Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish schools free broadbond

• 29-03-2006 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi.As im sure some of you know all irish primary schools are getting free broadband.I live in the countryside and the school down the road got wireless broadband.Does anyone know who the provider is?I have checked irish broadband and its not avaible for my area.Can someone please tell me who the provider is.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

I dont think the schools and which ISP provides each one is public knowledge so doubt you will get an answer from an 'official source'. Perhaps if you indicate where you are, some might be able to give you some info. There were a few ISPs that supplied wireless to schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

You could ask the school..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Or take a pic of the antenna and some would easily recognise the various ISPs ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Are you sure it's not satellite BB? That's what the schools are getting when there isn't any other BB in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

ash h wrote:
    Hi.As im sure some of you know all irish primary schools are getting free broadband.I live in the countryside and the school down the road got wireless broadband.Does anyone know who the provider is?I have checked irish broadband and its not avaible for my area.Can someone please tell me who the provider is.
    Thanks

Company & No. of Schools Awarded

Digiweb Ltd, 1,655 Schools

Smart Telecom, 1,033 Schools

Irish Broadband, 588 Schools

BT Ireland, 341 Schools

Last Mile, 214 Schools

HS Data, 94 Schools

Total Schools = 3,925

Full detail list available for download here
    http://www.dcmnr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/Contracts+for+Delivering+Broadband+for+Schools+Now+in+Place.htm

click the link at the bottom of the page 222k winzip file

jbkenn

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The bulk of schools got VSAT (wireless was much less common when the bids went in) and the ones with no sat dishes are obviously not VSAT :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

ash h wrote:
    Thanks

Post here what school it is and i'll tell you what provider they have.
    As most got VSAT is doesn't really matter...

E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭ash h

So wireless and satellite are different.I thought wireless was just like the broadband in a box(or satellite) in this case.It must be satellite then because you cant get cable broadband where i live.
    Mayhem# the school is Butlerstown National School in Waterford.
    Thanks for all the replies so far much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

ash h wrote:
    So wireless and satellite are different.I thought wireless was just like the broadband in a box(or satellite) in this case.It must be satellite then because you cant get cable broadband where i live.
    Mayhem# the school is Butlerstown National School in Waterford.
    Thanks for all the replies so far much appreciated.

From the DCMNR
    Butlerstown National School

S N BAILE BUILEARAIGH, BAILE BUILEARAIGH,CO WATERFORD. Satellite Smart

jbkenn

Advertisement