Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats wrong with my car ? (sigma again)

Options
  • 29-03-2006 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

(alpha 156 twin spark 1.6 2001)
    Hey guys,my car was in the garage for three weeks and i got it back last night. Aparetly it got a new timing belt.When im in first gear, i have to go into second after a few seconds as i get very high revs,aslo it has a sluggish takoff ,it seems ok in 3rd,4th and fifth,but the power is not there anymore. before, i had to keep en eye on the speed cause it was so fast, but now i have my foot to the floor in fourth waiting for it to speed up on m50. any ideas on what the problem is? thanks in advance for any replies....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Sounds like the timing is out to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Bring her back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

When you say you have to go into second cause you get very high revs, is with very high speed or the engine is revving up independantly of the vehicle speed, if so your clurch is slipping.

if not; then is this independant of how far you have the throttle pedal pressed, ie press it half ways and it revs (adn speeds) up uncontrollably?.

and this
    but now i have my foot to the floor in fourth waiting for it to speed up on m50.

is the engine speeding up but he car is not, or is the engine bogging down and simply producing no power, but staying in synch speed with the vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 headphone

high reves atlow speed,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Sounds to me like you got a failed clutch or a clutch coming apart...

How many miles on the clutch?.

Here is a quick test; If you have this high rev/low speed condition floor it, and at the same time apply the brake (don't change gears, put in nuetral, press cluthc with a 3rd foot.).... if the engine revs take off and the car slows down, definitely a failed clutch or a maladjusted clutch, is it cable or hydraulic?.

Nothing to do with the timing belt, btw, what was it doing in the garage for 3 weeks and how many miles did it do while "stopped" in the garage?
    Any reason to believe it was used for smoking starts by the "boys".
    A timing belt is a 4 hour job on a difficult car, 20 min on a Corolla.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Joeface

I would agree Clutch problem ... also would agree in Banging ur Mechinics head against a wall a couple of times for not spotting this , not sure how they could have missed that ..if they had changed the Timming belt and checked every thing else , it sounds like even moving the car to a different part of the garage would have show this up........

Advertisement