Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

could "to live is to die" by metallica be considered death metal?

• 30-03-2006 2:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

it sounds alot like songs by nile, like "unas slayer of the gods".

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Yeah, Hetfield really nails those vocals doesn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Does it matter? A song is either good or not good. These ****ty terminologies only matter if you stack cd's onto the shelves in HMV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Is there death metal out there that doesn't have the vocals of someone dying in agony? (Genuine question here). If so, I might well give it another listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Is there death metal out there that doesn't have the vocals of someone dying in agony? (Genuine question here). If so, I might well give it another listen.

i hate death metal but i'm loving opeth. got their last album there when it came out, just out of curiosity, and i'm loving them. even the throaty deep stuff, which i dislike most of the time, a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Nevermore.

Some people would argue that they're not Death Metal, but in my opinion the music comes very, very close at least. So yes, Death Metal, but with melodic vocals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Not really, as said, no vocals, and not a blastbeat to be heard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

quick answer to this thread = NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭BlackSabbath

Nevermore.

Some people would argue that they're not Death Metal, but in my opinion the music comes very, very close at least. So yes, Death Metal, but with melodic vocals.

that's what i thought. it's way too technical to be thrash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

He's describing Nevermore, not Metallica.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Im agreeing with doctor j here, all theese different subgenres are gay, If its good its good who cares if its regular metal or death metal?

• Advertisement

Patricide wrote:
    Im agreeing with doctor j here, all theese different subgenres are gay, If its good its good who cares if its regular metal or death metal?

because they don't sound the same, so much that people could like one subgenre of metal and dislike a bunch of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I don't know what half the genres are any more. I mean it seems now that random words with the term "core" slapped onto the end and bang! a new genre. Metalcore? Noisecore? Mallcore? Who cores?

*continues old man rants elsewhere*

John2 wrote:
    I don't know what half the genres are any more. I mean it seems now that random words with the term "core" slapped onto the end and bang! a new genre. Metalcore? Noisecore? Mallcore? Who cores?

*continues old man rants elsewhere*

all these core bands suck anyway.

Aren't Mastodon metalcore? Or am I showing huge, flabby ignorance?

It's the genres that suck, good bands exist everywhere, much like bad bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Charm Offensive

all these core bands suck anyway.

:rolleyes:

Patricide wrote:

its just a handy way of describing what type of metal it is... doesnt mean 1 type is better then others but if there was nosubgenres it would be like saying you bought a ford car or opel etc.... big difference between models, same with metal there is a big difference between the different types

John2 wrote:
    Aren't Mastodon metalcore? Or am I showing huge, flabby ignorance?

I have no idea, and frankly, couldn't give a buttons as to what subgenre they are. They ****ing rock, and that's what matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I am just waiting for the new range of "core" music - apple-core, earth-core, core-core, en-core - oh the possibilities are endless :)

Ph3n0m wrote:
    I am just waiting for the new range of "core" music - apple-core, earth-core, core-core, en-core - oh the possibilities are endless :)

hahaha, i like it, so what are the characteristics of eart-core music, sounds HEAVY. haha:D

the only expressions i hate are "true metal", that is sad, as i dont think there is a such a thing as false metal

gline wrote:
    i dont think there is a such a thing as false metal

You need to get some Manowar into you, stat! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Doctor J wrote:
    You need to get some Manowar into you, stat! :)
    And then descend to some Hammerfall, to see just how false metal can be after the gods of true metal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

The subgenres of metal are to distinguish between the vast variances of the music, although, there are entirely too many. But go listen to, say, Nile(death metal), and follow it up with some Metallica instrumental, and you'll see my point. I couldn't stop laughing when I heard some Nile song to which they had their guitars tuned to -A- :eek:

edit: oops, strayed from the topic, well I wouldn't really consider ANY Metallica Death Metal, despite how close some of it does come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

How about iCore? A sub genre of metal that nobody used to pay any attention to but now everyone thinks is so cool :D !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Spoderman

I always thought that it was the band that fell into these genres as opposed to the songs....so I can't see how To Live Is To Die could be considered Death Metal just because it sounds like an intro to a song by a Death Metal band.

Way too many genres anyway for my liking. I gave up on that terminology when someone told me that Slipknot fell into the category of 'Industrial Strength Thrash Metal'.

Oh, to bring back the days when there was only Thrash, Speed, Death and Black

Spoderman wrote:
    Oh, to bring back the days when there was only Thrash, Speed, Death and Black

What!? And have no Viking Metal? Are you MAD!? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Spoderman

Maybe a little Amon Amarth....The Crusher.....but that's all you're allowed, y'hear?!?!?!

When I was a lad thrash and speed were the same thing. There was no black metal yet and what is now called "Hair Metal" (?WTF) was called Glam rock, which made sense because is there such a thing as bald metal or alopetia metal? Don't we all have hair, pretty much? There was heavy, thrash, power and, after 87, death. Ahhh things were simpler then, a much less anal time indeed, happy days.

You had no applecore?

Acid Reign had their UKAC I suppose... not much of a movement as to warrant a genre of it's own :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Doctor J wrote:
    When I was a lad thrash and speed were the same thing. There was no black metal yet and what is now called "Hair Metal" (?WTF) was called Glam rock, which made sense because is there such a thing as bald metal or alopetia metal? Don't we all have hair, pretty much? There was heavy, thrash, power and, after 87, death. Ahhh things were simpler then, a much less anal time indeed, happy days.

you also had more hair back then :)

Advertisement