Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Next time I am going to the cops!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭maidhc

You are not a speed limit enforcer, that's the job of the guards. If someone behind you wants to overtake you pull over and let them past. How do you know they are not in an emergency situation? Maybe it is somebody driving their pregnant wife to the hospital, or someone in the car is seriously injured and being driven to the hospital???

It's people like you who should be put off the road.

I cant see anything unreasonable in that statement!

All these comments about mirrors is silly. You shouldnt be looking the mirror so long that you notice Grand Aunty Nora is in the back seat of a Volvo 3 cars behind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

impr0v wrote:
    except in places where two or more motors pedants gather and attempt to out-holier than thou each other
    :D:D ah sure, twould hardly be a motors board at all without the overtaking/undertaking jihadi and rabid pro/anti Alfa posters :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

First of all I am not trying to excuse speeding. I am pointing out that your behaviour is dangerous, inconsiderate, contributes to road rage and can cause accidents. You are not a speed law enforcer.

When I'm overtaking on a motorway at 120kmph and someone comes up behind me and wants to overtake I pull over and let them past. I think if you ask any Guard or anyone who knows anything about driving they will tell you this is the safest and correct thing to do. You would do it if you are as concerned about road safety as you make out you are.

As regards being able to see into the back seat of every car I don't believe you. But if you could see somebody in the back of the car (can you also tell if they are in distress or pain through you magic mirrors???) would you pull over and let the car overtake? Do you only stay in the overtaking lane for cars with one occupient?

Have you actually bothered to read my posts though, all of them??? What I have said is I will pull over once I have finished overtaking I just don't think I should jump back into the left land lane when I am doing 120kmph just because some fool wants to break the speed limit. I am not the one driving dangerously I am driving correctly and safely.

Also I never said I can see in the back seat of EVERY car, I would pull over when it is safe to do if I honestly believed the person behind had a genuine emergency, however I have been driving on a full licence for 8 years and I never once had this happen where someone had a pregnant women in the back, actually I'd say 90% of the times this has happened there was only 1 person in the car.

It's very very simple, no-one should speed and I won't go out of my way to allow people to either, my father was a passenger in a car that was breaking the speed limit and he has been left disabled for the rest of his life.

(and incase you think I'm just throwing that in to make a point its 100% the truth and I have said it here many times before)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

irish1 wrote:
    It is the point do, there is NO excuse for speeding unless you are a Garda driving a Garda Vehicle, a ambulance driver driving an ambulance or a fire fighter driving a fire truck.

By the way I am not lying I can see the back seat through the gap in the front seats easily, but as I said there is no excuse for going over 120kmph unless you are one of the above, so grow up and stop trying to excuse dangerous driving that is killing people every week on our road.
    As someone pointed out to you earlier, the previous limit was 70mph, it is now 75mph (120kmh) so one wonders if you were saying "There is no excuse for going over 70mph" before the limit was changed.

As has also been said before, it's not your job to enforce the speed limit. No, you shouldn't be forced to break the limit yourself if you don't want to, but I get the distinct impression from reading all your posts that you like to frustrate people who want to get past you on the road.

Breaking the speed limit isn't what kills people on the roads. Driver error is the main reason statistically, and this is not the same as "speeding".

Hate getting involved in these threads myself, usually try to avoid them. Will probably regret clicking submit now... :)

IrishRover I don't like to frustrate people on the road, but I also can't stand people flashing and beeping at me when I am overtaking at 120kmph, seriously lilke how many seconds am I going to delay them by??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

irish1 wrote:
    Have you actually bothered to read my posts though, all of them??? What I have said is I will pull over once I have finished overtaking I just don't think I should jump back into the left land lane when I am doing 120kmph just because some fool wants to break the speed limit. I am not the one driving dangerously I am driving correctly and safely.

I only read your first post where you said "I do be in the overtaking lane overtaking traffic doing the legal 120kph and I get these guys behind me flashing lights and beeping horns to get out of the way. So I stay in front of them doing 120 and then usually try to undertake you"

That implies to me you stay in the overtaking lane on purpose trying to piss them off. If there is room for them to undertake you then there must not be a car in the left lane. That is dangerous driving in my book, you are selfish, inconsiderate and an idiot.
    irish1 wrote:
    Also I never said I can see in the back seat of EVERY car, I would pull over when it is safe to do if I honestly believed the person behind had a genuine emergency, however I have been driving on a full licence for 8 years and I never once had this happen where someone had a pregnant women in the back, actually I'd say 90% of the times this has happened there was only 1 person in the car.
    The thing is you cannot possibly tell what is going on in the car behind you so just pull over and let them past instead of trying to píss them off. It is safer for you, them and other drivers around you.
    irish1 wrote:
    It's very very simple, no-one should speed and I won't go out of my way to allow people to either, my father was a passenger in a car that was breaking the speed limit and he has been left disabled for the rest of his life.
    I agree that speeding is wrong. The thing is your actions are as dangerous if not more dangerous than the people who are doing 140kmph on a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

If you are overtaking, that's fair enough, I wouldn't expect you to dive into a gap to get out of some tit's way. I think a lot of people may have gotten the impression you were sitting in teh overtaking lane while the driving lane was empty just to be cussed and that's why they're getting riled.

That implies to me you stay in the overtaking lane on purpose trying to piss them off. If there is room for them to undertake you then there must not be a car in the left lane. That is dangerous driving in my book, you are selfish, inconsiderate and an idiot.

Oh no the worst part there usually isn't room to undertake so they weave in and out.

The thing is you cannot possibly tell what is going on in the car behind you so just pull over and let them past instead of trying to píss them off. It is safer for you, them and other drivers around you.

As I have said now on several occasions once I have finished overtaking I do move into the left hand lane.

I agree that speeding is wrong. The thing is your actions are as dangerous if not more dangerous than the people who are doing 140kmph on a motorway.
    My actions are not dangerous at all however driving very near to a car doing 120kmph and flashing your lights is very dangerous.

I think you may have gotten the wrong idea, however if you had read all my posts you would have seen I restated my position several times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

irish1 wrote:
    Oh no the worst part there usually isn't room to undertake so they weave in and out.

As I have said now on several occasions once I have finished overtaking I do move into the left hand lane.

My actions are not dangerous at all however driving very near to a car doing 120kmph and flashing your lights is very dangerous.

I think you may have gotten the wrong idea, however if you had read all my posts you would have seen I restated my position several times.

OK, fair enough, maybe I did take you up wrong and if so I apologise. I thought you were one of these idiots who stay in the overtaking lane doing 120kph with the attitude that because they are doing the legal speed limit they are not going to let anybody overtake them.

Fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Irish1 if you read my OP again, you'll see I said there was no one in the inside lane and therefore no reason for her to be out there.
    You misread it and started ranting on about people flashing you off the road while overtaking and accusing me of doing likewise.

Please read the post again, what you and I are talking about are entirely different and you should not be abusing me for doing something I did not and do not do.

Apologies RobAMerc, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, I just wanted to make a point. I understand what you said and I agree that what the person was doing was totally wrong.

Sorry again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

And with an unexpected outbreak of hugs and kisses can we leave it at that?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Raiser wrote:
    :mad: Wow, it just so happens that any driver with all chromosomes present and accounted for, who has a conscious awarenss of reality and the World around them recognises tail-gating as a grossly stupid act whereby you endanger your own sad little life, legs, spine, ability to feed yourself on a daily basis. Furthermore if you want to kill whoever happens to be driving ahead of you and put their kids in little health-board subsidised wheelchairs, this is a good tactic.

I can only imagine that by the AA you mean the Ar$eholes Alumni or perhaps that other venerable organisation Accident Association [?] Let me know because I intend on contacting them for clarification - Any ...."

It seems as if you are unable to have a proper discussion on here without people like you loosing the cool
    Exactly what I said was quoted by the AA on "The Last Word". Ring them if you like. As I said the "undertaking" part was not recommended. Let me ask you this question: you happen to be in a rush, you are on a quiet motorway say doing 110/120km. You come up behind someone dawdling along at say 80km. Can you explain to me what exactly you would do in this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Hi TheBazman, first of all let me point out one thing - I am going to answer this imagining that I don't have a donor heart destined for the nearest cardiac surgery, or say a Dominos thin crust Xtra cheeZy pizza in the back just waiting to go cold.....

.......Further assuming that I want to get home without rear-ending someone with 1.5 tons of Japanese steel or getting sideswiped from the right as I foolishly undertake some myopic old dear who has double-dosed on her valium.....

.....Then I suppose my answer would be to maintain a safe distance [I'm not going to pretend I'm not pi55ed off royally already] and after a min or two start flashing my lights to try and signal to them that they should move left......

.....Being Ireland there is now somebody approaching my rear bumper doing the aforementioned 110/120KMs - this person is typically so sh1t-cool that they can maintain this speed until they are 3.5 inches from the my rear-bumper givng me a nice view of their nostril hair and ape-like countenance in my rearview mirror....But ideally you want to be well left once more before ape-man arrives and let him do all the fretting, tail-gating etc. In no time he'll have cleared Grandma and her sedatives off the road......

.....Proceed home, alive, and to be honest it might be 6.14pm instead of 6.08pm, but I can make this time up by eating my dinner while standing up or perhaps blending it and drinking it with a straw ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

prospect wrote:
    AMurphy. There is no excuse for overtaking on the left (in this country). The problem with that attitude is that it would soon become an accepted standard, and also driving in the right lane will become accepted with it.

Man, you go to sleep for a few hours and war breaks out.....

Anyway, you are absolutely correct, It should be unecessary to adapt such tactics....and indeed there should be no excuse for such antics, and were conditins other than I have encountered, I'd be happy to co-operate....
    but I'm afraid there are Fast lane hogs, either because they are asleep at eh wheel, on another planet or as i have witnessed here, "The Enforcers", I can forgive the others, "cause they know not what they do", howver the "The enforcers" (Enforcers, those who hang out int eh fast lane enforcing the speed limit) are as arrogent in their way as the Flashers n Hooters are in theirs and I have no time for either. So I'm happy to get as great a distance between me and them as is possible, either by dropping back or speeding up. but I refuse to be intimidated by either.

I remember possibly 2 years ago, Nass DC somewhere near the exit for Baldonnal Air Base. I'm cruising along in the "slow" lane, but nonetheless catching up with a car in the "fast" lane, about 5mph faster... just drifting by, not another car about for miles.
    As soon as I draw up parallel with the other car, the driver notices me, I hardly noticed him at all.... save that it was hard to not notice something going ape behind the wheel of a car... hands flailing, obviously shouting to himself, (why would he be shouting at me), etc.... I waved him a good day, hightailed it outta there and wondered whatthehell was all that about.....

prospect wrote:
    In fairness to Irish1, I just don't think his first post was worded well.

I'll plead guilty to that one also..... Sorry I1, not picking on you, you joust happened to be the on e illustration about at 12:00am....

However that reminds me of another "incident" this time north of Dublin Airport, and on the old highway, 2 lanes in each direction.
    I'm passing a 40' container truck, and just before the turnoff for Skerries.
    A SUV gets on my tail while passing the truck... usual carp, flashing/tailgating, so I up the ante a bit, not that I'd snailing in the first place, pull in in front of the turck and the SUV passes by, .... not 30 sec later the same vehicle pulls into a gas station...... Leaving me to wonder....WTF was all that about as I glide by.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

There are no "slow lanes" or "fast lanes"...... Drive on your merry way on the left hand side of the road. If you need to overtake move right when its safe and then once clear of the overtaken vehicle move left once more, again when it is safe to do so.

The point that you are missing out on, is that the people driving slowly in the "fast lane" have trouble with their shoe-laces and curbing their wife-beating - they think they are going fast - so by your flawed reasoning why shouldn't they use the "fast lane"

Or what if you are doing 110MPH [fcuk KMs] in your "fast lane" and I'm in a hurry [to see my anger management counsellor] doing 130MPH and get stuck behind you ???? Where should you be then ? In the "slow lane" at 110 MPH ???

- Get to the left before I show you my damn tyre-iron.....Because its got a nice shiny chrome finish I mean ;)

Raiser wrote:
    There are no "slow lanes" or "fast lanes"...... Drive on your merry way on the left hand side of the road. If you need to overtake move right when its safe and then once clear of the overtaken vehicle move left once more, again when it is safe to do so.

- Get to the left before I show you my damn tyre-iron.....Because its got a nice shiny chrome finish I mean ;)

Nice in theory, but what if the car to be overtaken is in the right or adjacent right lane, and not in the mood to pull over... Theory kinda grinds into a traffic jam or as is common, a train in the right lane, tailgating to the point that nobody in the left lane and doing the same speed can move over until the train passes and a few stragglers the "other passing lane".
    A train of the type, that you have to pass all of them, if you want to pass any of them, cause they are so possessive of their little spot in the line, that may be going nowhere... ultimately... but they hang on for dear live, these little games they indulge in are juvenile at best and easy to spot.

btw, in case you think this is a unique Irish driving habit, not so. I think it is a Korean import, cause they do exactly the same thing there...I remember one morning early, heading for the airport, nothing much on the road, the taxi could drive in any lane or astride the lane markers if he wished.. but as expected drive in the leftmost lane, of 4~5 empty lanes. A bus passed by to my right. (They drive on the RHS).

Good thinking, there is no fast/slow lanes, the fast one is the one that is going fastest... whichever one that happens to be.

No need to threaten, I'm quiet happy driving in the left lanes, just so long as it's the fast lane, it's where I spend most of my time...and overtaking there also.
    Now get back in your right lane and let me be or by, or both simultaneously....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

irish1 wrote:
    You what bugs me even more, I do be in the overtaking lane overtaking traffic doing the legal 120kph and I get these guys behind me flashing lights and beeping horns to get out of the way. So I stay in front of them doing 120 and then usually try to undertake you. Speed limits are there for a f**king reason. I drive a 2.5l Subaru Legacy and I can manage to stay to the limits why the hell do people feel the need to go as fast as possible on the motorway???

Rant Over.
    Are you for real?

120kph indicated by your speedometer, first of all, isnt 120kph - it'll be more like 110kph. Second of all - if they made the speed limit 130kph, does that suddenly mean that its ok to do 130kph? They recently raised the speed limit from 112kph to 120kph, so why arent you doing 112kph, if it means that limits are the perfect limit for each road in every condition.

Just because you're doing the speed limit, doesnt mean you should stick in the outside lane - that is DREADFUL driving, you're the kind of person that causes accidents, not prevents them. I generally do about 100-110 kph on a motorway run mainly for mpg in the INSIDE LANE, but if I do have to overtake a truck, I'll accelerate to 120-130kph so as not to slow down the flow of traffic.

You cant assume that 120kph = everyone in the same league. Everyones cars have different stopping distances. An old anglia doing 120kph would be far more dangerous than a Ford Focus doing 140kph.

The autobahns in Germany work wonderfully and there are no speedlimits there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

IrishRover wrote:
    As someone pointed out to you earlier, the previous limit was 70mph, it is now 75mph (120kmh) so one wonders if you were saying "There is no excuse for going over 70mph" before the limit was changed.

As has also been said before, it's not your job to enforce the speed limit. No, you shouldn't be forced to break the limit yourself if you don't want to, but I get the distinct impression from reading all your posts that you like to frustrate people who want to get past you on the road.

Breaking the speed limit isn't what kills people on the roads. Driver error is the main reason statistically, and this is not the same as "speeding".

Hate getting involved in these threads myself, usually try to avoid them. Will probably regret clicking submit now... :)

I could not agree more with you, IrishRover. I rarely quote full long posts, but here's the exception :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matt cork

great thread this, very interesting read.

i shall leave the 'over-taking / under-taking' element for another day as this evening i have another consideration

'is indicating now banned in ireland??'

i could sit here and write a book about the near misses but for now i'll stick with this evenings;

living in cork, headed out to pick up the take away, traffic is its usual heavy self - roadworks in the grand parade causing mayhem in douglas - anyhow heading past the douglas court shopping centre to go straight over the round about, slow, check traffic, car heading across on the other side, so pull away.......... the above car then turns round the roundabout in my direction i hit the brakes, he hits the brakes, his partners makeup hits the windscreen! at which point the usual flailing of arms and expletives are hurled in my direction. calmly i followed the said car to mcdonalds whereby i tap on the window and ask whether he knew what the stalk controller on the right hand of his steering wheel was? the conversation went like this

'yes' he said
    'no you don't' i replied
    'whats the ***k's it got to do with you' he retorted??!!
    'you didnt indicate on the roundabout did you'
    'don't need to do i when i have right of way'
    'how old are you?' i enquired
    'old enough to drive' he tells me
    'provisional?' i ask
    'yeah' with a scowl!
    'your going to make someone another statistic if you carry on driving that way'
    middle finger hoisted in my direction........

im older now and a little wiser so i laugh and walk off having achieved nothing and not feeling any better. 10 years ago i would have removed that finger from he's hand but what would that achieved

went home ranted and raved for a while then think, if the government doesnt give a monkey's why should i??!!

commited wrote:
    Are you for real?

120kph indicated by your speedometer, first of all, isnt 120kph - it'll be more like 110kph. Second of all - if they made the speed limit 130kph, does that suddenly mean that its ok to do 130kph? They recently raised the speed limit from 112kph to 120kph, so why arent you doing 112kph, if it means that limits are the perfect limit for each road in every condition.

Just because you're doing the speed limit, doesnt mean you should stick in the outside lane - that is DREADFUL driving, you're the kind of person that causes accidents, not prevents them. I generally do about 100-110 kph on a motorway run mainly for mpg in the INSIDE LANE, but if I do have to overtake a truck, I'll accelerate to 120-130kph so as not to slow down the flow of traffic.

You cant assume that 120kph = everyone in the same league. Everyones cars have different stopping distances. An old anglia doing 120kph would be far more dangerous than a Ford Focus doing 140kph.

The autobahns in Germany work wonderfully and there are no speedlimits there.

:rolleyes: Read all my posts

commited wrote:
    Are you for real?

...... I generally do about 100-110 kph on a motorway run mainly for mpg in the INSIDE LANE, ......

Don't use "inside" and "outside" or "nearside" nor "Farside" they are realtive terms and thus could mean either Right OR Left. Stick with R or L and I'll refrain from Fast and Slow.

matt cork wrote:
    great thread this, very interesting read.
    'is indicating now banned in ireland??'

!!

As some English guy once told me, "you don't need indicators if you have you can accelerate" or words to that effect. I tend to agree with him..

I do find it odd, when people indicate to nobody.... ie, nearest car is 1/4 mile away and they indicate.... for whom?. The Invisible Man? If there is nothing about, why bother, saves energy and bulbs.

My mother complained to me, I was passing out something again without indicating.... What if he turned into you are you passed?.

Logic:
    If he cannot see my car, why should I suppose s/he will see a little indicator.

If he is about to turn across the path of a passing car, don't you think it is appropriate S/HE should have THEIR indicator on.. after all, what is my indicator going to tell me about the trajectory of someone elses car, :rolleyes:

I fugure indicators are for close quarter combat.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Didn't we go through this on the 'how to piss people off' thread?

This is one case where I think the Americans have the more sensible laws. The operative there is 'Normal flow of traffic', and has nothing to do with what the speed limits say.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Nothing is more likely to make me hog the overtaking lane than some arshole flying up behind me flashing lights and beeping horns 6 inches from my bumper. i.e. if I am overtaking someone who is driving at 100 kmh and I am lets say doing 110 kmh when dickhead in his impreza comes up behind me at 150kmh and does the aforementioned tactics, am I going to get out of his way. My bollix am I. In fact it is more likely that I will slow down to 100 kmh and cruise at 100kmh alongside the other car to teach dickhead a lesson that the flashing, driving 6 inches from my bumper tactics don't work on most people. However if dickhead had kept a safe distance while I was overtaking I would gladly have moved back in to the slow lane and dickhead is free to go on endangering his own and everybody elses life...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

AMurphy wrote:
    As some English guy once told me, "you don't need indicators if you have you can accelerate" or words to that effect. I tend to agree with him..

I do find it odd, when people indicate to nobody.... ie, nearest car is 1/4 mile away and they indicate.... for whom?. The Invisible Man? If there is nothing about, why bother, saves energy and bulbs.

My mother complained to me, I was passing out something again without indicating.... What if he turned into you are you passed?.

Logic:
    If he cannot see my car, why should I suppose s/he will see a little indicator.

If he is about to turn across the path of a passing car, don't you think it is appropriate S/HE should have THEIR indicator on.. after all, what is my indicator going to tell me about the trajectory of someone elses car, :rolleyes:

I fugure indicators are for close quarter combat.
    See this is an example of exactly what's wrong with driving in this country.

The rules of the road are The Rules/Law and not intended to be interpreted and used selectively based on the driver's own mood/opinion/whatever.

Your point about saving energy/bulbs for the few seconds that it takes is not one I'd suggest giving to a cop if you get pulled over under one of the new Points offenses. Also, the human eye is drawn to movement and thus it's quite likely that other driver you referred to would catch a (suddenly) flashing light/indicator in his mirror. Ironically you don't seem to recognise the condtradiction though when you say he should have HIS indicators on if he moves out.

Note: This isn't intended as a personal attack, merely used as a convienient example of the careless and inconsiderate driving that goes on every day on our roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

TheBazman wrote:
    .. So move up right behind them (which the AA recommend btw),...

Somehow, I don't believe this. It's dangerous, full stop.

Cite?

[edit] spelling!

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

AMurphy wrote:
    Don't use "inside" and "outside" or "nearside" nor "Farside" they are realtive terms and thus could mean either Right OR Left. Stick with R or L and I'll refrain from Fast and Slow.
    Not in Ireland they dont. Inside is the inside lane, outside is the outside lane. We only drive on one side of the road here. I've also never seen or been on a 3 lane motorway in Ireland.

Advertisement