Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa GTV 3.0???

Options
  • 29-03-2006 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭

Anyone any thoughts/owned a GTV, can pick a V6 99-01 up in the UK for reasonable money. No Alfa bashing please, just contemplating stepping up to the Alfa 'experience'. The alternatives I'm considering are much more sensible (audi S3/S4 [especially the S4], Saab 9-5 Hot Aero 250bhp, BMW 328ci)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nice cars with musical engines. A future classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Bloody lovely, you'll never turn on the radio and drive around with the window down all the time, but even for an Alfa fan like me the head would have to rule the heart and the alternatives you've mentioned would all probably give you less trouble and sell better in the long run.

I nearly bought an 98 Spider last week but the head ruled and I bought an MX5 instead, not that I'll regret it I think.

Good luck, a sleepless night or two for you I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

A friend has owned a 2.0 GTV for the last couple of years, and I've driven it several times. In my opinion, the 156 has it beaten in every way. And they're cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Don't really like the 156 anymore (i've driven a few of them), they seem to be lacking the reason I'd but an Alfa in the first place. Off to check out a 2.0 GTV later today to see how they feel. I really do want something quick...

So from my alternatives, what choice? It does need to be reliable, but it probably won't be used everyday, but needs to start first time everytime!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

I have a friend who is a big Alfa fan who now drives a 156 but did drive GTV's. He considers them the best of the range especially the 3.0.

I now have my own 166 3ltr a few weeks now and it is fan blumin tastic. I am sooooo happy I got rid of the 530d. Incomparable driving experience. I can only imagine what the 3ltr GTV is like.

Check out Alfaowner.com for more comments/research. Great site very helpful users.

Redman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

I've never driven the GTV but I do think it's gorgeous looking, especially blue with cream leather; I wouldn't be so keen on the spider for various reasons.
    I'm very familiar with the V6 engine and can confirm that it's a masterpiece and, contrary to conventional wisdom, very robust and reliable (obviously, provided it has been cared for); I've had no engine problems in 5 years of V6 ownership. It may be lacking in the handling/refinement department when compared with the likes of the MX5 but, for me, the smooth, torquey and sonorous engine, coupled with the styling, make it a far more desirable proposition. I have a video somewhere of a 3l GTV overtaking a 156 GTA on the track. Given that the wonderful V6 has now ceased production, this particular model may achieve classic status some day.
    Anyway, you'll get unbiased owner opinions here:
    http://www.carsurvey.org/model_Alfa+Romeo_GTV.html

ALFA_gtv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

In fairness, that V6 would make just about any car feel good!

Can the 3.0 GTV be compared to an MX5, I'd have thought they were quite different machines? Cheers for all the advice, found a great 3.0 buyers guide through that alfaowner site which gave some comfort, couldn't get to see the 2.0 before so I'm going in the morning. My only concern is resale in a 1-2 years...

Just drove the 2.0...

Hooked, absolutely hooked. Can't wait to get everything sorted and get to the UK for a 3.0!!!

Advertisement