Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FS Charter - PM dealing

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

so what am I banned for? i didn't break any rule in the charter.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

exactiv wrote:
    so what am I banned for? i didn't break any rule in the charter.
    It's written in bold at the top of the charter article, I just phrased it nicely:
    FS Charter wrote:
    If you are not familiar with these rules, you forfeit your privilege to posting on the For Sales section.

You can't be familiar with the rules if you haven't read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

CuLT wrote:
    It's not your place to decide what rules are and aren't needed. You have absolutely no flying notion of what we have to deal with, and your posts prove as much. Thanks, have a nice day.

I know its not my place to decide, i know you're the boss and the rules of the charter are up to you, but banning people for not reading the charter is a bit stupid imo. If modding the place is becoming such a hassle to you why not step down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

exactiv wrote:
    Answer me this. It's a black and white question.

Do you HAVE to read a forums charter to browse a forum?

Why do you think most if not all charters on each forum say "READ THIS FIRST". It's hard to make it much clearer.

Say you never posted on a forum, but just browsed it. In that case then no you probably wouldn't read the charter [you should, but you probably wouldn't. I mean who would].

If you don't reply to a thread, then you won't get a PM because the seller won't know who you are.

However, as soon as you reply to a thread, you are leaving yourself open to unsolicited off-thread dealings. In that case not having read the charter is what will have got you a banning. So wouldn't you think it would be best practice to read the charter before you click on anything?
    exactiv wrote:
    Forget it, I'm outta here.

That used to mean something, a long time ago.

I haven't tried to sell anything in the FS section for quite a while.

So how does the ban apply if I'm not selling/posting something?

• Advertisement

I know its not my place to decide, i know you're the boss and the rules of the charter are up to you, but banning people for not reading the charter is a bit stupid imo. If modding the place is becoming such a hassle to you why not step down?
    Who said it was a hassle? I enjoy making the FS category a well oiled machine. If I hated it, I'd stop, plain and simple. There's a lot of people who don't understand this mentality, fortunately there's about 300 people who know exactly what I'm talking about.
    exactiv wrote:
    I haven't tried to sell anything in the FS section for quite a while.

Then this ban should be inconsequential to you. All you have to do is go to http://nologin.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=355 and you can browse away to your hearts content.
    The ban simply prevents you from posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

If modding the place is becoming such a hassle to you why not step down?

It wouldn't be such a hassle if people just did what was politely asked of them in the first place.

I don't see you offering your help in moderating Fighting Irish. Tell you what, go away for a while, put together a FS charter that you would stand over. Post it and leave it for review and comparison against the existing one.

In fact, why doesn't eveyone that has a problem with the FS charter do that. It's fine to complain about one or two rules, but in the overall context of a charter in its entirity I've not seen anyone give a charter that they think is better than the existing one.

am I banned for admitting I didn't read all of the charter? just to clarify. and for how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

exactiv wrote:
    Forget it, I'm outta here.
    Don't go, you're fun.

Gordon: Don't go, you're fun.
    That really helps this discussion.

• Advertisement

exactiv wrote:
    am I banned for admitting I didn't read all of the charter? just to clarify. and for how long?
    Yep, that's what you're banned for.

I haven't decided how long the ban will be yet, since you've been the only person I can recall in recent times who has been silly enough to publicly declare that he didn't read the charter, and had no intention to.

I guess when I'm satisfied that you've read the charter. Now, the only way I can think of doing this is a little bit more effort than either of us are going to put into internet forum politics, so I'm going to assume that you will be familiar with the charter in about two weeks, at which point I'll unban you.

That would seem more than fair to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭roger 2006 yeah

a two week ban with a FS Charter quiz at the end to see if he passes :D

CuLT wrote:
    Who said it was a hassle? I enjoy making the FS category a well oiled machine. If I hated it, I'd stop, plain and simple. There's a lot of people who don't understand this mentality, fortunately there's about 300 people who know exactly what I'm talking about.

Then this ban should be inconsequential to you. All you have to do is go to http://nologin.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=355 and you can browse away to your hearts content.
    The ban simply prevents you from posting.

I understand how hard it might be modding the FS boards and i have respect for you and the other mods that moderate it. :) We'll leave it at that

It wouldn't be such a hassle if people just did what was politely asked of them in the first place.

I don't see you offering your help in moderating Fighting Irish. Tell you what, go away for a while, put together a FS charter that you would stand over. Post it and leave it for review and comparison against the existing one.

In fact, why doesn't eveyone that has a problem with the FS charter do that. It's fine to complain about one or two rules, but in the overall context of a charter in its entirity I've not seen anyone give a charter that they think is better than the existing one.

I am not saying i want to mod or make a charter, all i am saying is the rule " banning people for not reading the charter " is useless and stupid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

I can't believe I actually read this entire thread. Handbag fcuking central.

I am not saying i want to mod or make a charter, all i am saying is the rule " banning people for not reading the charter is useless and stupid " :)

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion; that particular rule is there for one purpose essentially; we use it to ensure as many people as possible read the charter. Unfortunately these tactics are much more effective at making sure the rules are adhered to, as we have discovered over the years.

If you think you're going to be banned for any small infraction, you're more likely to make sure you don't make those infractions by knowing the charter inside/out.

The majority of reasonably intelligent posters won't have to do any more than skim the main rules to know the score, maybe referencing every now and then just to clarify something. The problem is that there are a large number of less than reasonably intelligent posters as the net becomes more and more accessible and boards.ie become more and more renowned.

As I said, this is the first time I've actually banned somebody for this, and I expect it will be the last for some time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Jesus H Christ.
    Thread Locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement