wiping out some of my existing data or loosing the whole lot by doing something wrong.
    I take it you didn't bother with the pdf then. Well, this is the easiest way:
    1. Download VMware
    2. Read VMware manual.
    3. Create a VMware file on the 2000 system.
    4. Format this file using a floppy.
    5. Install XP into formatted file (it will have a drive name after formatting.
    6. When running 2000 you can open the file and run XP simultaneously.
    This will not affect original 2K system at all.
    Of course, all this only if you have the space on your 2000 PC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

biko wrote:
    I take it you didn't bother with the pdf then. Well, this is the easiest way:
    1. Download VMware
    2. Read VMware manual.
    3. Create a VMware file on the 2000 system.
    4. Format this file using a floppy.
    5. Install XP into formatted file (it will have a drive name after formatting.
    6. When running 2000 you can open the file and run XP simultaneously.
    This will not affect original 2K system at all.
    Of course, all this only if you have the space on your 2000 PC.
    Don't forget it's only a 30 day trial of VM ware !!!!

https://www.vmware.com/vmwarestore/newstore/index.jsp - starts at $189
    and again I remind you that you'd need both windows licenses unless you know of a loophole in M$ licensing

starts at $189 and again I remind you that you'd need both windows licenses unless you know of a loophole in M$ licensing

Hey, let me just say
    If you wanna play
    You gotta pay :D (8 mile beat in background)

OP, either you use software to help you - costs muy money
    or you read up on partitioning, installing, formatting etc and spend less
    Once you start using VMware you'll like it I think. I've used it at work for years.

Advertisement