Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University Papers

Options
  • 29-03-2006 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone knows how the Observer and the Tribune produce and print their papers?

My mom is on our local town coulncil and they want to make a local fortnightly newspaper and they asked me for a hand. It be on roughly the same scale as the college papers so I was wondering how it's done. Mainly what software they use to put all the articles/ads/pics in the proper layout and then how they get it printed, do they own their own or rent from elsewhere?

Any info much appreciated!

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

They use Apple iMacs and whatever the standard publishing programme is on that. The Tribune send the file up North to some company (I can get the name if you want) and they deliver it down here.

The Tribune usually print 4,000-6,000 - that's quite a few newspapers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

software is quork and adobe in design it requires someone that knows what they are doing, the observer print 10,000

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

zap wrote:
    the observer print 10,000
    That's because they have small dicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

Maybe that is a bit above my needs. I was thinking along the lines of 1,000-1,5000 every 2 weeks. I didn't realise there were companies that provided a print and delivery service, i might google a few and ask them for advice. Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

Apparently the Observer is printed by the Clare Champion or some regional paper in Westmeath, I hear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

when your talking about printing there is a min number that the printer will print and it would be not cost affective to print 1500 papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

GusherING wrote:
    Apparently the Observer is printed by the Clare Champion or some regional paper in Westmeath, I hear.

Yes that famous "WESTMEATH" regional paper, the CLARE Champion. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

The Leinster Leader and Meath Chronicle ( is it the Chronicle in Meath?) both have printing presses. Independent are far too expensive. However, you'll be paying over the odds for such a small volume anyway. It's cheaper per head the larger the volume. E-mail the Avondhu in Fermoy too, for pricing ideas, but they're probably printed by The Examiner or something.

Lots of regional papers are owned by one particular bigger paper - I can't remember which one at the moment, but they bought out the Tipp Star and Nationalist within the last few years (and the Clare Champion too, if I'm not mistaken). The Tipperary Star, The Nationalist, The Clare Champion etc. have always been linked for as long as I've known. Less of the scepticism, eh PB? Especially when you look towards the top of this topic and see that The Trib is printed in the North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Avondhu are actually based in Mitchelstown, they're definately not owned by the Examiner - as far as i remember they're still independent. They're website is www.avondhupress.ie

Not sure who does there printing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Never said they owned them hon, just said they might print them. :)

How is you, by the way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

Yes that famous "WESTMEATH" regional paper, the CLARE Champion. :confused:

I meant either the Clare Champion or a Westmeath regional paper. I'm not ****in retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

They have a big print run anyway so it could be, i dunno i'm tired.

That's another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

The Observer is printed by the Connacht Tribune, and was by the Meath Chronicle last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

Well there would be demand for 4000ish if that would make it more cost effective. Does anyone have any links/contacts of any paper/company that offers printing services? I think unison is the company taking over all the regionals but i can't see any printing services offered on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Would anyone on this thread happen to have an email for the newsdesk of the College Tribune, please? Can't find it on the web.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

thank you.

Advertisement