Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

3dr Almeara sport 1.5L, what ye think?

Options
  • 29-03-2006 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Now i know, i hate the almeara saloons but my sister is looking to change her Micra which has given no trouble at all and shes thinking of the 1.5L almeara. Her friend has a `01 model that has given no trouble. And my friends parents have a saloon version with 127k miles that has given no trouble.

So despite the blandness of the saloon, the 3dr is ok looking in black. Its the 1.5sport she wants. Also the 1.5L would be a decent jump up from a 1.0L for a girl like. I was reccommending a 1.4/5 civic hatchback but shes adamant there a boy racer yoke so wont go near them despite my protests. I suppose the almeara is a Jap so a decent 2nd hand one cant be too bad.

Anyone hear own one, any issues? What horsepower is the 1.5L, i assume about 90? And whats it like on petrol.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭roger 2006 yeah

i'd say the almeara is the best option than the civic, i'd say the insurance would be a little dearer in it than the almeara. my m8 had a 01 3dr 1.5 in black too a few year ago, very very sexy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Residuals not as strong as Honda so she should more car for her money than with a Civic. I doubt if there are major reliability issues. I had an Almera hatch years ago. Bought it for 3 grand, drove the s***e out of it & had zero problems.

Nissans don't hold their value as well as most other Japanese brands - something to do with the heavy discounting/fleet sales. Good news for second-hand buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nuttzy wrote:
    Now i know, i hate the almeara saloons but my sister is looking to change her Micra which has given no trouble at all and shes thinking of the 1.5L almeara. Her friend has a `01 model that has given no trouble. And my friends parents have a saloon version with 127k miles that has given no trouble.

So despite the blandness of the saloon, the 3dr is ok looking in black. Its the 1.5sport she wants. Also the 1.5L would be a decent jump up from a 1.0L for a girl like. I was reccommending a 1.4/5 civic hatchback but shes adamant there a boy racer yoke so wont go near them despite my protests. I suppose the almeara is a Jap so a decent 2nd hand one cant be too bad.

Anyone hear own one, any issues? What horsepower is the 1.5L, i assume about 90? And whats it like on petrol.

The 1.5 Almera has 87bhp asfaik which is ok but consider that some other cars have 1.4 engines with around 90 - 95 bhp, this should be fine though for everyday driving. Nissans like the Almera and Primera don't seem to have a great second hand resale value like Honda or Toyota but this can make them a good bargin when buying.

The Civic would probably be a better car than the Almera but will cost more to buy and probably insure due to the boyracer image. If she could stretch to a 2002 Toyota Corolla 1.4 hatchback then that would be my choice, it has around 97bhp but will cost alot more than an equivilant Almera.

Another one to look at is the Opel Astra or Ford Focus, the original Focus 3dr hatchback is the best looking of the range especially in Zetec trim imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I take it reliability is your main criteria with looks second, but a Focus is truely a far better car than either the Almera or Civic in my opinion and Almeras probably don't have that good a reputation for reliability anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Almera and Sport do not belong together in the same sentance :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's a Sport in the same way dominos is a sport

the only person who can get away with calling an Almera "sport" is australlian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭roger 2006 yeah

colm_mcm wrote:
    It's a Sport in the same way dominos is a sport

the only person who can get away with calling an Almera "sport" is australlian
    ha ha ha ha ha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I'd actually have to agree with a previous post - old-model Focus is THE car to have for this money - reliable, good-looking, good to drive...

Most are 1.4s - not a rocket-ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Focus feels a million times more solid than the Almera.

Advertisement