Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Next time I am going to the cops!!

Options
  • 30-03-2006 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Almost at the end of a 400km journey most of it in foul weather, on the N7 motorway just south of Naas, I came up behind the usual idiot sat in the overtaking lane at 100kph with nothing in left lane. I flashed them and their first reaction was to jump on the brakes.

How stupid and dangerous can you be !!

I pulled up inside her and stood on the horn letting her know she was a stupid cnut. Before moving on. A couple of miles later she came up along side me and started mouthing off at me at the lights and gave me the fingers.

So this is a warning to you twats that think the outside lane is for sleeping and you should break test anyone who tries to pass, I for one am going to start taking numbers, reporting you and following this through because someone will die because of this stupidity. :mad:

Rant over, but this has substance !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Someone once tried tomess with me in a not to dissimilar situation and I pretended to use my mobile to ring the cops - they turned off at the next junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I don't think you should have beeped at her though RobaMerc. I find the 'look' works wonders, you know when you just look at them and shake your head slowly. Makes them feel stupid and you wouldn't have gotten the reaction you did

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

That really bugs me - and it happens so bloody often

Usual process - begin to catch up with car in front and stay a safe distance. Plenty of room for them to pull over but - no , obviously are immune to using mirrors. So move up right behind them (which the AA recommend btw), still no reaction. Eventually flash the lights (which the AA again recommend), most often get no reaction, but as you say sometimes the old brakes are hit. As a last resort you have to undertake (which the AA does not recommend, but hey 2 out of 3 aint bad)

This sort of crap causes road rage, and speeding - cos sure thing when you do get past you will speed off at a much quicker speed than you were originally doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

RobAMerc wrote:
    ..... I came up behind the usual idiot sat in the overtaking lane at 100kph with nothing in left lane. I flashed them and their first reaction was to jump on the brakes.

....stupid cnut. .....because someone will die because of this stupidity. :mad:

Substance, it does have indeed.
    Lets see, you indicate there was nothing in the left lane.....
    So is passing in the left lane beneath you, some sort of slight to your superiority, if you have to use use that lane to pass perhaps....

So you catch up with a sleeping Joe or Joan at the wheel and rather than simply recognising the situation for what is is, you start flashing, foming at the gills, etc... This is considered "good practice"

You are absolutely correct...

If on approach you failed to recognise this car was not moving out of the lane and you have an empty lane to your left and failed to take advantage of it..

....stupid cnut. .....because someone will die because of this stupidity.

Mobile flyovers that's required...
    My sympathies..

Rant over :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

You what bugs me even more, I do be in the overtaking lane overtaking traffic doing the legal 120kph and I get these guys behind me flashing lights and beeping horns to get out of the way. So I stay in front of them doing 120 and then usually try to undertake you. Speed limits are there for a f**king reason. I drive a 2.5l Subaru Legacy and I can manage to stay to the limits why the hell do people feel the need to go as fast as possible on the motorway???

Rant Over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

AMurphy wrote:
    So is passing in the left lane beneath you, some sort of slight to your superiority, if you have to use use that lane to pass perhaps....
    Errrm, this is Ireland we're talking about here not the US of A, where, like the rest of Europe, overtaking on the left (unless in slow moving heavy traffic) is actually illegal :) It was the responsibility of the driver in the overtaking lane to move over to the left to allow him to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

AMurphy wrote:
    Substance, it does have indeed.

So you catch up with a sleeping Joe or Joan at the wheel and rather than simply recognising the situation for what is is, you start flashing, foming at the gills, etc... This is considered "good practice"

You are absolutely correct...

If on approach you failed to recognise this car was not moving out of the lane and you have an empty lane to your left and failed to take advantage of it..

....stupid cnut. .....because someone will die because of this stupidity.

Mobile flyovers that's required...
    My sympathies..

Rant over :rolleyes:

Passing must be done on the right. Overtaking on the left is frowned upon and referred to quite funnily as 'undertaking' a word I only heard in this country, and while it is not illegal, it is not recommended as the driver in the overtaking lane can move back into the lane at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

irish1 wrote:
    You what bugs me even more, I do be in the overtaking lane overtaking traffic doing the legal 120kph and I get these guys behind me flashing lights and beeping horns to get out of the way. So I stay in front of them doing 120 and then usually try to undertake you. Speed limits are there for a f**king reason. I drive a 2.5l Subaru Legacy and I can manage to stay to the limits why the hell do people feel the need to go as fast as possible on the motorway???

Rant Over.

I agree that speed limits are there for a reason, but speed limits in Ireland are a joke to be put at the slightest. 120 Kmph on a Motorway? No wonder cars in Ireland are in such a state after a few years, because the engine is never used to it's full potential. Then we see signs for 80kmph on roads which could act more like a pothole slalom..

By the way, if you do keep to the limits all the time, why do you own a 2.5l car? A Ford KA would do the job for you!

Alun. Jumpy,
    I know and I don't care, if there is a free lane and shoulder to escape into should they wake up, good.
    I have yet to be pulled over and I'd rather be on my way than "right" and irritate, and if as happens on occasion, they speed up in protest, I don't care as long as I keep on truckin @ 70.
    I do draw the line at passing on the shoulder.... but don't press me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

TheBazman wrote:
    That really bugs me - and it happens so bloody often

Usual process - begin to catch up with car in front and stay a safe distance. Plenty of room for them to pull over but - no , obviously are immune to using mirrors. So move up right behind them (which the AA recommend btw), still no reaction. Eventually flash the lights (which the AA again recommend), most often get no reaction, but as you say sometimes the old brakes are hit. As a last resort you have to undertake (which the AA does not recommend, but hey 2 out of 3 aint bad)

This sort of crap causes road rage, and speeding - cos sure thing when you do get past you will speed off at a much quicker speed than you were originally doing
    yes the scenario you have quoted would be a polite courteous and safe way of driving....but from my experience of driving on motorways here in ireland your more likely to get some cnut drive straight up your arse beeping and flashing immediately upon coming in sight of you.
    If someone is in the overtaking lane or any lane for that matter doing the LEGAL speed limit then its not your position to make them speed up. Its your decision to speed and endanger lives so please don't force it upon others

• Advertisement

I agree that speed limits are there for a reason, but speed limits in Ireland are a joke to be put at the slightest. 120 Kmph on a Motorway? No wonder cars in Ireland are in such a state after a few years, because the engine is never used to it's full potential. Then we see signs for 80kmph on roads which could act more like a pothole slalom..

By the way, if you do keep to the limits all the time, why do you own a 2.5l car? A Ford KA would do the job for you!

LOL so I shouldn't bother buying a Legacy unless I'm going to break the speed limits!!!:rolleyes:

You see the problem as I see it is that people reckon its ok to break the speed limits as its their lives at risk, problem is when you speed you put a lot more lives at risk than your own, I know most people on here can probably drive safely at 130-140 kmph on a motorway but what if some guy decides to break suddenly because he just realised he's at his junction what do you do!!

There is no excuse for driving over 120kmph on a motorway be in a Ka or a Legacy

irish1 wrote:

Rant Over.

Joking I hope...
    Anyway, for illustration.... lets say we have Mr/s. Irish1 here, cruising in the "passing" lane at the limit.
    nothing in the "pleb" lane........ let's see again. if there is nothing in the lanes save for me and I1, why would I be in the "passing" lane anyway, sure that makes me as bad if not worse than I1, ... it is legal to do the limit in the "other" lane.
    So I'm actually dong the limit +10 in the "slow" lane, cause there's nothing else about.. right?.

either way, I am gaining on this car in teh "fast" lane... I'm now in teh slow lane, cause that's where I should be on an empty road anyway...and I can see from 1/4 mile away that it is not budging or making any indication of a change in any way whatsoever, so what am I to assume.... This guy is wide awake and really on the ball and knows I'm coming up on him/her and will make adjustments, OR, this guy is asleep at the wheel, on the phone with the girl/boyfriend and won't know I'm even on this planet until I rap on his left door....

I'll leave you to figure out the posibilities....

AMurphy wrote:
    Joking I hope...
    Anyway, for illustration.... lets say we have Mr/s. Irish1 here, cruising in the "passing" lane at the limit.
    nothing in the "pleb" lane........ let's see again. if there is nothing in the lanes save for me and I1, why would I be in the "passing" lane anyway, sure that makes me as bad if not worse than I1, ... it is legal to do the limit in the "other" lane.
    So I'm actually dong the limit +10 in the "slow" lane, cause there's nothing else about.. right?.

either way, I am gaining on this car in teh "fast" lane... I'm now in teh slow lane, cause that's where I should be on an empty road anyway...and I can see from 1/4 mile away that it is not budging or making any indication of a change in any way whatsoever, so what am I to assume.... This guy is wide awake and really on the ball and knows I'm coming up on him/her and will make adjustments, OR, this guy is asleep at the wheel, on the phone with the girl/boyfriend and won't know I'm even on this planet until I rap on his left door....

I'll leave you to figure out the posibilities....
    AMurphy how about you read my post again, I said:
    in the overtaking lane overtaking traffic

I am only ever in the overtaking lane if I am overtaking, seriously did you even bother to read my post??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

RobAMerc wrote:
    Almost at the end of a 400km journey most of it in foul weather, on the N7 motorway just south of Naas, I came up behind the usual idiot sat in the overtaking lane at 100kph with nothing in left lane. I flashed them and their first reaction was to jump on the brakes.

I pulled up inside her and stood on the horn letting her know she was a stupid cnut. Before moving on. A couple of miles later she came up along side me and started mouthing off at me at the lights and gave me the fingers.

So this is a warning to you twats that think the outside lane is for sleeping and you should break test anyone who tries to pass, I for one am going to start taking numbers, reporting you and following this through because someone will die because of this stupidity. :mad:

Not trying to rip the piss here or anything, but if there was nobody on your left, which allowed you to pull in, and take her on the inside, who exactly were you overtaking which would justify YOU being in the overtaking lane?

irish1 wrote:
    LOL so I shouldn't bother buying a Legacy unless I'm going to break the speed limits!!!:rolleyes:

You see the problem as I see it is that people reckon its ok to break the speed limits as its their lives at risk, problem is when you speed you put a lot more lives at risk than your own, I know most people on here can probably drive safely at 130-140 kmph on a motorway but what if some guy decides to break suddenly because he just realised he's at his junction what do you do!!

There is no excuse for driving over 120kmph on a motorway be in a Ka or a Legacy
    Well, until very recently, you could only legally drive at 112km/h on motorways, so doing what you now do, i.e. drive at 120km/h would, therefore, in your eyes have then been reckless and dangerous. It's all relative.

And if some guy breaks [sic] because he's missed his junction, then whether you're travelling at 120km/h or 130km/h isn't going to make a whole lot of difference. Ok, it might make a slight one, but then you can use that same argument 'ad absurdum' to make a case for a 50km/h speed limit on motorways if you wanted to.

I've lived and driven in Germany where average speeds on the Autobahn far exceed 120km/h, but then the people there know how to drive.

spockety wrote:
    Not trying to rip the piss here or anything, but if there was nobody on your left, which allowed you to pull in, and take her on the inside, who exactly were you overtaking which would justify YOU being in the overtaking lane?
    Well, maybe he was coming up to her in the left lane, and when he got closer pulled out into the overtaking lane to, well, overtake her?

Alun wrote:
    I've lived and driven in Germany where average speeds on the Autobahn far exceed 120km/h, but then the people there know how to drive.

Exactly, in Germany do they have 500,000 drivers on the road that have never passed a driving test, I mean a lot of people I know are awaiting driving tests so they shouldn't even be on the motorway!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Recently I have lost count of the amount of drivers who move out of the overtaking lane and into the left lane when they see you, and after you go by, they pull back into the overtaking lane, even though the left lane is empty... as you move into the left lane again.... FKing muppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

irish1 wrote:

Sorry but this statement really is stupid. If someone wants to do over 120kph it's their choice, who are you to say otherwise? I for one am sick of the attitude "I'm doing the speed limit, where do they think they are going" by spanners who sit in the overtaking lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭hargo

2 offences irish1, failing to drive on the left and driving without due consideration to other drivers. Even when you join the reserve force you can't enforce the speed limit by blocking the passing lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Similar thing happened to me on Friday evening, on the M1 going up the hill just beyond the toll. While I was overtaking (@ 120kmh) a group of four cars who were crawling up the hill the second car in the line began to pull out without indicating. I had kept my indicators on throughout the manoeuvre so they would all see me and know my intentions but he pulled out anyway, doing about 100kmh. Before he entered my lane I flashed him to alert him of my presence but he kept on coming before finally getting fully in front of me and slamming on his brakes!

So not only was this muppet (red Peuget 306, cheap bodykit and fat alloys) stupid, he was aggressive too. When I eventually got along side him a bit further on I could see that he actually had his mobile phone to his ear the whole time! When I saw this I held the horn on full blast hoping that the person on the phone to knob-jockey might hear and ask what the f**k he was doing...

Jesus F**king Christ will people bother to read my post before they go making comments. I'll repeat it again so try reading this people.

I said I do be in the Overtaking lane OVERTAKING TRAFFIC doing the speed limit of 120kmph when people flash and beep the horn at me to drive faster.

So Hargo can you tell me what offence I have commited??? How about none!!!

As for you CSS my comment is far from STUPID, its the bloody Law, yes the law of this country. As for me and other spanners who drive the to the speed limit well we'll probably live a lot longer than people like you who see nothing wrong with breaking the speed limit.

Some people on here are so ignornat to road safety its a bloody joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

AMurphy. There is no excuse for overtaking on the left (in this country). The problem with that attitude is that it would soon become an accepted standard, and also driving in the right lane will become accepted with it.

Irish1, It is not your place to enforce the law. If you are in the right lane doing 120Kmh, and have room to move over, then you should do that. WHY? Because if someone has the mentality to drive up a motorway at 150Kmh, and flash at you, there is no saying what other dangerous manouvres they will attempt.

The problems here is repeated all over these boards:
    1. The sheer volume of people who do not know how to drive properly and safely is astonishing (e.g. The Girl Hogging the OVERTAKING lane)
    2. Peoples Holier-Than-Thou-I-Shall-Enforce-The-Law-Myself attitude, which is probable equally dangerous.

But I would imagine if problem 1 was dealt with, problem 2 would not arise as often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

The overtaking lane is for overtaking. Full stop. No buts. In Australia there are signs reminding you of this everywhere. We need the same here.

The simple fact is there are more and more cars on Irish (Sh*tty) roads, and there will be more and more accidents. All we can do to make this better is have a little more courtesy for our fellow drivers.

prospect wrote:
    Irish1, It is not your place to enforce the law. If you are in the right lane doing 120Kmh, and have room to move over, then you should do that. WHY? Because if someone has the mentality to drive up a motorway at 150Kmh, and flash at you, there is no saying what other dangerous manouvres they will attempt.

No hold on a second, if the left hand lane is moving at say 100kmph and a steady flow of traffic in it I am quite entitled to drive @ 120kmph in the overtaking lane overtaking the traffic in the left hand lane am I not??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

irish1 wrote:
    No hold on a second, if the left hand lane is moving at say 100kmph and a steady flow of traffic in it I am quite entitled to drive @ 120kmph in the overtaking lane overtaking the traffic in the left hand lane am I not??

There is a difference between entitlement as you think and the rules of the road.

The right lane is for overtaking full stop. No ifs or buts about it ok.

If your driving in the fast lane when there's no need to as in empty road then your retarded and you know you are.

I agree 100% with the original poster, Id do the same, infact I think a whistle blower culture would be helpful. Start taking numbers make a report.

Yesterday evening a middle aged gentleman in a Audi A4 04 LH reg decided to overtake everything in sight including around blind corners.

kluivert wrote:
    There is a difference between entitlement as you think and the rules of the road.

The right lane is for overtaking full stop. No ifs or buts about it ok.

If your driving in the fast lane when there's no need to as in empty road then your retarded and you know you are.

Emm under the rules of the road I am entitled to do exactly what I said, overtake cars in the overtaking lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

irish1 wrote:

Yes you are.
    Which is why i put this clause in bold italic letters:
    "and have room to move over"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

irish1 wrote:

You are but merely adhereing to the basic rules and rights does not neccessarily constitute safe driving or good road sense. The left lane could have a long queue of cars, miles long even, and you could sit out there for ages passing them at 120kmh safe in the knowledge that you are within speed limits and are 'overtaking'. I also could be overtaking, at 140kmh and will come upon you. I'll give you time to pull over and when you don't after a while I'll gently remind you of my presense by a putting on my right indicator. Should you be determined not to pull over when there is an opportunity to do so then I'll perhaps give a quick a non-threating flash of the lights. By now of course you'll be pissing off the whole load of people who will by then be queued up behind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

To the original OP. If you were driving @ 120kmph in the left-hand lane, and come upon someone doing 100kmph in the overtaking lane,why not just stay in your lane and pass them ? Would make more sense than stressing yourself out over it, or trying to intimidate the other driver with flashing lights and horn.
    ccs wrote:
    Sorry but this statement really is stupid. If someone wants to do over 120kph it's their choice, who are you to say otherwise? I for one am sick of the attitude "I'm doing the speed limit, where do they think they are going" by spanners who sit in the overtaking lane.

No. Your point is just daft. Its ok for you to choose to break the law by speeding, but its not ok for someone else to choose to break the law by hogging the overtaking lane ?? Get over yourself !

Advertisement