Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Video editing question

• 30-03-2006 12:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Can anybody tell me how to encode several channels of audio onto a single video file for playback in a PC? I want to have several languages accompany the video on playback, output through separate outputs on a sound card.
    If this belongs elsewhere, please direct me to it.
    Thanks, iwb.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

Hmmm your problem isn't the editing its the compression, see most exports from a video editing software will stereo or mono mix the audio, so all will play at once.

Could you give more details, specs on the sound card? The specific system? What exactly you are trying to do? What its for?

And this is more of an A+V question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yep. I'll move it to Audio/Video Editing.

What exactly is the end product that you are trying to achieve? I'd be better able to advise you then.

Are you talking about a DVD with multiple audio selections?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭krissrodriguez

you should look into MPEG TS (one video file mpv and as many audio files U want mpa)files, the ones that are used into sattelite broadcasting, I cannot give U more details at the moment but as far as I know they are around few programs that can convert and add separate audio files, not too sure but I think one of them is PVAStrumento or Maestro and another one DVBStudio. If I will find out I will get back to you, but even if U find this kind of encoder, then U will need VLC to play and select the desired audio stream. Hope it helped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Thanks for the replies. I didn't see this forum for some strange reason. Thanks for moving it.
    I want to make a file that will play either in a DVD player or from a computer that will output the sound in seven different languages at once to seven different analog outputs. It is a film shown at an interpretive centre and the user can select a language using a switch and some headphones.
    I was hoping I could find a sound card or DVD player with discrete analog outputs for each of the 7.1 audio channels and encode the languages in the video as surround sound perhaps. If that is off the wall, what other way is there of doing it?
    Thanks, iwb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

In theory you could, but you'd need to have some sound editing software that could out put to 8 channels. Or you could get an 8 track recorder.... don't know how you'd sync it to the pictures though.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It will really be down to the DVD authoring software that you are using.

I know that DVD Studio Pro on the Mac gives you the option for multiple tracks of audio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

Yeah ditto to what monkey fudge is saying, you need to worry about this when encoding your dvd and selecting the audio versions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Thanks a lot. So, if I can find a program that encodes multiple audio streams, I will get that much done. If I then find either a soundcard that outputs to seven analog channels, it will just play back to those? If I find a DVD player that does the same, with that work too? Any hardware suggestions?
    Thanks, iwb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

The DVD spec only allows for multiple audio "channels" - e.g. multiple versions of the soundtrack in various languages - but you can only output one at a time.

If you want to have all languages playing all the time you'll have to do it some other way. The only way I can think of off the top of my head would be to have some multiple audio or video tapes synchronised to your video or dvd source. I'm sure it's possible, but it would not be a standard configuration as far as I know.

Advertisement