Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Broadband by phone... options ???

• 29-03-2006 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Apparantly after having Eircom check my line, I'll never be able to get broadband on the phone line (combination of too far from the exchange, bad copper & a split line).

So what are my options... I want to get the most cost effective one, but it seems that IBB only offer 1MB for €35 which to my mind doesn't offer great value for money. Magnet say they can do it but it would involve changing the phone number (not a "huge" problem) but I can't get a detailed list of the tv packages they offer & it does seem expensive... NTL are currently not servicing my area (Donaghmede)... they would be my providor of choice... anyone work there able to tell me when ???

So... who can help ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

you can get magnet and not eircom thats rare
    anyway if your lucky enough to be able to get magnet i'd get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

If Magnet said they can give you their service what is the problem?, they're far superior to €ircon anyway. Stay away from IBB, they have the ISP plague..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭aido_2006

can ibb not give u 2mb downloads??? im in portmarnock and have the same problem with eircom, so i went to ibb and have 2mb download, 50 euro a month... how about clearwire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Clearwire and ICE (icecomms.net) offer broadband without a phoneline, Clearwire block all file sharing though so avoid like the plague if you plan on doing that. Dunno what quality of service ICE provide but they are worth looking into at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

As savemejebas said, Clearwire block and throttle ports involving certain things, such as file sharing, torrents and gaming. IMO if you're paying for a service, you shouldn't be dictated to as to what you can and can't do with it, so that's a thumbs down for me on Clearwire..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Hmmm... ICE's website don't offer much in the way of confidence...

Magnet said they can do it because they use a different protocol...

Clearwire have said they don't service Donaghmede

I'm trying to keep the cost down so their package (or 2MB from IBB) seem expensive...

It may be an option for me to get IBB & a broadtalk (or similiar) package for the phone & then get rid of that cost...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

I'd be wary of IBB....I've not heard a single good report about them but i've never had any dealings with them myself

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Check with Smart Telecom, if they can't do it, then go with Magnet, forget about IBB.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Which part of Magnet is telling you they can do it? Is it their sales or their technical people?

At the moment afaik Magnet and Smart cannot test your line fully until you have actually switched over to them so neither can give a committment that your line is up to bb. (There is a friend of mine in a similar situation to yourself thats how I know about this) You pays your money and you takes your chances.

I notice in your originial post you say 'split line' if that means that its pairgained then Magnet and Smart and indeed any dsl provider are out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

The line is indeed pairgained, so nothing on a "line" will work for me, unfortunatly NTL aren't selling into my area, (although my dad, 2 miles away has it) :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I understood that if a line is unbundled, eircom have to hand it over to the other provider "unconditioned", that is, without pairgains etc. I stand to be corrected on this.:confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I understood that if a line is unbundled, eircom have to hand it over to the other provider "unconditioned", that is, without pairgains etc. I stand to be corrected on this.:confused:

What do you base your understanding on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

One expensive way to get rid of pair gain is to order ISDN from Eircom. You have to desinstall ISDN here to get BB. (Other countries can do ISDN AND DSL on same line).

There is also Digiweb Metro for Wireless. IBB have 2 or 3 wireless products, the one that has th eworst reputation and that IBB themselves say is "cheap rubbish for students" is "Ripwave". Avoid it. Unless desparate. It does work out cheaper than Dialup and is "mostly on" but varies from dialup speed to 1/4 of other BB speeds in some areas.

www.comreg.ie has the rules on unbundling. There is dispute as to how well Eircom interpretes them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The eircom Wholesale LLU Process Manual outlines what happens if there is a pairgain present. If there is a pairgain present on the line then eircom will carry out a site survey to see if there is a spare pair available. They will get rid of the pairgain if there is a spare clean line. If they can't then it's tough shít basically.

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/dynamic/pdf/LLU%20IPM.pdf

See Paragraph 4.2.3.5 and 4.2.4.4.

Advertisement