Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas needed

Options
  • 29-03-2006 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Im a wheelchair user and Im thinking of building a couple of raised "flower beds" in the garden using bricks or such.
    One would be about 6foot long the other about 5 foot long.

They would be built onto a hard (cobblelock i think its called) ground against a wall.
    I know all about the filling and planting of them but the building part is my problem.

Anyone done this and can recommend somone and preferably very cheap?
    Or other ideas for same.
    (Not keen on small container planting)

Thanks for any and all ideas & comments

B :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

Where are you based? Someone might be able to recommend a handyman nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

I have seen Railway Sleepers used for this very purpose. Lined with thick black plastic to keep the moisture in, should the cobblelocks not be coming up. They are generally quicker to assemble than brick work and just as effective. But may not be to your taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Hi Franknfurter,

I saw an advert in a gardening magazine recently for a modular system for building raised beds - basically interlocking plastic 'planks' about 1 metre long x 0.5 metres high - they lock together to go as high and as long as you want, with no worries about rot etc. They can also be put together by an amateur.

I'll dig out the ad at home and pm you the details on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

That would be great gordon,......
    I love the idea of railway sleepers but any I have seen have suddenly become unbelievably expensive since all these gardening tv shows started using them.
    I did try these "turf bricks" years ago but they didnt last, just rotted away an made a horrible mess.

Im in clondalkin btw.

thanks for all the ideas

b

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

These guys have plenty of railway sleepers - i think they are €25 each

Deckclad, Kingswood Cross,
    Naas Road, Dublin 22.
    Tel: (01) 459-5492 Fax: (01) 464-0089
    Link To Web Page

• Advertisement
Advertisement